05-02-2015, 04:27 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I do not wet my badgers with HOT water ..... as manufacturers warn that it could damage the badger hair if too hot.  Do synths have the same concern?  Or can I use really HOT water?

Thanks....

159 1,319
 05-02-2015, 04:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would not, no need to.  I use warm water to clean mine.

175 23,752
 05-02-2015, 04:38 AM
  • Steelman
  • Delaware
User Info
(05-02-2015, 04:34 AM)Johnny Wrote: I would not, no need to.  I use warm water to clean mine.

Thanks Johnny.  I'm thinking in terms of using them with my scuttle/shave bowl.  Generally speaking, heat dissipates so quickly....it would be a significant advantage if I could heat up the synth fibers with hot water.

159 1,319
 05-02-2015, 07:12 AM
User Info
If I'm reading what you're asking correctly, the thing about synthetics, especially the current fourth generation, is that you want to load beginning with a dry brush, otherwise, you can easily end up with way too much water.   There's an earlier thread on brush loading that delves into that subject in some detail.  Candidly, I wouldn't worry too much about pre-warming your synth.  I've found my Muhle STF's generate plenty of warm lather in a scuttle. Biggrin

2 586
 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I believe the issue of heat relates more to the glue holding the knot opposed to the fibres themselves. With that in mind my advice would be to avoid very hot water regardless of natural or synthetic fibres as the glue used to secure either knot is the same.

I wet both my natural and synthetic fibres. I never use a dry brush.

99 18,011
 05-02-2015, 09:43 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I use synthetics 90% of the time, and have never had a problem with hot water from the tap. Water hotter than that will not only cause a problem with the glue, as Ben pointed out, but can break down the soap or cream. You can use boiling water and steam to remove a knot from a handle, when you want to replace the knot, so I probably wouldn't use water hotter than what comes out of your tap. 

38 5,036
 05-02-2015, 10:00 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, I too believe the manufacturers warning to not use too hot water relates to it softening the glue over time and damaging the brush that way. What exactly too hot is I don't know. I am guessing that if you could not comfortably hold your hand in your hot water for a period of time it would be too hot. That type of very hot water may also be detrimental to creating a good lather. There is no real point in it so I'd stay away from using really hot water in any case.

Synthetics don't hold water the same way as a badger knot does. You want to start loading with a damp synthetic brush. A brush with the excess water it won't hold anyway removed by flicking it or a gentle squeeze of the tips. I think that is what is meant by a "dry" brush. You add a bit of water at a time as you load and as you make your lather.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-02-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
I pre wet my silvertip badgers and my one synthetic with warm water and have never had a problem. I mean I am not using boiling water but warm to the touch! No shedding of hairs have been seen.

4 208
 05-03-2015, 04:08 AM
  • Steelman
  • Delaware
User Info
Thanks, all.  I am just lookng to use the hot water from my tap...I should have specified that.   I'm not looking to melt my face....I would just like to be able to pre-warm my brush with hot water from the tap and not worry about damaging the hair.  Sounds like this won't be a problem with the synth hair.  I don't do this with my badgers because both Thater & Simpson state that if water is too hot (above 110F)  it can possibly damage the tips of badger hair...

Ron

159 1,319
 05-03-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
I don't know if this helps or answers the question. But I have my plisson syn and XL STF Muhle and when they are soaked in hot enough water, the tips of the brush go to one side since they lay on the interior curve of a bowl or cup. I will have to post pictures of the tips bending all one way.

79 1,298
 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Lukewarm or cold is even better. Hot water is not really good for anything to be honest.

47 470
 05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
User Info
Our water heater is set at 135F and I use the tap all the way to hot and have never encountered problems with synthetic, badger, boar, or unicorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
I have an Ever Ready F40 with a Virginia Sheng synthetic knot. I use tap water of approx 110 degrees (f). No problems so far.

0 5
 05-04-2015, 09:09 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(05-03-2015, 11:23 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I don't know if this helps or answers the question. But I have my plisson syn and XL STF Muhle and when they are soaked in hot enough water, the tips of the brush go to one side since they lay on the interior curve of a bowl or cup. I will have to post pictures of the tips bending all one way.

+2.  I have a friend that this happened to.  He used hot water from the tap and eventually the bristles of his synth (Muhle) ended up being slanted to one side following the curvature of the bowl he uses.  They stayed that way.

Personally I would not use water that is too hot to use on your own skin.  Really no need and you risk damaging or at the least slanting the bristles one way on your brush. 

Your brush and your choice though!!

14 871
 05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
I have had a Plisson synthetic for a few months.  I wet it using only hot water.  It hasn't frayed or changed shape.  No problematic effects at all really and it looks the same.  I am more worried about the wood handle than anything else so I don't let that get too wet for too long or leave it in the hot water while I shower, etc.

0 131
 05-04-2015, 11:36 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
It only needs to be warm enough that...

You would be able to put a sleeping friend's hand in it without waking them

9 1,684