06-13-2012, 03:27 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Oh my........
Schick Krona, NOS still in the blister packaging. Purchased from the Razor Emporium. Fantastic service!
I'm not sure what it's worth VS what I paid for it but again, I am impressed with the service and the razor is as new. Definitely worth it to me, especially for my first vintage piece.

I was very concerned that it would be too mild for me. I use a lot of aggressive razors including the 2011 R41, the FaTip and the Cobra Classic.

I loaded my first TTO with an Astra SP which is my usual weapon of choice and the blade that I always use first in any new razor as a standard. I was initially thinking that I should use a Feather in what is supposedly such a mild shaver but went to the Astra to truly understand the baseline.

It felt as though I was wielding a feather....so light compared to EVERYTHING else that I've ever tried. How can this thing cut? Will I need to go and get another razor to finish the job???

Well.........maybe they really knew their razors back in 1966 because I think that I got one of the closest, BBS, irritation free shaves of my life. Just amazing and comfortable beyond imagination for me and wasn't the Krona one of the lower end razors back then???

I think that I will focus on trying to acquire some more vintage pieces. Maybe I won't necessarily recreate the above shave with every one but I think that my RAD has taken a nice turn.....
Biggrin

6 905
 06-13-2012, 04:16 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Kronas are vastly underrated when compared to the Superspeeds. I find a shave with a Krona much more comfy and mild than with a Superspeed.

116 3,804
 06-13-2012, 08:06 AM
User Info
Well, on the negative side, another person competeing for the vintage razors. Wink Biggrin

On the positive side, you have another razor that works great for you.

That was a nice read. Good for you!

32 6,309
 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM
User Info
It is always nice to find a gem of a shaver for a cheap price!

75 20,883
 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
User Info
I only use vintage and of all the razors that I got to try only 3 were new--Parker 22R, Futur & R41.
My every day razor is vintage and I've honestly never had a better shaver. If I ever bought another new razor it would need to be a slant, so my choice is limited to the 37C.

9 451
 06-14-2012, 11:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Interesting John, out of all of my modern razors, I think my Slant (39C) is my favorite so I may be onto something with this vintage thing. Smile

Brian, don't worry......, I'll go easy on the accumulation....my budget will force me to!

(06-14-2012, 10:10 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: I only use vintage and of all the razors that I got to try only 3 were new--Parker 22R, Futur & R41.
My every day razor is vintage and I've honestly never had a better shaver. If I ever bought another new razor it would need to be a slant, so my choice is limited to the 37C.

6 905
 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
User Info
All my razors are vintage:

Gillette Old Type, NEW SC, NEW LC, Ball-end Tech.

1912 GEM Jr, GEM Damaskeene.

Schick E2, G1, I1, I2, L1 Injectors.

0 1,377
 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
I started back into traditional wet shaving using primarily vintage Gillette razors. However, I was fortunate to come across a good Krona that have held onto and hope to pass down someday. Glad to hear that you had a good experience with your Krona.

29 1,731
 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
Glad it worked out- happy shaving!

0 217
 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks Matt!

I must say, I've visited you're website many times but I've never clicked on "your collection"........Biggrin WOW!
What a "candy store"! I've love to visit and drool over that beautiful equipment one day. Amazing stuff.

(07-05-2012, 11:35 AM)Razor Emporium Wrote: Glad it worked out- happy shaving!

6 905
 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
Eric,
Except for the ubiquitous Edwin Jagger DE 89 that I use for a travel razor, all my others are vintage. Take the plunge. Just a few days ago I stopped in an antique mall down the road and for the total cost of my EJ 89 I could have bought two flair tip super speeds in better than user grade and one cased aristocrat which needed cleaning but would have been better than user grade once done. All excellent shavers and the only reason I passed is that I prefer the OCs. The hunt for these is part of the fun and then you find out how good they are. Don't know if I will ever order a modern razor again...except for the all stainless US made ones for which I have a mild case of lust.

5 298
 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
(06-13-2012, 04:16 AM)Dave Wrote: Kronas are vastly underrated when compared to the Superspeeds. I find a shave with a Krona much more comfy and mild than with a Superspeed.

I 100% AGREE.

0 197
 07-07-2012, 07:02 PM
User Info
The Krona has some interesting advantages over other razors.

1. The head is flatten to force a fixed angle, much like an injector (no coincidence). The round head allows for easier angle adjustment but requires more control.

2. The razor is light and some enjoy a lighter handled razor.

3. The handle is long which can provide greater reach-ability.
I am surprised that more ladies do not adopt this razor in the place of the more expensive Ladies Gillette.

4. They are plentiful and relatively inexpensive on e-Bay.

I have always like my Krona's especially with the gold plated heads. Excellent razor.

1 2,827
 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM
User Info
(07-06-2012, 05:29 AM)EHV Wrote: Thanks Matt!

I must say, I've visited you're website many times but I've never clicked on "your collection"........Biggrin WOW!
What a "candy store"! I've love to visit and drool over that beautiful equipment one day. Amazing stuff.

(07-05-2012, 11:35 AM)Razor Emporium Wrote: Glad it worked out- happy shaving!

Thanks! It took years to build and the stuff in the case, sadly, isn't for sale Biggrin We have drawers and boxes of razors for sale but the collection is there for us to enjoy. Whenever we have customers over to the store its such a treat to share our collection / stories with them. Drop in if you're ever in the Phoenix area!

0 217
 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I like the Krona, too.

They are subtly different from a 60' Super Speed in the way they shave, but strangely familiar, if you know and like the SS.

The long handle is nice.

1 108
 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
OMW! Now I should get a Krona!

Don't you guys get it !? I have too much now!

Biggrin

Question... how does it compare to a Gillette OLD/New ?

Thanks!

32 6,309
 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have two Krona's and they are both good shavers.

I like the Vintage Razors and have quite a few ... but, I also like some of the modern ones and I have several of those.

But, the Krona is a good razor that is underrated.

1 819
 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Glad that you enjoyed your Krona. I bought one from a forummember at b&b. The sort without metal at the end of the handle.
And have used it a few times with good result. Think i have to try it out more with different blades, soon.

0 284
 10-13-2012, 12:11 AM
User Info
The Krona is one of the best razors I've ever used. The well thought out design just comes together in a beautifully efficient shaving tool.

Regards,
Squire

0 500