05-03-2015, 06:04 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
Hi All,
just acquired a new Mongoose B2 razor. Was wondering if there are any tips on how to shave with this beauty that you can share with me. I am going from a Feather DS2 with Feather Blades. Thanks!

21 462
 05-03-2015, 08:43 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Congratulations! Well, you'll need to choose a blade to use. I use the Feather Professional Super, but I like it on the aggressive side, and have even shimmed both front and back of the razor head to get it very near straight razor territory. I guess we need to ask how you felt about your DS2? Was it too mild, just right, mixed feelings? This can guide you on your blade choice. The Feather Professional is an all around good blade, there are also blades with a protective grid on them to help you ease into shaving with the Mongoose if you're timid at first. SharpSpine (a member here) did an excellent job in his journal discussing blades: SharpSpine's Mongoose Journal.

Noted and Important Differences from a DE:
  • The blades used for this razor are sharp, rigid, and can be unforgiving—use with caution as it is easy to forget how well these blades shave, so always keep your guard up.
  • You will get more shaves out of these blades, so do not toss them as early as you would with a DE blade.
  • Because the blade is covering a wider surface area than a DE, you need to be cognizant and perform proper skin stretching or prevent the skin from stretching, so as to avoid the blade potentially taking a nick out of you (just use straight razors techniques and you'll be fine).
Good luck, and it's hard to go back to DE shaving once you've used the Mongoose!

13 611
 05-03-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
Great advice. I have my own Mongoose polished head coming in the mail sometime tomorrow or the day after. Haven't purchased any blades yet but will probably get the Feather Pros when I'm out. I've recently picked up shaving with a SE and haven't quite gotten used to the angle yet but can't wait to try the Mongoose. 

0 82
 05-03-2015, 09:06 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
That's good advice. The razor is easy to get used to as long as you remember to take short strokes and stretch the skin. As previously stated remember to stretch the skin a bit wider to accommodate the extra length of the head. Finally make sure the reveal of the blade is correct. I found the best way to do that is to keep my thumb on the back of the head as I screw down the handle. With my thumb on the back I can assure the top and base meet evenly. Finally, do not worry about the angle of the razor to your face too much. It is easy to hear the blade cutting the beard. Your muscle memory will kick in after a few shaves. Use the razor for a while without changing off. I have sold off all my razors except my PILS and Mongoose. With those two razors I have no need or desire for another razor.

68 1,068
 05-03-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
Wow, thanks Barry! Hoping it'd be my RAD killer as well! What handle(s) are you guys using it with?

0 82
 05-03-2015, 10:48 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(05-03-2015, 09:35 AM)merepekking Wrote: What handle(s) are you guys using it with?

I'm using a BBS-1 handle. The favorite appears to be the Jürgen Hempel handles.

13 611
 05-03-2015, 10:56 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-03-2015, 09:06 AM)Barrylu Wrote: That's good advice. The razor is easy to get used to as long as you remember to take short strokes and stretch the skin. As previously stated remember to stretch the skin a bit wider to accommodate the extra length of the head. Finally make sure the reveal of the blade is correct. I found the best way to do that is to keep my thumb on the back of the head as I screw down the handle. With my thumb on the back I can assure the top and base meet evenly. Finally, do not worry about the angle of the razor to your face too much. It is easy to hear the blade cutting the beard. Your muscle memory will kick in after a few shaves. Use the razor for a while without changing off. I have sold off all my razors except my PILS and Mongoose. With those two razors I have no need or desire for another razor.

Thanks for the advise nice to hear! H

21 462
 05-03-2015, 10:57 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-03-2015, 09:06 AM)Barrylu Wrote: That's good advice. The razor is easy to get used to as long as you remember to take short strokes and stretch the skin. As previously stated remember to stretch the skin a bit wider to accommodate the extra length of the head. Finally make sure the reveal of the blade is correct. I found the best way to do that is to keep my thumb on the back of the head as I screw down the handle. With my thumb on the back I can assure the top and base meet evenly. Finally, do not worry about the angle of the razor to your face too much. It is easy to hear the blade cutting the beard. Your muscle memory will kick in after a few shaves. Use the razor for a while without changing off. I have sold off all my razors except my PILS and Mongoose. With those two razors I have no need or desire for another razor.
Thanks Barry, good advise will keep that in mind.

21 462
 05-03-2015, 11:02 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-03-2015, 08:43 AM)Entasis Wrote: Congratulations! Well, you'll need to choose a blade to use. I use the Feather Professional Super, but I like it on the aggressive side, and have even shimmed both front and back of the razor head to get it very near straight razor territory. I guess we need to ask how you felt about your DS2? Was it too mild, just right, mixed feelings? This can guide you on your blade choice. The Feather Professional is an all around good blade, there are also blades with a protective grid on them to help you ease into shaving with the Mongoose if you're timid at first. SharpSpine (a member here) did an excellent job in his journal discussing blades: SharpSpine's Mongoose Journal.

Noted and Important Differences from a DE:

• The blades used for this razor are sharp, rigid, and can be unforgiving—use with caution as it is easy to forget how well these blades shave, so always keep your guard up.
  • You will get more shaves out of these blades, so do not toss them as early as you would with a DE blade.
  • Because the blade is covering a wider surface area than a DE, you need to be cognizant and perform proper skin stretching or prevent the skin from stretching, so as to avoid the blade potentially taking a nick out of you (just use straight razors techniques and you'll be fine).
Good luck, and it's hard to go back to DE shaving once you've used the Mongoose!
Well to answer some of your questions. I kind of live the DS2. Nice razor, but for me to get one of those BBS I have to do 4 passes and the last one is ATG. And that is using a feather blade.  At times got some irritation around the jaw line and neck. I saw where guys were using the Personna Med Preps.so I tried that and the results were not to good more irritation. So I went back to Feather blades. Any how thanks for the response and the referral to Shaprspine’s journal on the  Mongoose. H

21 462
 05-03-2015, 11:06 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
As far as a handle I use a custom wooden handle made by Brad Sears. I have arthritis in my hands. The heavy Mongoose head coupled with a heavy metal handle proved too painful for me. Brad fashioned this un-weighted handle out of wood for me. I can shave with no hand pain yet the weight of the Mongoose head still affords me the cleanest possible shave with no  added pressure.
[Image: 1J6xraU.jpg][Image: uevpBNH.jpg][Image: cHYqJKu.jpg]

68 1,068
 05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
The Mongoose I bought came with a very nice Bomber handle . Nice weight to it. However, have not shaved with it yet. No blades...

21 462
 05-03-2015, 12:28 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(05-03-2015, 09:06 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I have sold off all my razors except my PILS and Mongoose.

I kept my BBS-1 to use (I have a pair slants I got for son that he refused to use, which I've tucked into a drawer), but the point being that rotation—to me—is important to avoid getting bored with your shaving experience. Every once and a while I shave with my BBS-1 and I still love it.

13 611
 05-03-2015, 12:49 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-03-2015, 11:06 AM)Barrylu Wrote: As far as a handle I use a custom wooden handle made by Brad Sears. I have arthritis in my hands. The heavy Mongoose head coupled with a heavy metal handle proved too painful for me. Brad fashioned this un-weighted handle out of wood for me. I can shave with no hand pain yet the weight of the Mongoose head still affords me the cleanest possible shave with no  added pressure.
[Image: 1J6xraU.jpg][Image: uevpBNH.jpg][Image: cHYqJKu.jpg]

Very clever Barry. Very nice looking handles. Glad it works for you...H

21 462
 05-03-2015, 03:26 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.............that is a very nice handle.......

45 1,066