Poll: What size knot for my 22mm opening?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 05-01-2015, 08:14 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Bernd's site says that we should order the knot diameter .5 to 1 mm less than the actual opening.  Is he just being overly conservative?

My Merkur Futur handle is 22mm and I want to put a 22mm knot in it (and 22mm knot are the specs).

57 2,557
 05-01-2015, 09:38 PM
User Info
Matt, no! Bernd isn't being conservative. If you order the exact size knot as the opening in the object you want to set the knot, then you may find it overly tight and you may not succeed in inserting the not without having to sand the opening. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it will definitely provide much more backbone to your knot. I have done this with a few handles and my knots have fantastic backbone even set at a much higher loft!  Biggrin I have a few knots at 26-27 x 55-56mm and they are just wonderful, to my surprise. 
Nonetheless, you should be aware of the possibly obstacles you may encounter. 
Good luck! 

By the way, are you really going to set a knot into a razor handle? I had no idea the Futur handle had a 22mm opening! Now, that is going to look wicked! I can't wait to see it!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-02-2015, 12:54 AM
User Info
(05-01-2015, 09:38 PM)celestino Wrote: By the way, are you really going to set a knot into a razor handle? I had no idea the Futur handle had a 22mm opening! Now, that is going to look wicked! I can't wait to see it!  Biggrin

I was wondering this, also, until I Googled it and found out that brush handles do exist. You learn something new every day.Smile

[Image: 313aacFEQPL._SX425_.jpg]

31 5,282
 05-02-2015, 01:46 AM
User Info
Bernd knows. He will even re knot it for you too. He has done a few of mine and they came back perfect. His knots are pretty amazing too.

7 1,182
 05-02-2015, 10:52 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-01-2015, 09:38 PM)celestino Wrote: Matt, no! Bernd isn't being conservative. If you order the exact size knot as the opening in the object you want to set the knot, then you may find it overly tight and you may not succeed in inserting the not without having to sand the opening. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it will definitely provide much more backbone to your knot. I have done this with a few handles and my knots have fantastic backbone even set at a much higher loft!  Biggrin I have a few knots at 26-27 x 55-56mm and they are just wonderful, to my surprise. 
Nonetheless, you should be aware of the possibly obstacles you may encounter. 
Good luck! 

By the way, are you really going to set a knot into a razor handle? I had no idea the Futur handle had a 22mm opening! Now, that is going to look wicked! I can't wait to see it!  Biggrin

Hey, thanks Celestino!  I figured the width might not allow insertion, but I was just being gluttonous Biggrin  !!!

Haha, I am referring to the one in the picture below, but mine is the chrome finish, instead of the satin finish.

(05-02-2015, 12:54 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I was wondering this, also, until I Googled it and found out that brush handles do exist. You learn something new every day.Smile 

[Image: 313aacFEQPL._SX425_.jpg]

Yes, this is the one, but the chrome version, as I am only now stating above Smile  
It was my first ever brush, I like the uniquness of the handle but the hairs were not the highest quality silvertip I've ever tried.  Big groups of hairs would stick together if the brush was wet "for too much time" (but not very long at all).  It didn't do this initially, but now even a shampooing doesn't resolve the problem.  It was a very good brush to start with I suppose, but it is time to upgrade the knot Biggrin    especially since I am preferring denser hairs, like 2-band and PROBABLY his D01 Silvertip 3-band (which I want to try very very soon, and might end up in this handle). 

(05-02-2015, 01:46 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Bernd knows. He will even re knot it for you too. He has done a few of mine and they came back perfect. His knots are pretty amazing too.

Yes I agree, I own 2 of his brushes and I really love them.  I own a D01 2-band Fan 22x48 and a "new"/regular 2-band Bulb 23x50.  I need further exploring !!

57 2,557
 05-02-2015, 12:07 PM
User Info
I would definitely listen to bernd! He didn't steer me wrong at all and he knows what he is doing.

4 208
 05-02-2015, 02:01 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
No worries guys, I get it!  I wasn't really "questioning" him Smile   more just making sure I don't have an extra mm (for sure)…. and I really don't want to risk it anyway, just wanted to check the math, so to speak!

But, Everything I've gotten from Bernd has been utter quality, and really not questioning his judgment (and definitely not his quality).  

And the only real reason I wondered is because the 22mm opening is the same as the 22mm specs on some vendor websites, so I figured I'd try a 22mm……. 
HOWEVER, now considering how much denser the Shavemac knots are than the original Merkur, I really should be conservative… especially since the handle is metal.
Thanks everyone!!

57 2,557
 05-02-2015, 02:02 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
And thanks Jeff (Occam'sRazor) for participating, hahaha!!

57 2,557
 05-02-2015, 02:25 PM
User Info
It depends a lot on the type of glue knot. Many knots habe a considerable bump directly above the 22mm base, making it impossible to set further into a handle.
So,,, Ask the seller of the knot what measures need to be taken

21 1,175
 05-02-2015, 09:35 PM
User Info
Wow, Matt! How do you stand the brush upright between passes, or do you lay it on a cup or bowl? I guess you might just be using it for bowl-lathering!  Biggrin
Good luck with setting the knot! 

82 21,056
 05-03-2015, 03:05 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-02-2015, 09:35 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Matt! How do you stand the brush upright between passes, or do you lay it on a cup or bowl? I guess you might just be using it for bowl-lathering!  Biggrin
Good luck with setting the knot! 

Hi Celestino, Yes I just set it in a bowl, even though I don't bowl lather. I either face lather completely, or start with palm lather then switch to face to build and hydrate more. But I honestly haven't used that brush in so long bc the knot is not my preference. Really excited to get the new knot.
I actually ordered the new knot last night and chose a D01 3-band "Flat" (not fan) at 21x50. I figure it's a good place to start, and since I like face lathering but have somewhat sensitive skin I wanted to err on the side of higher loft with a hair with relatively strong backbone. Plus I don't want to spend 4 minutes trying to build a lather, then have the brush hog the lather, like a D01 2-band at low loft (until fully broken in which can be a real challenge, I hear, if too low). That's also why I chose the flat-top instead of fan or bulb. Pretty excited.
And thank you ALL for your input. You saved a potential disaster, I mean delay Biggrin
Pics to follow as soon as it's in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,557