05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
I've been reluctant to try this, but I want to get closer shaves with shavettes.
I tried today and it was a trifle rough.
What am I missing? Should I even try?

Thanks in advance.

8 896
 05-02-2015, 05:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you do a WTG, and XTG, you should have no problem with ATG, except maybe on the upper lip area.  When I was using a Feather AC-SS or even my straight razors, I do WTD, XTD, and ATG without any problems at all.  Except on the upper lip and chin.  There I just do WTG and XTG and that's smooth enough for me.

175 23,752
 05-03-2015, 02:09 AM
User Info
I knew I could count on you for a helpful view, Johnny.
Yes, I'm doing the first two reduction passes before I try going ATG.
There's one area along my jawline that requires blade-buffing even with DE. That's the resistant area when using the shavettes (Sextoblade and my time with the Feather ACs).
I find myself missing little spots here and there too.
I should be content because the shaves are good overall, but I'm still prone to a little OCD when I feel roughness in spots.

I expect it'll all come down to practice and technique. 

8 896
 05-03-2015, 06:33 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Slow and steady and flatten the blade edge more

9 1,684
 05-08-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
Of course you should try! Make sure that your angle is low, your lip is stretched tightly, and your lather is extremely wet and slick. I do my ATG upper lip/lower lip and chin passes as soon as I have applied the lather for my third pass, so it doesn't get the least bit tacky before it is removed (along with that last little bit of stubble!).

1 67
 05-09-2015, 04:07 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have the same approach as Johnny..  I go ATG on all planes except the point of my chin and the center of my upper lip, the latter being the 'suicide pass'.  I can get the corners of my upper lip, no problem.

For ATG, I have to change my grip, get a good stretch and I use zero angle of attack.. blade is, for the most part, flat against my skin.  On my cheeks I take long strokes.  On my jaw line and lower lip I take shorter staccato, buffing strokes.  At this stage of my straight shaving, closeness is determined by blade condition not technique and for the most part, leaves me as close as a DE or SE, but far more comfortable.

33 914