05-01-2015, 06:19 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Gentlemen it occurrd to me this monthmg that I might have found the culprit of my poor shaves. You see, they aren't always poor, just mainly poor on my right neck area. Then I had a thought, what if I use my left hand to shave my right begins era, the one that causes so many problems. I mean could use my my right hand in my right neck area cause to much pressure or wrong angle. This area seems to always be nicked with stubble left behind. It's always my trouble area and I finally realise this could be an issue with it. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 970
 05-01-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
IMO, it's not which hand you use, rather what angle you maintain. 

39 3,868
 05-01-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
All about angle of the razor and let the weight of the razor do the work. Little to no pressure. Don't forget it's beard reduction. 

49 356
 05-01-2015, 06:38 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I understand all that, but I get a great shave got one this morning on left side of face cheek and neck area, got great shave on right check area, but right neck area is not irritated, but stubble left and always a nick in that area. This is usually the result. If I can get a BBS in every area except this one always then why not there. Am I missing a secret?. Also, can someone describe the proper angle?. I mean I have saw some guys shave at 30 degrees but some guys shave with their wrist up in hair some guys shave with wrist pointing down. It seems angle is what I need to learn for this area but might this area require a different angle?

15 970
 05-01-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
(05-01-2015, 06:38 AM)tsimmns Wrote: I understand all that, but I get a great shave got one this morning on left side of face cheek and neck area, got great shave on right check area, but right neck area is not irritated, but stubble left and always a nick in that area.   This is usually the result.   If I can get a BBS in every area except this one always then why not there.   Am I missing a secret?.  Also, can someone describe the proper angle?. I mean I have saw some guys shave at 30 degrees but some guys shave with their wrist up in hair some guys shave with wrist pointing down.   It seems angle is what I need to learn for this area but might this area require a different angle?

I don't think that part of your neck needs a different angle. Try this: Turn your head in the opposite direction of the side of the neck you are shaving; you might also lift your head slightly, so the results are the tautest skin possible. You should hear the hairs being sliced. One more thing, not everyone's anatomy is the same. Maybe the hairs on that side of your neck grow at an EXTREME angle, i.e. almost parallel to your skin. If you push too hard and/or repeatedly shave that area, you are going to irritate that skin. I have a patch of this and it is very difficult to get a BBS in that region. Sometimes, a DFS has to suffice. JMO.  Biggrin

39 3,868
 05-01-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
When I started shaving recently with a straight razor, I was told and on the videos they said to pull the skin so the razor glides better. I also have problems with the neck so I decided to try it with my DE razor. It worked great and there was no irritation or nics. Light pressure and I could get a BSS with 2 passes. Watch Lynn's video at Straight Razor Design. It's the best at showing how to shave the neck. He uses a straight but the same technique works with a DE.

6 161
 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Primo I would be comfortable with a DFS there. It's just I hate that area, it's like I know before I shave that it's going to give me problems. I try all the advice, but only getting to shave once makes it no fun, ha. I'll also watch Lynn's videos for tips on that area.

15 970
 05-01-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
(05-01-2015, 06:56 AM)tsimmns Wrote: Primo I would be comfortable with a DFS  there.   It's just I hate that area, it's like I know before I shave that it's going to give me problems.  I try all the advice, but only getting to shave once makes it no fun, ha.   I'll also watch Lynn's videos for tips on that area.

I used to be "afraid" of my right jaw line. It was more sensitive and prone to weepers. I 'hated' that part of my shave. After over a year of my return to DE shaving, that issue has resolved. I suspect that will be the case with your neck. Technique, technique, technique. 

39 3,868
 05-01-2015, 07:06 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I only use both hands when I shave with a SR. With a DE/SE I use my dominant hand, right hand. No real problems either way.

To find a good starting point for angle of the blade with a DE you could try:

Placing the head flat on your face with the handle parallel to the floor.

Rotate the handle down slowly till you can just feel the blade.

That should give you a good angle to start with.

It is all angle and no pressure just the weight of the razor with a good lather too.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-01-2015, 07:08 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was lectured at length by a highly regarded trap and skeet shooter on body posture,swing etc etc. Then somebody actually filmed him. He broke everyone of his 'rules' with his own body language. Angle and practice will make or break your shaving. but if you want to switch hands switch hands.

2 3,171
 05-01-2015, 07:10 AM
User Info
My neck are is very chiseled with valleys. Underneath your neck you have Flexor neck muscles. Sometimes by pushing those out you can flatten the area under your jaw line out instead of trying to navigate the dips and valleys in your neck. From what I have seen this is usually a common cause for my nicks and irritation when I was new to the game. 

49 356
 05-01-2015, 09:12 AM
User Info
I considered the same hypothesis when trying to get the right side of my neck figured out.  It seems reasonable that it might be harder for you to get the angle right with one hand, so the other might help.  Additional practice with either hand will probably make things better.

As I mentioned previously, I think carefully mapping your beard in that area will also pay dividends.

0 1,052
 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Shannon I have some wirey weird angle there that's for sure. I feel I have the map of my beard figured out, but maybe I need to consider something else for this area.

15 970
 05-01-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
I still think it is all about technique, but have you tried just using a different razor in that trouble area or even using a cart?

82 21,056
 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Celestino I have. When I used carts this was always the same thing. I think I might be using at Imy angle here as when I go across to left side I feel I have perfect angle. However, when I come here I feel razor and blade is straight without an angle at all which I guess would make angle to steep. Hard to describe

15 970
 05-01-2015, 05:32 PM
User Info
Was it a pivoting head cart? If so, that might suggest shaving in a different directional sequence, or stretching the skin s bit might help, since the pivoting cart head kind of sets the angle for you.

0 1,052
 05-01-2015, 05:52 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Yes, I have never tried a non pivoting cart. Always used Mach 3 to Fusion of Schick 3. Have tried a somake edge Bic but tore me up the time I have.

15 970
 05-01-2015, 06:07 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
If anyone has ever saw Andrewj post and face pics on here, that is what my wirey beard looks like.

15 970
 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
(05-01-2015, 04:50 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Celestino I have.   When I used carts this was always the same thing.   I think I might be using at Imy angle here as when I go across to left side I feel I have perfect angle.   However, when I come here I feel razor and blade is straight without an angle at all which I guess would make angle to steep.   Hard to describe

I have to say that it still sounds like an issue with your technique and angle. I have some trouble areas that I can never get BBS, but I do get a DFS there without much irritation and I am content with that. 
Just try a few more weeks/months of practice in that area your favourite razor/blade/soap and light pressure and see what happens. Best of luck to you!  Thumbup

82 21,056
 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
dominant hand is the best way to go for me.
when shavetting or straight shavng, two hands work fine.

53 760