06-15-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
i have been using cast iron pans for 15 years, now.
Griswold are definitely the best to use, but Wagners are also good. i have only been able to find them on ebay, and found a Wagner 15 years ago by chance at a store in Vancouver.

90 21,256
 06-15-2012, 05:16 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-15-2012, 07:40 AM)Songwind Wrote: I love my cast iron cookware. I always thought of it as an annoyance that caused a lot of sticking, until I learned that my mother should not have been using dish soap on it. Rolleyes

My best and most commonly used cast iron is my two sided griddle/grill pan. Hamburgers, steaks, french toast or pancakes, it handles it all with aplomb. The only complaint I have is a small incompatibility between the pan and my burners; the pan is always at a slight tilt.

I have a carbon steel wok that I have started treating similarly, and with similar great results. It's a big beast of a thing, almost restaurant sized, and gets nice and hot.

The secret is to get them good and greasy and then season them over a hot fire or in a hot oven. After that you can more or less wipe them out when your done cooking with them. After a thorough cleaning with soap they need to be re-seasoned before use.

"I'll keep my skillet good and greasy all the time, time, time,
Keep my skillet good and greasy all the time!" (old song) Biggrin

0 396
 06-15-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
I love my cast iron pans, when properly seasoned they are as good as any nonstick pan made today. Your food ends up with a nice color and crispiness that you don't get with nonstick cookware, and I also find the flavor better. I have a large cast iron wok I found at a garage sale that cooks better than any wok I have ever owned, its about 30 pounds and the temp barely changes when adding cold foods, it also transmits heat up the sides instead of just a small hot spot at the very bottom. I'm always on the lookout for more vintage cast iron in sizes I don't yet have.

0 59
 06-17-2012, 02:53 AM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
Love my cast Iron, I have my Great Grandmothers.

0 197
 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I've got a few different Le Creuset pots and griddles, and absolutely love them. They heat perfectly!

9 408
 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
I have two that are about my age, my dad bought them a year before or after I was born at some random shop in Louisiana. They were in storage for about 15 years because my mom threatened (jokingly...I think) to beat him to death with them if he used them on her new glass-topped range. I got them when I started grad school a couple of years ago, and now they're as black as anything I've ever seen.

Recently, I picked up a Favorite Piqua Ware from the 1920s that I've been trying to season. This one is a tough one to season for some reason, but it's getting there.

6 119
 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
(06-15-2012, 06:02 PM)livingontheedge Wrote: <snip> I have a large cast iron wok I found at a garage sale that cooks better than any wok I have ever owned, <snip>

When we had an electric range top our CI wok was the only wok that allowed us to stir fry in a wok. I'd get it good and hot and the CI worked fine. I think it was Lodge. The sheet metal carbon steel wok just didn't work on the electric heating elements.

Today I'd probably just use a CI fry pan and be done with it. And I do that with our present propane range.

32 6,570
 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
User Info
Friday night I picked up some haddock fillets at the local market and cooked them on my Lodge double griddle over a gas grill.

I preheated the griddle on top of the propane flame for about 8 minutes. When the griddle was hot, I poured about a tablespoon of olive oil on it and then melted an equal amount of butter, dropped the fillets on them. After a few minutes, I could see that the edges of the fillets were cooked, so using two spatulas (the fillets were that long), carefully flipped them and cooked a couple of minutes longer.

I kept the heat out of the house and had some of the best pan seared fish in my life. Later this week, I'll use the same technique with 5 qt. chicken fryer and some pork stir fry.

3 460
 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
We have cast iron. But as Craig alluded you should not use on a glass cook surface. So I use my cast iron in the winter when I have the wood cookstove going.
I also use the griddle on a gas grill to make breakfast.

Reading this thread has made me hungry.

Phil

7 363
 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
User Info
(07-07-2012, 10:33 AM)Craig Wrote: . . . They were in storage for about 15 years because my mom threatened (jokingly...I think) to beat him to death with them if he used them on her new glass-topped range. . . .

(07-09-2012, 12:32 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: . . . But as Craig alluded you should not use on a glass cook surface. . . .

Phil

What's the deal with a glass cooktop and CI? I've been using CI all my adult life, and have continued to use them on the glass top stove that came with the house we bought in 2008. No issues so far. I have 5 boys, so they get used almost constantly.

0 419
 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
(07-09-2012, 03:24 PM)nEver-Ready Wrote:
(07-07-2012, 10:33 AM)Craig Wrote: . . . They were in storage for about 15 years because my mom threatened (jokingly...I think) to beat him to death with them if he used them on her new glass-topped range. . . .

(07-09-2012, 12:32 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: . . . But as Craig alluded you should not use on a glass cook surface. . . .

Phil

What's the deal with a glass cooktop and CI? I've been using CI all my adult life, and have continued to use them on the glass top stove that came with the house we bought in 2008. No issues so far. I have 5 boys, so they get used almost constantly.

I have always heard it would scratch the ceramic cook top. I am more concerned about dropping a cast iron pot or pan and cracking the cooktop.

I did run a test once. A lot of my cast iron is not flat. there are little ridges or feet on my dutch oven. I tried it once and heat transference was no good. and the cooktop could not figure out what was going on. it cycled on/off way to much versus a regular pot.

Phil

7 363
 07-09-2012, 04:44 PM
User Info
(07-09-2012, 04:16 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(07-09-2012, 03:24 PM)nEver-Ready Wrote:

Phil

I have always heard it would scratch the ceramic cook top. I am more concerned about dropping a cast iron pot or pan and cracking the cooktop.

I did run a test once. A lot of my cast iron is not flat. there are little ridges or feet on my dutch oven. I tried it once and heat transference was no good. and the cooktop could not figure out what was going on. it cycled on/off way to much versus a regular pot.

Phil

Guess it depends on the make/model of the cook top. We have a GE, and it seems to work just fine. If it didn't, I'd sooner get rid of the stove than the pans and other CI cookware.

0 419
 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Fwiw, my parents use it all the time on the glass stove top now. Doesn't scratch like my mom thought, just don't drop it!

If your CI isn't flat, it'd likely not work well on an induction range.

6 119
 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
A cast iron skillet is my favorite way to prepare a nice steak.

43 1,711
 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I love my Griswold and Wagner stuff. I always hunt those when looking for razors as well in my local antique store haunts. Still looking for that unwarped #9 or bigger round griddle!

146 1,990
 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
User Info
I know this thread is a bit old, but in addition to just recently becoming a wet shave devotee, I've also recently become a cast iron user. we always used them camping, but recently my wife and I were given a cast iron skillet when her grandmother passed away, and we both love it. we bought a few other sized skillets, and I'm hoping to get a dutch oven and this badboy - http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre-Sea...71SWMB1FR0 - for xmas. cast iron is hands down the best way to cook.

2 237
 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
I love my cast iron skillets. Most skillets I have are either cast iron or uncoated stainless steel.

Thanks for the recipe Johnny, I'll have to give that a try.

129 4,000
 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
My cast iron cookware is of the experienced kind. The ole gals have been around as long as my razors. I have great grandma's waffle iron...a cast iron outfit that sits over the burner of the stove, Wagner & Griswold frypans from both grandmothers, my mom's Lodge, and a few Lodge and used no name items I purchased for myself to complete my collection. I have 2 dutch ovens for camping use. Nothing like a slow cooked meal over the fire along with a dutch oven cobbler after a day on the trout stream.

1 346
 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM
User Info
I buy my wife a piece of cast iron cookware or accessory for every Christmas or Anniversary. (She's so lucky to have a romantic spouse like me.)

I've had good success buying Lodge cast iron cookware from katom.com.

18 251