05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
User Info
I have been straight razor shaving now for a little less than a year and have tried various blade grinds from hollow to 1/4, to wedge and prefer the hollow grinds.  I would now like to try an extra hollow, or singing blade.  I would appreciate recommendations on makes/models I should look for.  Also, among currently made razors, I have been looking at the Boker Silver Steel 6/8 Extra hollow ground.  Has anyone used this razor, and how do you like it?
Thanks,
Tom

0 7
 05-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Thiers-Issard Evide Sonnant 

I have the 5/8 and the 6/8. Both are fantastic shavers. TI will not come shave ready from the factory or most stores. If you are looking for one shave ready Phil at Classicedge.ca does an excellent job setting razors up before he sells them. 

7 451
 05-01-2015, 02:44 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have mostly vintage SRs and there are some very nice vintage extra hollow ground Solingen made razors out there. Some of them are ground thin enough that they are ground with a belly in the blade to help stiffen it. A relatively inexpensive vintage razor that looks to me to be extra hollow ground is the plain Double Duck #1 Special. Another nice one is the Hess 44 stainless razor. Anyway don't rule out vintage razors.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-01-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
Apart from the TI's there's the Dovo Prima Klang. I had one, and it was pretty good. However, none of these are any better than some of the vintage blades that have passed through my hands - no more hollow (than some of the Swedish blades, for example), and no better at holding an edge. 

However, if you're into new blades, the TI ES is excellent, and the Dovo is a nice affordable option. I've never used the new Bokers. 

37 1,743
 05-01-2015, 03:52 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You could even speculated that a vintage extra hollow ground blade from past might have a better grind than a modern one. The pool of talented grinders was larger back then and so were their years of experience. I would guess an extra hollow ground blade is one of if not the hardest to do consistently correctly. Just a thought.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-01-2015, 05:50 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I like the Boker SS. Great edge, quality made, modest price. Only flaw seems the pivot pin stays lose. I had a couple of them rescaled . I was so excited by the shave with my first one I went back online and bought a couple more. Biggrin

[Image: 3Dhi4DM.jpg]

15 541
 05-01-2015, 08:34 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice, Hanzo.

I had the chance to use a Silver Steel from a friend and as soon as I save up enough money I will have one in my den.  Having three in the rotation would be a bonus.

178 23,809
 05-02-2015, 01:25 AM
User Info
I would look at getting a nice vintage Dubl Duck Goldedge If you want to try a extra hollow as they are very finely ground, here's a few of my extra hollows including some vintage Japanese western style straights that also have very finely ground blades all these blades are 13/16 and came to me as NOS.

[Image: DSC_1117_zpsbzssj7kn.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1207_zpsfb8o4c08.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1211_zpsc88y9gu6.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1205_zpstrvj97d9.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1073_zps01ed8a61.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1219_zpssd7xjt8e.jpg~original]

11 1,940
 05-03-2015, 07:08 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
The Japanese razors are hard to beat. Many of the eBay sellers show the grind of the blade really well. Prices aren't too bad, with NOS razors going for about what new Solingens or TIs sell for. Most Japanese razors are really, really well ground. Try Tanifuji, Nichiri (Manaslu, King Pelican), Kikuboshi, Feon, Towa (Scheon Burg) ...

Cheers, Steve

7 528
 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the great advice, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I would prefer to get a vintage razor, but with all the different brands and models I didn't know where to start, now I do.  It was good to hear positive comments about the Japanese razors.  I have seen some but had no idea of their quality.  And the photos posted are of some absolutely beautiful razors!  Thanks again.

Tom

0 7
 05-03-2015, 02:31 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(05-01-2015, 08:34 PM)Johnny Wrote: Very nice, Hanzo.

I had the chance to use a Silver Steel from a friend and as soon as I save up enough money I will have one in my den.  Having three in the rotation would be a bonus.

Thanks Johnny. I have seen comments by a couple of straight gurus who regarded the shave these delivered as top notch, even though its a modest blade.

15 541
 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I used to own a Boker Silver Steel.  What I don't like with the newer production versions is that they have dropped the jimps.  I appreciate razors that do have jimps and really felt the Silver Steel could have used them.

Relatively thinly ground but no thinner than many of the other razors already mentioned and not quite as thinly as some of them.

14 871
 05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(05-05-2015, 11:03 AM)Attila Wrote: I used to own a Boker Silver Steel.  What I don't like with the newer production versions is that they have dropped the jimps.  I appreciate razors that do have jimps and really felt the Silver Steel could have used them.

Relatively thinly ground but no thinner than many of the other razors already mentioned and not quite as thinly as some of them.

Some have made an issue of the lack of jimps ,I don't see that  as a deal breaker. It is  not ground as thin as some vintage extra hollows but that might actually be a good thing for some us with hard beards.

Where this is exceptional is its readily available and inexpensive and for whatever reason an exceptional shaver. The 2012 edition with the Tortoise scales can be found for $103 and $117.

I believe what knowledgeable shavers tell us that " vintage beats modern" , however this razor gives such a good shave that even if it won't beat the best vintage hollow grounds for looks,  collectability or prestige potential buyers should not be discouraged and actually miss out on a really good shaver.

15 541