05-02-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
Just received my 98g tin of Le Père Lucien Rose de Pushkar with today's mail. 
[Image: m1hGzrw.jpg]

I didn't hesitate to make a test lather:
[Image: eF1AQxe.png]

Typical LPL, easy, smooth, pliable, thirsty glistening lather. Really easy to create. The rose scent is ethereal; I am still heady with the fragrance. I don't have any other rose soaps or colognes; some say that Czech & Speake No. 88 is rose, but my nose didn't get along with that soap--it's history, so I have nothing to compare this to.  My untrained nose gets rose and something tangy, citrusy. It's quite lovely. I am so looking forward to a shave with this soap, but I have to complete my 30 day Brain Bowl challenge. Thanks to Phil for getting some of this soap, now please stock the larger tin and the Cedar-Patchouli too.  Biggrin

39 3,919
 05-02-2015, 11:21 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I grow antique roses, and am therefor a fan of rose-scented soaps. Although I have several others that I enjoy, LPL is one of my favorites. He really nailed the scent, and the quality of his soap is hard to beat. 

38 5,111
 05-02-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
Great to hear that you are enjoying! LPL is excellent soap! I suggested the Lavender-Vetiver LE soap for a FB group, it was chosen and I never received my order. Oh well.

102 1,403
 05-02-2015, 01:56 PM
User Info
(05-02-2015, 01:24 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: Great to hear that you are enjoying! LPL is excellent soap!  I suggested the Lavender-Vetiver LE soap for a FB group, it was chosen and I never received my order. Oh well.
Sorry to hear that. The Lavande-Vétiver is one of my favorite vetiver soaps. (I like the Vétiver-Bourbon, with it's super-smooth pipe tobacco essence better  Angel  ) I wish the entire product line of Le Père Lucien were carried over here .

39 3,919
 05-02-2015, 02:40 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
LPL not only holds a envious performance reputation but packaging that exudes Charisme. Look at a tin and Edith Piaf is singing, Antoine de Saint-Exupery preflighting a Simoon at dawn and the smell of fresh croissants fills the air. If this doesn't inspire your inner Magpie nothing will.

2 3,171
 05-02-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
Wow, that lather is beautiful... Makes me want to get a Chubby 2 Synthetic and take it for a spin...and of coarse give the soap a try as well...

3 78
 05-04-2015, 05:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-02-2015, 11:11 AM)primotenore Wrote: Just received my 98g tin of Le Père Lucien Rose de Pushkar with today's mail. 

Typical LPL, easy, smooth, pliable, thirsty glistening lather. Really easy to create. The rose scent is ethereal; I am still heady with the fragrance. I don't have any other rose soaps or colognes; some say that Czech & Speake No. 88 is rose, but my nose didn't get along with that soap--it's history, so I have nothing to compare this to.  My untrained nose gets rose and something tangy, citrusy. It's quite lovely. I am so looking forward to a shave with this soap, but I have to complete my 30 day Brain Bowl challenge. Thanks to Phil for getting some of this soap, now please stock the larger tin and the Cedar-Patchouli too.  Biggrin

What is the secret to getting a lather like that.  My first lather with this soap was very, very thin.  Looked nothing like yours.

178 23,809
 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Perrier

2 3,171
 05-04-2015, 08:49 PM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 05:45 PM)Johnny Wrote: What is the secret to getting a lather like that.  My first lather with this soap was very, very thin.  Looked nothing like yours.

I couldn't help chuckle a bit at this query coming from such an experienced chap as yourself!  Tongue

83 21,077
 05-04-2015, 10:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-04-2015, 08:49 PM)celestino Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 05:45 PM)Johnny Wrote: What is the secret to getting a lather like that.  My first lather with this soap was very, very thin.  Looked nothing like yours.

I couldn't help chuckle a bit at this query coming from such an experienced chap as yourself!  Tongue

Even the best of us get stumped every once in a while. Smile

178 23,809
 05-05-2015, 12:01 AM
User Info
I owned the first version of this soap and now owned small 98g tub.
Let me tell you , the performance is way better in the latest version. The scent is the same . Enjoy a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 05-05-2015, 05:37 AM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 05:45 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-02-2015, 11:11 AM)primotenore Wrote: Just received my 98g tin of Le Père Lucien Rose de Pushkar with today's mail. 

What is the secret to getting a lather like that.  My first lather with this soap was very, very thin.  Looked nothing like yours.
I never thought that I would be giving you advice, Johnny, but here it goes: 
1) Wet/Soak Brush very lightly shake out (it's still as wet)
2) Cover the soap with warm water

3) Holding the tin level, begin swirling gently (trying to keep the water from splashing over the sides, but it will and that's ok)
4) When the water has spilled out and the brush tips begin to "drag", I begin my 30 sec load (15-20 would probably suffice, but I would rather "over-load")
5) To the bowl or the face, adding water judiciously
6) Vigorous whipping...
Voilà - "Primo-lather"

39 3,919
 05-05-2015, 05:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:37 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 05:45 PM)Johnny Wrote:

3) Holding the tin level, begin swirling gently (trying to keep the water from splashing over the sides, but it will and that's ok)
4) When the water has spilled out and the brush tips begin to "drag", I begin my 30 sec load (15-20 would probably suffice, but I would rather "over-load")
6) Vigorous whipping...
Voilà - "Primo-lather"

Even us old dogs can learn a new trick now and then.  Thanks, I will put this to the test tomorrow.

178 23,809
 05-05-2015, 06:25 AM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: Even us old dogs can learn a new trick now and then.  Thanks, I will put this to the test tomorrow.

Good luck, Johnny!  Thumbup

83 21,077
 05-05-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:58 AM)Johnny Wrote:

6) Vigorous whipping...
Voilà - "Primo-lather"

Even us old dogs can learn a new trick now and then.  Thanks, I will put this to the test tomorrow.

Johnny, I might be in the minority here, but the first batch from LPL was not as good as their latest batch.
I have owned two, one of the original formulation and one from their latest, and the second one is clearly a better formula. Don't have the first one any more, so can't compare ingredients.
Also have the Rose de Puskas coming my way, in the 98 gram tin.

The latest batch is harder in texture.

24 5,969
 05-12-2015, 02:19 PM
User Info

6) Vigorous whipping...
Voilà - "Primo-lather"

Johnny,
Did you ever give this technique a try? If so, what were your results? Sherlock

39 3,919
 05-13-2015, 05:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-12-2015, 02:19 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 05:37 AM)primotenore Wrote: I never thought that I would be giving you advice, Johnny, but here it goes: 

6) Vigorous whipping...
Voilà - "Primo-lather"

Johnny,

Yes I did and it worked better than the first two times I used it.  Still not the quality of lather in your picture.  I used it yesterday with one of my synthetics and decided to face lather with it and that worked great.  I think the first two times I tried I had to much water in my brush.  I really like the soap for both scent and face feel.

178 23,809
 05-13-2015, 05:42 AM
User Info
(05-13-2015, 05:38 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 02:19 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 05:58 AM)Johnny Wrote: Even us old dogs can learn a new trick now and then.  Thanks, I will put this to the test tomorrow.

Johnny,

Yes I did and it worked better than the first two times I used it.  Still not the quality of lather in your picture.  I used it yesterday with one of my synthetics and decided to face lather with it and that worked great.  I think the first two times I tried I had to much water in my brush.  I really like the soap for both scent and face feel.
Excellent. I have discovered that my synthetic traps a lot more water than I would have expected. Have a great day!

39 3,919