05-04-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
I'd like to share my experiences with Country Club for Men. Hopefully this will be useful for those trying to decide which one to order.

First, the aftershaves: I have to say that these are my favorite. Before this, I thought Fine was the best. They are spot on with a lot of their scents matching popular frags and the scent lasts a while. Then came CC aftershaves. Fine leaves a pretty clean face feel but CC is cleaner (I can't stand oily/greasy splashes). My preference for scent strength has also changed and I look for splashes that won't interfere with the fragrance I use.

Sweet Water

Starting with my favorite, this is what I'd choose if I could only use one splash for the rest of my life. It's a light sweet scent that will go with anything and everything. This is a no brainer to reach for and is what I'll use just about every time if I'm going to leave the house. Perfect.

Frozen Vetiver

This is an interesting one that I've used the second most and still can't figure out. First, don't open this and judge the scent. There's menthol and that's what you will smell until it dries down (menthol level is medium). I think it's supposed to smell like Original Vetiver by Creed but it's better. I'm speculating but the inspiration is from Creed's use of the vetiver leaf rather than root. It has a brighter green feel.

Southern Oud

Another one inspired by Creed, their Royal Oud. This one is very close to the frag. Don't worry, just like the Creed, very little oud. I like oud but not splashed on my face. It's more about being a classic spicy scent and it smells expensive. The tagline would read "Gentleman" but it could also read "Rugged". I really like this one because just like Royal Oud, I like the scent but I don't feel it matches me. This allows me to enjoy it without smelling like it all day. This is exactly what I want from an aftershave. Enjoy the scent without having to commit to it.

One more Creed, Royal Water. Not the most popular Creed but one of the few I like from the house. I instantly imagined being on vacation in the summer where you're out all day in the heat until you finally arrive at your hotel. You step into a classy marbled lobby where you feel the a/c and get that instant feeling of relief. It's that in a bottle. Perfect for hot weather. Don't sleep on this one.

Modern Fougere

I have to commend CC and Fine for giving us splashes that are so close to the actual fragrance. This is definitely Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme but it skips straight to the heart. The opening of D&G PH is kind of boring but the dry down is great. Modern Fougere skips right to the good stuff. You've probably smelt D&G PH but if you haven't, there are better reviews out there. If you gave a blind scent test to women, I'd bet 9/10 would choose this one.

Classic Fougere

I only have a sample of this one. Why you ask? I thought I'd be responsible and not buy them all. It's a classic fougere that is green and masculine.

*I have a request to throw out. I have grown an appreciation for florals but if I smell even slightly floral, I feel very self conscious. A floral splash would be a nice addition.

Shaving Soap: I'm going to preface that I like the vegan over tallow. This is the only company that I don't go for tallow. There's something magic in the vegan formula. I use it whenever I'm in a rush but need a perfect lather which is most days. This seems to be unchanged from Beer Soap Brewing Company (BSBC), minus the beer. I do own a few of the tallows and use them if I don't bowl lather. The tallow is firmer and a better bang for your buck.

Yacht Club

Starting with my favorite again. I just bought it because I don't see a lot of aquatic soap scents. I want to like aquatics because I live in a humid climate but there are very few I like. This is one of my best buys. Best aquatic scent ever. I'd never compare an artisan soap scent to niche or designer fragrances because it's really unfair. This one can stand against any of them. Sel Marin by Heeley, Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company, Nautica Voyage, and so on, this is better. This is a must own.

Sweet Tobacco

I bought this without reading it was tobacco flower. I was expecting pipe tobacco but what a pleasant surprise. This is floral but in a masculine way. Then I started to think Tabac. I busted out a jar of Tabac which I never cared for. Using Tabac the next day, similar scent but during the shave I got that floral powder granny smell. Sweet Tobacco is a modern Tabac. No granny smell but you get that same feeling of luxury. Like Yacht Club, I get the urge to use this and actually enjoy Tabac now.

Mocaccino

This is the most gourmand soap I own. It's like shaving with a mocha frappe. This isn't something you just stick in your rotation. You have to be in the mood for something sweet. It could be a form of diet using this to curb a craving. It's well done as it doesn't have that cloyingly sweet scented candle smell. Nice addition especially if you don't have something like this.

*The soaps below are from the BSBC line. I think they're the same because I don't believe these had beer.

La Habana

In my all time top 3 scents (should have listed this first). This is a must try. It's not a sweet pipe tobacco. This is a game changing scent akin to Dior's Fahrenheit stepping out of the box in the designer fragrance world. The tobacco and tea give it an almost gasoline note that is intoxicating. I'll stop here because I can't do this scent justice.

London Skies

This is the very first BSBC I used and the one that got me hooked. I still can't describe this one. This is what I give out to friends as a "gateway" soap. This is always the one they will choose to try. I think there was beer so the scent may have changed. This is the safest buy. It should appeal to the most noses without being boring.

Creme de Menthe

I'm glad this one was brought over from BSBC. It starts off like mint chocolate chip ice cream and you think, "This is nice." Then you start getting an Irish whiskey vibe where you think, "There it is." It's the twist where you think the scent is going to be one thing then turns into another.

I tried to only list those that are for sale. I want to list a few others I really liked from BSBC.
Bergamot Violet Vetiver (BVV)
Brass Monkey
Blue
Orange Ylang Ylang
Oatmeal Milk Honey
Spearmint Eucalyptus

I'd like to hear your experiences with CC.

*Just noticed they have bath/body soap, anyone try it?

4 355
 05-04-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I was just about to place an order but was on the fence as To which ones I wanted. I knew I wanted La Habana, I was also thinking root beer for some reason. I love root beer but don't know that I will like it in a soap maybe still on the fence on that one! Has anyone tried that one???? Any thoughts???

4 208
 05-04-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 05:08 PM)OccamsRazor Wrote: Thanks for the review. I was just about to place an order but was on the fence as To which ones I wanted. I knew I wanted La Habana, I was also thinking root beer for some reason. I love root beer but don't know that I will like it in a soap maybe still on the fence on that one! Has anyone tried that one???? Any thoughts???

I bought a sample of that. It smells exactly like the expensive root beer in a glass bottle that probably says Sarsaparilla on the label. If you love root beer, you won't be disappointed. I also got a sample of Jaeger that smells exactly as you'd expect.

4 355
 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
As a BSBC fan, I was anxiously awaiting the tallow soaps but was disappointed in the scents. I thought the tallow soaps would be in the same scents as the vegan ones.

16 249
 05-04-2015, 08:45 PM
User Info
Very nice and detailed assessments! Thanks for sharing! 

83 21,115
 05-06-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
I'm enjoying the Magnolia soap , are quite impressive, great scent  and excellent skin care. Thumbup

8 1,704
 05-06-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
Is country club for men and BSBC the same company?
The title is country club but the review has BSBC.

2 122
 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM
User Info
(05-06-2015, 08:38 PM)s869010 Wrote: Is country club for men and BSBC the same company?
The title is country club but the review has BSBC.

It's my understanding that yes the beer soap brewing company is indeed the country club for men.

4 208
 05-07-2015, 04:57 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I agee with the above. I have been using the aftershaves for some time now. Southern Oud is my favorite. I also have, like, and use Sweet Water, Frozen Vetiver, and Modern Fougere.

I recently ordered a jar of the CC soap: La Habana. I happened to use it this morning. It is an excellent soap. It took me a couple of shaves to dial it in. FYI-No beer in the CC line like there was in the other original line.

[Image: SOTD%204-23-15_zpswugaj2wr.jpg]

4 2,827
 05-08-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
Thanks Dave.  Very detailed and thorough.  I appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your thoughts!  I didn't know you liked Sweet Water so much

1 184
 05-10-2015, 12:56 AM
User Info
(05-08-2015, 09:24 PM)Kevin@BSBC Wrote: Thanks Dave.  Very detailed and thorough.  I appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your thoughts!  I didn't know you liked Sweet Water so much

No prob, I need to try Magnolia next time.

4 355
 05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
I just shaved with Cahaba Blues and followed up with Sweet Water AS, so I thought I'd chime in.

I was a big fan of the tallow BSBC soaps and was eagerly waiting for him to release his tallow line.  But his initial line of scents in tallow didn't appeal to me - I was hoping he would basically take his vegan scents (which look awesome) and make tallow out of them.  But I did try Cahaba Blues the other day because it was only $13.50 (as opposed to ~$20 for his other tallow) and it sounded appealing, so I took a flier on it.

The shave:  Just like his BSBC tallow, the soap was a very good performer.  It creates an amazingly rich lather very easily.  The shave was nice and slick and irritation free.  The post-shave feel was just above average, so it was fine.
My main disappointment was the scent.  Specifically the strength. I know everyone differs on this, but I like a strong scent.  I'm a regular guy who likes things to be obvious - I don't care for "subtlety".  If I need to hunt around and take giant whiffs to smell the soap I feel like I may as well just buy unscented. And that's what this soap is like to me - unscented.  Of the very faint whiffs I do get, it smells exactly like CRSW "Bergamot and Bay" (which also smells exactly like WSP's "Tobacco" and Reef Point's "Tobacco and Bay").  I do like that scent, but in this case I barely noticed it at all.  It's strange because I don't remember scent strength being a problem in the BSBC days.

The aftershave was marvelous.  The scent was really good and it was not at all sticky on my face.  There was a faint burn in the beginning but quickly disappeared and my face felt extremely smooth and soft all day - absolutely wonderful!  I'll eventually pick up a full bottle once I try a couple other samples.

16 249
 05-27-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
Can anyone comment on their tallow soaps, and the scent of Aspen or Fern?

16 1,027
 05-27-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
The post I just did on Cahaba Blues was a tallow soap...

16 249
 05-27-2015, 02:35 PM
User Info
(05-27-2015, 01:44 PM)shakermaker41 Wrote: The post I just did on Cahaba Blues was a tallow soap...

The ingredients are pretty different between the $13.50 and $20 soaps...

Aspen:
Ingredients:  Water, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Kokum Butter, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Lanolin, Glycerin, Argan Oil, Fragrance, Allantoin

Cahaba Blues:
Ingredients:  Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Water, Tallow, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Good People Brown Ale Beer

In my experience, things like kokum and shea butters, lanolin, argan oil, and allantoin significantly improve the shave and post-shave quality of a lather. Also, the $20 soaps don't use beer.

16 1,027
 05-28-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
(05-27-2015, 02:35 PM)crazindndude Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 01:44 PM)shakermaker41 Wrote: The post I just did on Cahaba Blues was a tallow soap...

The ingredients are pretty different between the $13.50 and $20 soaps...

Aspen:
Ingredients:  Water, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Kokum Butter, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Shea Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Lanolin, Glycerin, Argan Oil, Fragrance, Allantoin

Cahaba Blues:
Ingredients:  Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Water, Tallow, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Castor Oil, Good People Brown Ale Beer

In my experience, things like kokum and shea butters, lanolin, argan oil, and allantoin significantly improve the shave and post-shave quality of a lather. Also, the $20 soaps don't use beer.

Wow, good catch! I didn't notice that there were two different tallow formulations. They are all lumped together in his "Tallow" category. I figured the lower price was like an introductory price.

I agree that those additional ingredients, particularly lanolin and allantoin, make for a wonderful post-shave.

16 249
 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
(05-04-2015, 07:11 PM)shakermaker41 Wrote: As a BSBC fan, I was anxiously awaiting the tallow soaps but was disappointed in the scents. I thought the tallow soaps would be in the same scents as the vegan ones.

I was a big fan of the Beer Soap Brewing Company, as well, particularly of the non-tallow soaps.
Does anybody know why Kevin changed the name of his company, or why he stopped using beer in his soaps?  Finally, I don't think that he previously offered aftershaves. given the quality of his soaps, I may have to give his aftershaves a try.

A lot has changed, apparently.

2 1,557
 05-30-2015, 04:18 PM
User Info
(05-30-2015, 01:50 PM)kingfisher Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 07:11 PM)shakermaker41 Wrote: As a BSBC fan, I was anxiously awaiting the tallow soaps but was disappointed in the scents. I thought the tallow soaps would be in the same scents as the vegan ones.

I was a big fan of the Beer Soap Brewing Company, as well, particularly of the non-tallow soaps.
Does anybody know why Kevin changed the name of his company, or why he stopped using beer in his soaps?  Finally, I don't think that he previously offered aftershaves. given the quality of his soaps, I may have to give his aftershaves a try.

He brought back the beer soaps; they're the ones that cost $13.50. I'm more curious as to the quality of his tallow non-beer soaps; the ingredients list looks very promising.

16 1,027
 05-30-2015, 04:50 PM
User Info
(05-30-2015, 04:18 PM)crazindndude Wrote:
(05-30-2015, 01:50 PM)kingfisher Wrote:

He brought back the beer soaps; they're the ones that cost $13.50. I'm more curious as to the quality of his tallow non-beer soaps; the ingredients list looks very promising.

I'm sure they're good soaps. Kevin's stuff has always been nice. He has a real knack for making great soaps, and has perpetually been almost criminally underrated, in my opinion.  
His prior, now discontinued non-tallow soaps were some of the best soaps I've ever used. 
If his soaps had a weak spot, it was likely his scents. They weren't bad, but most of them didn't really speak to me, with the possible exception of bergamot, Vetiver, violet, which was very nice. 

2 1,557