05-03-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
It seems that this subject has been very quiet for some time. Does anyone know if Trumpers has fixed their shaving soap troubles the way Penhaligons has?

Michael

24 276
 05-03-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
It's made by the same contract manufacturer, so probably...

0 280
 05-03-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
The ingredients list remains unchanged so I would imagine no change in performance with Trumper soaps, yet.

31 5,293
 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
A good intentioned friend purchased a puck of GFT soap for me a couple weeks ago. It has a list of ingredients which does not match what I am seeing on the web or in videos of people doing fairly recent reviews of the soap. Don't know if this is a reformulation or a several year old puck. It appears the recent ingredient list is  : sodium palmate, potassium stearate, sodium cocoate, sodium stearate, aqua, potassium cocoate, glycerin, parfum, and a number of other lesser additives.

The puck I have reads: sodium palmate, sodium palm kernelate, aqua, glycerin, sodium cocoate, parfum, and again a lot of unmentionable additives.

My puck ingredient list does not scream great performance but I finally gave it a try last night, it is truly awful. Reviews of the puck with potassium stearate were not good, if my puck is a very recent reformulation it still stinks. I have a very limited knowledge of what makes a good performing soap and I don't believe straight sodium, no potassium is an advisable method of making shaving soap. I'm befuddled as to what this company is thinking don't they try their product?  What ever the current formula is I would avoid this soap, there are so many better choices.

4 105
 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM
User Info
The good performing pre 2010 pucks will have Potassium Palmate listed as the first ingredient. The newly re-formulated soaps from Penhaligon's and Floris also have Potassium Palmate listed first. Any Trumper soap with Sodium Whatever as the first ingredient is certain to be a dud and is to be avoided.

31 5,293