05-01-2015, 12:33 PM
User Info
I'm doing a tourist trip, and my choice for this trip was Ikon razor #101 with OSS handle, Grooming CO. synthetic brush, with Polsiver super iridiun blade, L'Occitane CADE crean and Balm after shave .The choice IMO was the right one. I wonder what would normally use for your trip.

29 1,084
 05-01-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
If I am simply away for a couple of days, I take my Feather AS-D2, Wee Scot, Arko Stick, and a small glass phial, into which I decant an aftershave. Otherwise, I take my whole shave den.  Biggrin

39 3,869
 05-01-2015, 02:30 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-01-2015, 12:33 PM)Lorenzo Wrote: I'm doing a tourist trip, and my choice for this trip was Ikon razor #101 with OSS handle, Grooming CO. synthetic brush, with Polsiver super iridiun blade, L'Occitane CADE crean and Balm after shave .The choice IMO was the right one. I wonder what would normally use for your trip.

My wife is a retired employee of a major airline, which gives us some wonderful flying privileges, but we usually therefore fly space-available.  When flying space available, prudence dictates that one not check bags, instead carrying everything in cabin luggage.  DE blades are prohibited in the cabin of all domestic flights.   Therefore, I never, ever, carry a DE razor with me when I fly.  Fortunately, I can get just as close a shave with a Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor as with any DE razor, so these days, the MR3 neo is what I carry.  As we are rarely away from home for more than a week at a time, and I can easily get a dozen shaves from a single MR3 cartridge, I need not even carry a spare cartridge.  

As for the prep part, I carry a L'Occitaine Plisson synthetic brush (in a tube), and have used a variety of soaps with it, usually only one kind per trip, however.  In the two separate week-long trips that we took in the month of April, I took a bar of Provence Santté Green Tea soap on the trip to the Bay Area, and a TSA-approved 3.4 oz (100 ml) tube of Kiss My Face Lavender and Shea shaving cream on the trip to Venezia and Bergamo; I carry a palm-size thick glass bowl in my Dopp kit for brush loading whatever soap or cream I am using before face-lathering. 

Works for me.

0 1,049
 05-01-2015, 02:52 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Travelling by car I take a DE, a shave stick, a synthetic brush in a tube, some AS, some EDT, a styptic pencil and an alum block. By air I sub a bunch of twin blade disposables for the DE and the liquids go into regulation sized containers. I don't travel with SRs as I find that would be a pita for me.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-02-2015, 05:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Our last trip, my kit consisted of a merkur/ikon frankenrazor w/crystal blade, omega synthetic brush and proraso red cream. i eschewed the pre-post balm because of the glass jar and excess weight considerations. i may leave the synth brush home in the future and bring in its place a semogue 1470 (which is a delightful little brush, btw!). when we travel by car i like to bring more gear.

4 1,915
 05-02-2015, 07:25 PM
User Info
(05-01-2015, 12:33 PM)Lorenzo Wrote: I'm doing a tourist trip, and my choice for this trip was Ikon razor #101 with OSS handle, Grooming CO. synthetic brush, with Polsiver super iridiun blade, L'Occitane CADE crean and Balm after shave .The choice IMO was the right one. I wonder what would normally use for your trip.

I stay at a hotel for 3 days every 2 weeks, so I'm used to bring my travel gear with me.

I have gone back and forth between synthetics and basgers and even no brushes as my travel brush, but after my latest and most likely final synthetic of this generation, the Edwin Jagger XL faux horn, which I have owned and sold twice  Rolleyes - I'm done using syntheics. They give me lousy feel and bad carma during my shave.

I have no carma problæems, when it comes to using my Fusion cart on a quality handle, so I bring my Edwin Jagger Barley chrome fusion handle and a couple of Fusion carts.
I then have my solid Tabac stick and my tube of Lavanda shacving cream. I super lather, whenever I have the time.

My new travel brush will once again be a badger, but the smallest badger in my den, the Vie Long JL Petree 2-Band 23 mm 'Rover' handled badger, which has a 50 mm loft.
I will try to make sure it gets dried out between uses. I just prefer badger so vastly over synthetics and everything else, that I'd rather risk ruining a badger than not to bring it in my travel gear.
They perform so much better than synthetics for face lathering, that it's not even funny to talk about it.

24 5,840
 05-02-2015, 07:56 PM
User Info
There is travel, and then there is travel... for my GoBag my kit is still the same as I described in this thread. For longer, more planned trips where space isn't a premium, I pick and choose a bit more from what I got in my den.

3 4,373
 05-02-2015, 08:05 PM
User Info
I carry my shave kit carry on because I just don't trust the baggage handlers anymore. I use a north face dopp bag. Above the tie h1 base with cap on a ikon Se handle, IL Ceppo PB5177 travel brush pure badger, ogallala bay rum and sandalwood shave stick, AOS lavender cream, oil and balm, Jack Black's beard lube. Deodorant and body wash and toothpaste and brush of coarse. I always try to ship a blade or two in advance of our trip. Or if I know I won't be able to get any while there, I try to always look before vacation if there's a art of shaving around as to get blades there.

As for not trusting bag handlers anymore. One of my electric razors was stolen and some other items a couple years back turned a good vacation into a bad one real quick. As for the airlines they replaced most my things but what a hassle. Not worth it especially with some of my shaving equipment now. It is irreplaceable as it is no longer made anymore.

4 208
 05-04-2015, 10:01 AM
User Info
It was very cool to know the experiences of each of you. I'll confess something too, I don't trust people handling our luggage, and I don't take razor and brush that I'd like actually. I am very careful with my stuff and would be very upset if disappear with my favorite shaving stuff. 

Unfortunately this is not good for us by reducing our pleasure to start the day with a big smile on our face. I do not want to say also that our equipment we carry is bad, I'd like to have the freedom to vary over my choices without fear of being robbed, that's it.

29 1,084
 05-04-2015, 12:17 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I am on a long trip as I just sold my home and am looking and traveling to find a new place to live.  So hotel stays are the norm for now.  My set up is simple, Xpec and Blenheim Bouquet creams, Aesop shaving bowl, CH2 in Man and Hive in Man from Simpson's, Feather Blades (disposal in either my Sharp Container or the Hotel's which is located in the Men's room), EJ89 head on a UFO Titan handle.  When I move I have an old eyeglass case for the razor and an Eshave travel bag for the brushes.  Everything else just gets packed.  (Note: I use an old Castle Forbes container for the Blenheim Bouquet cream, lighter than the glass jar).  This system works for me but since I am traveling by car it is easier than going through sticky fingers of TSA where in the past half my stuff was 'lost'. 

2 479
 05-05-2015, 03:53 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I am going away for 2 + weeks. I plan to take: My Merkur razor, a pack of blades, a shave stick, my Simpson Travel Brush, a small plastic jar of RSB, a few small samples of splash that I got from Garry , some samples of after shave, and a small roll on of Skin Tend. Now when I get to my destinations (Italy and Spain) I hope to load up on some ABC, Myrosol, and maybe a Vie Long Shave Brush if I ‘m lucky.

21 447
 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
Hi Harry,

Good trip, good luck and good shave !!!

29 1,084
 05-07-2015, 03:59 AM
User Info
I usually bring my Parker travel razor kit. My speick soap stick and l'occitane synthetic brush and after shave balm. 

3 71
 05-07-2015, 08:42 AM
User Info
[Image: 2ds3imo.jpg]

I take a Trac II. I used to take a DE or Feather AC straight, but I've come to prefer the ease of a twin-blade cartridge. I can take it abroad without concern, replacement cartridges are easily and cheaply available, and it'll deliver a good shave whether I'm in a tiny, dark bathroom at 5am or luxuriating over a shave done at my leisure.

The brush and soap are what make the difference to me. To that end, a Plisson synthetic and whatever soap or cream under 100ml that I fancy are perfect. It's currently a LEA stick, but I have La Toja and Palmolive waiting their turn. Aftershave is a decanted 30ml atomiser of whatever I have on the go - currently Mennen Skin Bracer.

0 143
 05-08-2015, 06:26 AM
User Info
Just got back for 6 weeks in France, I carry a Fatboy, small tub of B&M soap, small container Ogallalla bay rum, blades, T&H travel brush. All I need and fits in small container in checked luggage!

8 72
 05-08-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
(05-01-2015, 02:30 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

My wife is a retired employee of a major airline, which gives us some wonderful flying privileges, but we usually therefore fly space-available.  When flying space available, prudence dictates that one not check bags, instead carrying everything in cabin luggage.  DE blades are prohibited in the cabin of all domestic flights.   Therefore, I never, ever, carry a DE razor with me when I fly.  Fortunately, I can get just as close a shave with a Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor as with any DE razor, so these days, the MR3 neo is what I carry.  As we are rarely away from home for more than a week at a time, and I can easily get a dozen shaves from a single MR3 cartridge, I need not even carry a spare cartridge.  

As for the prep part, I carry a L'Occitaine Plisson synthetic brush (in a tube), and have used a variety of soaps with it, usually only one kind per trip, however.  In the two separate week-long trips that we took in the month of April, I took a bar of Provence Santté Green Tea soap on the trip to the Bay Area, and a TSA-approved 3.4 oz (100 ml) tube of Kiss My Face Lavender and Shea shaving cream on the trip to Venezia and Bergamo; I carry a palm-size thick glass bowl in my Dopp kit for brush loading whatever soap or cream I am using before face-lathering. 

Works for me.
I did a Post weeks ago on the TSA and my business trip.  I had carry on luggage and had a EJ DE 89 and a blade in a metal razor blade case I bought on Ebay.  I took a tube of creme and a very small container of aftershave balm and a synthetic EJ brush in a travel case.  Everything was put into a plastic container and put in my carry on.  I was surprised it went through both ways with no problems.  A TSA employee said it depends on the airport and screener.  I never travel with any straight edge or expensive razors when my luggage is loaded.  The EJ DE 89 works just fine.

6 161
 05-08-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
Interesting to know your information. A good suggestion is to carry with you the razor without blade and your brush, and the blade, cream, after shave in luggage that dispatch. 

I feel more comfortable and confident take with me my razor and my brush. In my travels I always take my camera equipment with me, is easy to take one razor and brush in my backpack. Two things that I like in one package. 

29 1,084
 05-10-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
Trac II when traveling.

0 7
 05-10-2015, 02:48 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I always carry my Merkur Bakelite. TGCo brush and a tub of cream.

4 447
 05-11-2015, 01:31 PM
User Info
I forgot to mention that I always take a tooth brush to clean up my razor, I always clean the razor and the blade after shaving

29 1,084