• Perth, Australia
User Info
Theirs Issard Brushes

[attachment=2943]

Desert Ironwood 23mm Super Badger
Blond Horn 26mm Silver Tip
Black Horn 26mm Silver Tip

[attachment=2944]

There has been some debate about the manufacture of TI brushes.

According to Martin at http://www.rasurpur.de :

"It took Thiers Issard two years to find this badger hair quality.
They are fully handmade in France.
This means the hair gets hand selected, formed and bound by hand and put in the handle by hand.
Even the superbadger quality is superb and better than most silvertip.
The handle is inspired by a historical design
and made from the same high quality horn as the razor handles too."

The one undebatable fact is that these brushes are absolutely stunning.

[attachment=2945]

The brushes have a substantial and weighty feel.
The handles are solid, including the horn (unlike Plisson).

[attachment=2946]

The knots are dense (apparently 30% denser than in the past).
The tips are very soft.

[attachment=2947]

I shall report back soon on backbone, splay and flow through as I haven't used them yet.

[attachment=2948]

Does anyone else have any experience with TI brushes... ?

91 17,795
 06-13-2012, 02:08 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
So that's where they all are. I should have known.
I've been eyeballing them for a while.
Have you actually used one of them Ben?
I never pulled the trigger as I couldn't find any reviews and they are kinda pricey.

5 270
 06-13-2012, 02:55 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-13-2012, 02:08 AM)xraygun Wrote: So that's where they all are. I should have known.
I've been eyeballing them for a while.
Have you actually used one of them Ben?
I never pulled the trigger as I couldn't find any reviews and they are kinda pricey.

I haven't used them... yet! But that's about to change with my current philosophy being: "use it or lose it!"

I have a few TI razors. They all have wonderful scales and are truly objects d' art. That's what led me to TI brushes and again aesthetically I've be rewarded. Now it's time to see how they perform. So a review will be added soon...

91 17,795
 06-13-2012, 05:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I like the Desert Ironwood for both looks and size. Where did you get these beautiful brushes?

173 23,484
 06-13-2012, 07:21 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
That blond horn is beautiful, and the handle looks like a good shape to use.

10 1,858
 06-13-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
Great looking brushes, Ben. I look forward to your post-use report. I've eyed the Theirs Issard brushes for some time, as they look incredible. I just wondered about the density and loft combination for face-lathering.

33 115
 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM
  • jss
User Info
Beautiful acquisitions Ben..Do let us know soon.... Smile

Best,
Julian

0 264
 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Really gorgeous brushes!
Do you have a pic of them blooming?

86 7,123
 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Great looking brushes Ben. I look forward to your comments on density, backbone, etc. I have heard that they are floppy so your comments will be interesting since you said that they're 30% more dense than in the past.

0 353
 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
What i see i like a lot Ben, maybe it's something to think about could it be another brush to introduce to the brush stable, but the French and the Brits have never been good bed fellows.Biggrin

Jamie

5 1,805
 06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
Gorgeous handles on those brushes, Ben.

75 20,883
 06-14-2012, 05:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-13-2012, 05:46 AM)Johnny Wrote: I like the Desert Ironwood for both looks and size. Where did you get these beautiful brushes?

They are available from here:

http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html

and here:

http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/thiers-is...ushes.html

91 17,795
 06-14-2012, 06:13 AM
User Info
Very nice, particularly the Desert Ironwood - excellent score.

Mark

1 630
 06-14-2012, 06:19 AM
User Info
 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
  • hon
User Info
http://www.classicshaving.com/TI_Shaving_Brushes.html

Classic Shaving the US sole distributor of Thiers Issard having them too.

0 38
 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I ended up with one of Ben's TI brushes - the gorgeous blonde horn 26mm. It arrived yesterday, and I had my first chance to use it this morning. I have owned a number of shaving brushes but never a TI. And I don't think I would have bought one had Ben not posted such beautiful pictures of this brush.

Let me start by saying that I am amazed by this brush. After just one use (and a couple test lathers), this brush has found it's way into my short list of "desert island" brushes.

Before I received it:

I was worried it might be too floppy. This was based on reviews of the older models, which weren't stuffed with as much hair. This brush has no flop at all, but behaves somewhat like my Chubby 2 Super - backbone achieved by density and excellent Silvertip hair.

I was worried it might not be very densely packed. I have discovered that this is one of my most densely packed brushes. Not quite Chubby 2 dense, but then it has a taller loft, which affects the perceived density. This is a 25mm x 54mm knot, by my measurement. And I do not detect a glue bump. I would not want it any more dense than it is. In fact, I find it to be perfect!

I wondered if the hair in the brush would really be a good, soft-tipped 3-band. Of my 3-band brushes, I find it to be most similar to Rooney Heritage 3-band. This is a fantastic thing, as I have been wanting to get my hands on another brush with this hair ever since I sold my 32mm Stubby to another forum member. If you have tried Heritage 3-band, then perhaps you know how special it is.

I had no idea if I'd like the handle shape. This is just something you don't know until you have the brush in hand. This handle is already one of my favorites. It reminds me of a bigger, slightly beefier Astor. I have never used a Rooney style 3, but this handle looks very similar. Not a tall handle, not a short one, but just right.

What else do I love about this brush? The fan shaped knot is a big plus for me. The combination of soft tips, density, and backbone give it a perfect, pillowy soft yet substantial feel on the face. And the horn used for the handle is beautiful.

I exclusively face lather, and I consider this brush superior for the task. I suppose you could make lather in a bowl with it, too, but I want this brush to spend as much time on my face as possible.

I am now debating whether or not I want to buy the desert ironwood version of this brush. I'm a little concerned the wood handle won't feel as solid or substantial in hand as the solid horn. Can anyone tell me, is ironwood a heavier wood?

I don't see Ben's photos in the OP, so here are his pictures of my new brush:

[Image: puvereqe.jpg]

[Image: ygase3u7.jpg]

[Image: a5y8apum.jpg]

Next to the one he kept, in bloom:

[Image: du7u6ety.jpg]

43 1,690
 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
User Info
Beautiful brush, now I'm sorry I sold the two TI badger brushes I owned Sad

22 5,043
 06-25-2013, 10:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The desert Ironwood handle is definitely lighter than the solid horn.

Andrew, I'm so happy you are enjoying this beautiful brush!

91 17,795
 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Some TI eye candy...

[Image: bMHTF9R.png]

[Image: z3Lbm9j.png]

91 17,795
 06-26-2013, 02:27 AM
User Info