05-04-2015, 08:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
In an effort to placate swmbo who recently has been protesting my use of scented products, this morning's shave was MWF and a cold water rinse. No pre/post-shave P-Red balm, no Clubman AS, no Aqua Velva, NOTHING. The shave was fine enough i suppose, but i miss the face feel and gentle, lingering and pleasing (to me) post-shave scent.

I definitely use them sparingly and don't know how to use any less product. Truly, i use just the smallest little amount i can possibly use. Short of taking it with me and using it at work i don't know what to do. If anyone can offer some advice i'd gratefully appreciate it.

Thanks Huh

7 2,365
 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
Have her pick a scent? There's got to be some type she likes.  Maybe something simple - lime or something...

0 1,098
 05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Post-shave products, including colognes, are understandable, but really--she expects you not to use soaps that have any scent? It's hard to find any hand soap, bath soap, shampoo, body lotion, etc. that is unscented. That seems somewhat unreasonable.
There are many lightly-scented soaps out there. Perhaps you could use one of those and forego any aftershave or fragrance.

60 849
 05-04-2015, 10:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-04-2015, 08:30 AM)Shannon Wrote: Have her pick a scent? There's got to be some type she likes.  Maybe something simple - lime or something...

I understand your point. But don't i have to like it first? I'm just crazy for the scent of Proraso sandalwood!

(05-04-2015, 08:53 AM)greyhawk Wrote: Post-shave products, including colognes, are understandable, but really--she expects you not to use soaps that have any scent? It's hard to find any hand soap, bath soap, shampoo, body lotion, etc. that is unscented. That seems somewhat unreasonable.
There are many lightly-scented soaps out there. Perhaps you could use one of those and forego any aftershave or fragrance.

This morning she even screwed up her nose at MWF when i asked her if today was any better.

I'm sensitive to overused colognes, aftershaves, balms, perfumes, etc. and feel olfactorally overwhelmed when someone has "bathed" in it. I get that others are sensitive too.

I guess i'm looking for advice on desensitizing my wife to the scents that I like.

7 2,365
 05-04-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
Best of luck resolving this dilemma, Charlie!   I would also concur with Brian in trying to find a soap with a scent that is compatible to the two of you. Some of the artisanal soaps have very pleasant scents.

83 21,115
 05-04-2015, 11:00 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
Speick ASL has very, very little scent after about 60 seconds* (and it's excellent)

* although it possible that my nose isn't the most sensitive in the world ...

1 225
 05-04-2015, 11:47 AM
User Info
I presume that SWMBO uses no scents herself? No perfume, body lotion, soaps, deodorants, anything? If she wears any scents, then turn about should be fair play! If she wears no perfumes or anything, due to a sensitive nose, etc., then you may just be in a pickle! Sad

1 67
 05-04-2015, 12:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: lC0rFjD.jpg][Image: hixir7N.jpg]
It may be SWMBO has a subconscious prejudice on men being less masculine using scent.

2 3,171
 05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
[Image: w5QupZm.jpg][Image: bHmV2av.jpg]

So, perhaps a little reverse Psychology ?  Skip a few shaves, even baths. engage in manly man activities to get those pheromones working.

2 3,171
 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
[Image: pGoaWtp.jpg][Image: IJLyXK9.jpg]

and she might meet you halfway?

2 3,171
 05-04-2015, 12:25 PM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 10:17 AM)chazt Wrote: I guess i'm looking for advice on desensitizing my wife to the scents that I like.

Lol

Maybe if you incorporate your favorite scents into her favorite things. If she likes chocolates, smear some Proraso on the box.

4 355
 05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
If you can't find a scent that is mutually agreeable you may be up the creek without a paddle. If that turns out to be the case you have my condolences.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-04-2015, 12:34 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-04-2015, 08:17 AM)chazt Wrote: In an effort to placate swmbo who recently has been protesting my use of scented products. If anyone can offer some advice i'd gratefully appreciate it.

Unlike the other responders here, I suggest that you select a different -- but very mild -- scented product, one that “everybody” likes. 

The prototypical scent of that type is Provence Santé Green Tea shaving soap, which, though inexpensive (<$7.00), also happens to be an excellent soap that will leave behind a rich skin feel.   Provence Santé shave soap (link)  Paraphrasing the old Sara Lee radio ads, “Nobody doesn't like PS Green Tea.”

Similarly priced is the hard-to-find, small (60 gm) puck, Haslinger Schafmilch, the (dried rose petal?) scent of which is so mild, many users say that they cannot smell it at all.  Haslinger Schafmilch shave soap (link)  Some have compared the performance of the Haslinger to the MWF that you are using now, and the Haslinger usually comes off favorably in those comparisons.

Your total investment in the experiment, incuding shipping, will be in the $10 range, and you may even find a new favorite soap in the process.

1 1,110
 05-04-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 10:37 AM)celestino Wrote: Best of luck resolving this dilemma, Charlie!   I would also concur with Brian in trying to find a soap with a scent that is compatible to the two of you. Some of the artisanal soaps have very pleasant scents.

+1 (or 2)  Depending.... Smile

4 647
 05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 12:15 PM)kav Wrote: [Image: w5QupZm.jpg][Image: bHmV2av.jpg]

So, perhaps a little reverse Psychology ?  Skip a few shaves, even baths. engage in manly man activities to get those pheromones working.

Well... I kinda like the "Bogey" look myself. Tongue

4 647
 05-04-2015, 02:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
What a great bunch of posts! You're all very correct, witty, lol funny, thoughtful and creative. Thank you for understanding my dilemna. Just to clarify; she does not wear or like any scents and has literally done so maybe twice in 32 years. Truthfully, we were on the same page until recently, when I added pre and post balm and the occasional aftershave to my shave. For the time being I think I'll return to soap only shaves. That should return the equilibrium. She was ok with the way I smelled with my current rotation of soaps.

Then there's my creams. Wait til I break out the menthol and eucalyptus!!

7 2,365
 05-04-2015, 02:27 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
......or maybe she has a sister that appreciates a good smelling man.  Biggrin  24 

ooops here comes my wife....I didn't post that gotta go.

18 260
 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM
User Info
Better not crack open the X-pec just yet.

How about applying some aftershave in the car, on the way to work?

Or, take your bride to a shaving store and have her choose a scent she likes?  

1 417