05-04-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
I was recently given a vintage "Old Spice" shaving mug (manufactured circa mid-1950s to 1964), and I want to buy a soap puck -- preferably tallow based -- which has that same great smell. I love my Tabac, Old St. Patrick's (manufactured by The New York Shaving Company), and D.R. Harris Windsor because these soaps lather up so quickly and thickly. I also include within my "rotation" Haslinger Schafmilch and two pucks (British Leather and Gin & Tonic) manufactured by Stirling Soap Company which are also quite excellent. Any suggestions?

0 43
 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
I was thinking about  Mystic Water´s Windjammer! It may not be as easy to lather for you as the soaps you mentioned. Can give a  superb quality of shave
A more readily, faster lathering shaving soap may be Wickhams Spice Trade.

21 1,175
 05-04-2015, 02:03 PM
User Info
Despite the fact that I am old enough, I never used the original Old Spice - so can't vouch for closeness of match.  Soap Commander's "Endurance" is very good and if you like Stirling, their "Stirling Spice" is very good (stronger scent than Soap Commander)

3 459
 05-04-2015, 09:19 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Old spice soap pucks are still available occasionally on ebay.  Gotta keep your eye out for them though, they go quick.  Average prices between $20-30 depending on condition.

47 1,923
 05-05-2015, 08:52 AM
User Info
Spice Trade manufactured by the Wickham Soap Company in England.  "Awesome Shaving Soap". Well worth the price

0 123
 05-05-2015, 09:05 AM
User Info
Saint Charles Shave's Old Spice type has a great scent, but I've never tried the original. 

40 1,166
 05-05-2015, 09:13 AM
User Info
I tried a sample of Endurance by Soap Commander. That's good stuff.

0 858
 05-05-2015, 09:22 AM
User Info
Wickham Spice Trade. Great lather and great scent.

0 16
 05-05-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
I had the pleasure to speak with Michelle at Mystic Water Soap Company this morning. What a delightful and knowledgeable person. She was very generous with both her time and experience. I did purchase a puck of Windjammer because, among other reasons, I was impressed with the video presentation of the lather generated by one of her products. Another reason is that I am impressed with the naturalness of ingrediants which she uses in making her products. Will report as to my experience when I receive and use this soap.

0 43
 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:21 PM)JayBird-NJ Wrote: I had the pleasure to speak with Michelle at Mystic Water Soap Company this morning. What a delightful and knowledgeable person. She was very generous with both her time and experience. I did purchase a puck of Windjammer because, among other reasons, I was impressed with the video presentation of the lather generated by one of her products. Another reason is that I am impressed with the naturalness of ingrediants which she uses in making her products. Will report as to my experience when I receive and use this soap.
Mystic Water is very highly regarded around here. Excellent purchase.

40 1,166
 05-05-2015, 08:57 PM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:33 PM)shevek Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 05:21 PM)JayBird-NJ Wrote: I had the pleasure to speak with Michelle at Mystic Water Soap Company this morning.  What a delightful and knowledgeable person.  She was very generous with both her time and experience.  I did purchase a puck of Windjammer because, among other reasons, I was impressed with the video presentation of the lather generated by one of her products.  Another reason is that I am impressed with the naturalness of ingrediants which she uses in making her products.  Will report as to my experience when I receive and use this soap.
Mystic Water is very highly regarded around here. Excellent purchase.

+1

82 21,077
 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:21 PM)JayBird-NJ Wrote: I had the pleasure to speak with Michelle at Mystic Water Soap Company this morning.  What a delightful and knowledgeable person.  She was very generous with both her time and experience.  I did purchase a puck of Windjammer because, among other reasons, I was impressed with the video presentation of the lather generated by one of her products.  Another reason is that I am impressed with the naturalness of ingrediants which she uses in making her products.  Will report as to my experience when I receive and use this soap.

You only purchased one soap? I should have purchased more.  Biggrin

13 1,313
 05-06-2015, 11:09 AM
User Info
Reading the title I thought the question would be "performance" based. Upon reading the question I find you are looking for a scent copy of OS soap. I have and use my vintage OS soap. Having it, I never sought out OS copies of of it, but I can appreciate your quest.

To answer the question I imagined you were going to ask, TABAC is the only soap I have found that performs almost exactly like my vintage OS soap. In fact, I find them practically a mirror image of each other save for the scent. Makes me wonder if TABAC uses the same soap formula the vintage OS soap did, or when OS soap ceased production, if TABAC started using the formula. Of course I dont know particular dates and patent numbers so this is just conjecture on my part.

8 169
 05-06-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I too love Tabac, and while it has been many years -- i.e., decades -- since I last used Old Spice, I suspected there was something familiar with the experience.

0 43
 05-06-2015, 10:17 PM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 08:52 AM)feltspanky Wrote: Spice Trade manufactured by the Wickham Soap Company in England.  "Awesome Shaving Soap". Well worth the price

+1

8 264
 05-07-2015, 08:36 AM
User Info
Can anyone tell me if Wickham Soaps Spice Trade smells like anything else out there? I was gonna by Spice Trade but I already have Stirling Spice and a sample of Mystic Waters Windjammer. I didn't want to buy something that smells identical.

49 356
 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM
User Info
For a good tallow based old Spice scent soap that will fit the mug check out Stirling Soaps. They call it Stirling Spice. Great people to deal with and a great performer. 

147 3,534
 05-07-2015, 09:01 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
When Darron was developing Wickham "Spice Trade", I sent him half a puck of vintage Old Spice soap.  He sent a portion of that soap off to the labs for scent analysis.
Spice Trade is the offspring of that work.  Closest thing to the real deal scent-wise.

47 1,923
 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
User Info
I currently have Stirling Spice Freddie and the weird thing is it smelled just like my grandfather so now I need to see if he indeed wore old spice. Mr_Smartepants I don't think you could get any closer if they went through all that to produce ut. I guess I will be buying a tub then Smile

49 356
 05-08-2015, 03:15 AM
User Info
Well, I received yesterday afternoon my purchased "Windjammer" puck from Mystic Waters and I used it the first time this morning.  Although the scent is not the same -- or remotely similiar to Old Spice (both as I remembered it and as available now in aftershave lotion) -- it is EXCELLANT.  The puck lathered well and quickly; I had more than enough soap for three "passes"; my face was left clean and soft; and it fitted perfectly into my Old Spice mug.  Without exaggeration, I rank this soap on par -- if not better than -- Tabac, DR Harris, and Haslinger which I believe are the leaders in the shaving soap industry.  This is not idle praise since I had tried "For Him" puck from the Irish  company, Handmade Soap, and have discontinued its use because I was not impressed with its lather.  I intend to purchase many more products from Mystic Water and cannot recommend this item enough.

0 43