04-30-2015, 04:17 AM
User Info
Has anyone ever used one? I am seriously considering going back. Seems I just can't find a great razor. The ATT M2 is my favorite, but it's so harsh. Tried a red tip all this week and it barely cuts anything. I think my lather is finally on point, but it is just frustrating. I have coarse hair but a large Adam's apple and it's hard to get a good shave on my neck. I've got a vintage injector I'm about to try with some Personna 74 blades and see how that goes. It's like no matter what I do I either don't get a close, comfortable shave, or I end up nicking myself from trying to get close. Usually it wouldn't matter but being having to shave everyday for work I am beginning to hate shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 1,010
 04-30-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
I've never used an Atra but have experienced the same shaving results as you. For me, the Gillette Guard has given me close shaves without irrritation. It's a simple one blade cartridge (no goo strip) that pivots up and down on a lightweight handle. Several vendors have them available or they can be found on eBay. 

9 202
 04-30-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
The Atra was my go to razor for about 5-7 years. Now, only a memory.  Angel

39 3,951
 04-30-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I'm going to put my head on the chopping block here...

One shouldn't need to "try" to get a close shave, it just happens by using the right gear with proper technique. Instead of going to a cartridge are you certain technique isn't to blame?

If you previously used a cartridge and moved to blades, I'd wager a great deal that it's too much pressure that's causing the problem. Cartridges require pressure to work and once someone learns to apply pressure it's a tough habit to break.

My buddy was having similar problems and I'd tell him, "Use no pressure.". I told him that a number of times and each time he assured me that's what he was doing. Then one day he called me to tell me, "When you say "use no pressure" that is really what you mean, isn't it!?". Then he proceeded to tell me how he was about to give up when he decided to just let the razor do the work and not use any pressure. He got the best shave of his life, hence the call.

Your lather should be good now so I'm not going to dwell on that. You want a creamy almost yogurt like consistency that's slick and cushiony. I've seen it written that a lather of that type will resist a close shave by a mild razor because it keeps the blade away from the skin. But IMO that's precisely the lather one should strive for.

If you're willing to try a few SE razors I can send some for you to try. All you have to lose is return postage because I'll want them back to  loan out again to others. PM me if you want to take me up on that.

32 6,470
 04-30-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I used an Atra through the 80's never a complaint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 766
 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM
User Info
I would have to agree with Brian, here. The main reason for getting a good shave with almost any type of razor is technique. Once that is 'perfected', the shaves should start improving. I can't tell you how long it took me to finally understand the 'no pressure' thing and, now, my shaves are just wonderful.
I wish you the best of luck.

83 21,113
 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(04-30-2015, 04:17 AM) pid=\530812' Wrote:I have coarse hair but a large Adam's apple and it's hard to get a good shave on my neck.   
 That was my biggest challenge as well being one of the last areas of my face to see improvement. It was only as technique was refined that I started to manage my neck without irritation or nicks on the Adam's apple. I believe you can get there with time.
Good Luck.

61 4,628
 04-30-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
From what I've read, the Atra is pretty highly regarded for a cart.

I tend to agree with the sentiments above though.  Refine your technique, and I think you'll be happier.

My remaining tough spot has been the right side of my neck, particularly near my Adam's apple.  The breakthrough for me, I think was truly studying the grain of my beard there and finding a method of attack that really fits it (downward for pass 1, across from the right for pass 2, and upward for pass 3).  I think you will continue to have problems - DE, SE, or cart, until you figure this out.  You'll struggle to get a close shave there, and may press harder to try to get it, and may get irritation as a result.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

0 1,098
 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(04-30-2015, 07:57 AM)celestino Wrote: I would have to agree with Brian, here. The main reason for getting a good shave with almost any type of razor is technique. Once that is 'perfected', the shaves should start improving. I can't tell you how long it took me to finally understand the 'no pressure' thing and, now, my shaves are just wonderful.
I wish you the best of luck.

+1

7 2,359
 05-01-2015, 03:03 AM
User Info
The three steps to a great shaves are - in chronological order - good prep, good lather, and good technique. Once you master those steps it almost matter what razor or blade you're using - DE, SE, straight or even cart...

3 4,675