06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
User Info
Does anyone have a particular salt grinder they are happily impressed with? I need one that is easy on the wrists and still able to grind coarse to medium salt grains. Thanks.Shy

0 35
 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have many pepper grinders and a few salt grinders. Above all the rest, Peugeot grinders stand alone. Many colors, sizes and varieties and the grinder mechanisms are just fantastic.

35 2,703
 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
I agree with Billy. My wife and I received Peugeot salt and pepper grinders as a gift almost 5 years ago, and they work great. We don't use any others.

184 12,003
 06-12-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've had a Magnum Plus pepper grinder for about 8 years and it's a beast! It holds more than a cup of peppercorns and the output is amazing. I had a Peugeot pepper grinder and it was nice, it lasted a long time, probably over a decade before it just wore out. The Peugeot was made from wood and it felt much nicer then the Magnum which is made from plastic. If my Magnum broke tomorrow I'd get another one, or four.

Here is a link to some reviews:

http://www.unicornmills.com/Press/Reviews/

According to the website the Magnum is for pepper only but they carry a whole bunch of other grinders that are similar to the magnum.

7 1,018
 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
One of the few salt grinders I have found that doesn't use a metal grinding mechanism. Salt+metal = corrosion.

http://www.vicfirthgourmet.com/mills/usa-wood-mills/

2 59
 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
Thanks, Everyone! I think after researching these suggestions, I'm going to go with the Vic Firth grinder first. I do have a pair of his drumsticks, afterall. When I read his name in your post Superbleu, I kept thinking...I know that name..who is that name?? The drumstick guy. Then seeing the website, I found there is a store in Seattle here, The Bulkley Group on 4th, where I can go and try them out to see how well I like the knobs and how easy are they on the wrists. So thats what I am going to do. And they are a little softer on the budget than the Peugeot's and the Magnum (and the Magnum's didn't have too much to say about salt...they seemed to be mostly about the pepper). I didn't think of the salt on the metal...hmm.. Vic Firth's are made of nylon. And it works well? The Peugeot's have a two year warranty. Anyway, I can go check it out...Thanks again, all.

0 35
 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
User Info
If you are I'm Seattle check out Dicks resturaunt supply in sodo too. They have better prices than amazon.

2 59
 06-15-2012, 07:41 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
We just have a basic OXO, but it works just fine. I haven't found that perfect consistency in my salt makes a big difference.

Disclaimer, I mostly work with coarse sea salt or kosher salt when cooking, so the grinder is just a bit of table ware at our house.

10 1,858
 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
We uses reasonable cheap and cheerful IKEA grinders - the grinding mechanism is adjustable enough to go from dust to chucks. Sits well in the hand too, and easy to fill and clean. As an added bonus they hold a lot of salt (and pepper) and you can easily see how much is left.

3 3,580