06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
User Info
So today is a NSD (No Shave Day) for me and I actually feel like I'm missing out from posting my SOTD. So to counteract my guilt of not having a SOTD to post, I introduce the NSD Thread.

Why did you not shave today? Was it planned or forced upon you? Do you already have your kit set in your mind for tomorrow's shave?

My NSD today was for a couple reasons. First I'm not feeling well as a bad cough crept up on me yesterday and I didn't think it'd be a good idea to be gliding a sharp blade across my face when a cough came. Secondly, I'm anticipating my new Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush today and I'd like to give it a good workout. So hopefully tomorrow I'll use the new brush to whip up some La Famiglia UltraLather and then slice my 2 day growth off with the Valet AutoStrop. Stay tuned to tomorrow's SOTD to see if it goes according to plan.

31 7,912
 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, this will be my one and only post in this thread as I shave everyday. If I have a no shave day, you can read about it in my obituary.Smile

173 23,490
 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
(06-13-2012, 08:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: Brian, this will be my one and only post in this thread as I shave everyday. If I have a no shave day, you can read about it in my obituary.Smile

Something tells me Johnny that whenever that time comes, it will certainly be after you've had a shave. Winky

I also hope that I don't have to post in here too often, but a NSD can happen on occasion for me and I think a few others as well.

31 7,912
 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I have only ever shaved every other day, so I guess I'll be here quite a lot. I think I may be getting to the stage where I could shave every day, but on the whole I like to shave every other day to give my face a chance to recover. My skin has traditionally been very upset after shaving. Wet shaving has improved this immeasurably, but until I'm an expert, every other day it will be. Having said that, I do miss shaving when I'm on a NSD.

1 290
 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm not shaving today but this is a rarity. Mostly because I work mid nights so I do not shave until afternoon or evening. Tommorow though I'm in a golf tournament early so I will be shaving in the morning.

45 3,955
 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
for various reasons I've slept in the past 2 days so no shaves for me. I think I'll just shower and shave to make sure it doesn't become a trend.

It's funny because I used to go about a week in between shaves. Someone asked me today if I'm growing my beard out again after just 2 days this time.

0 120
 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
oh man, I guess I'll be posting in the NSD thread A LOT seeing as how I normally go 2-3+ weeks without shaving. as of late, however, I've been forcing myself to shave about twice a week so I can get my technique down and to try more razors/blade combinations.

the reason I don't shave daily is there's really no need for it. I work alone in my office in an environment that's not really "upscale", so to speak.

40 5,830
 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
User Info
(06-13-2012, 01:47 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: oh man, I guess I'll be posting in the NSD thread A LOT seeing as how I normally go 2-3+ weeks without shaving. as of late, however, I've been forcing myself to shave about twice a week so I can get my technique down and to try more razors/blade combinations.

the reason I don't shave daily is there's really no need for it. I work alone in my office in an environment that's not really "upscale", so to speak.

Wow Andrew, I couldn't do it. Just rubbing my face right now is making me wish I had shaved this morning. Depending on how I'm feeling I may have o shave tonight. I enjoy the act of shaving now as well as the smooth face. It's actually uncomfortable to stroke the back of my hand against my stubble after 36 hours of growth.

31 7,912
 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I'm sitting here with my right eye bandaged after cataract surgery + a procedure to correct astigmatism in that eye. I'm afraid to try to shave with one eye! Hopefully tomorrow when the bandage comes off I'll be able to shave again.

I would go over a week sometimes without shaving when I hated it so. I'd let it get out so long that it would bother me. Now if I miss a single day I can't stand the feel of the stubble. Isn't that wild?

0 396
 06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
(06-13-2012, 04:43 PM)uncledave Wrote: I'm sitting here with my right eye bandaged after cataract surgery + a procedure to correct astigmatism in that eye. I'm afraid to try to shave with one eye! Hopefully tomorrow when the bandage comes off I'll be able to shave again.

I would go over a week sometimes without shaving when I hated it so. I'd let it get out so long that it would bother me. Now if I miss a single day I can't stand the feel of the stubble. Isn't that wild?

Uncle Dave, I hope you healing is quick and that the surgery corrects everything you were hoping for and more.

My posting in this thread will be a rare occasion but the title of the thread did catch my attention.

29 1,731
 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-13-2012, 11:49 AM)Persius Wrote: I have only ever shaved every other day, so I guess I'll be here quite a lot. I think I may be getting to the stage where I could shave every day, but on the whole I like to shave every other day to give my face a chance to recover. My skin has traditionally been very upset after shaving. Wet shaving has improved this immeasurably, but until I'm an expert, every other day it will be. Having said that, I do miss shaving when I'm on a NSD.

Similar story as yourself...

Before returning to traditional wetshaving I use to shave every other day at best, though it truth it ended up being more like every 3 to 4 days...

When I returned to traditional wetshaving I started out shaving every other day. I would like to shave everyday, but my sensitive skin tells me differently... I've ended up compromising with my sensitive skin and now shave every 36 hours.

23 1,872
 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 04:50 PM)ridgerunner Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 04:43 PM)uncledave Wrote: I'm sitting here with my right eye bandaged after cataract surgery + a procedure to correct astigmatism in that eye. I'm afraid to try to shave with one eye! Hopefully tomorrow when the bandage comes off I'll be able to shave again.

Uncle Dave, I hope you healing is quick and that the surgery corrects everything you were hoping for and more.

My posting in this thread will be a rare occasion but the title of the thread did catch my attention.

William, Thank you so much. I appreciate the good wishes and the fact that you posted them!

0 396
 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
(06-13-2012, 01:47 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: oh man, I guess I'll be posting in the NSD thread A LOT seeing as how I normally go 2-3+ weeks without shaving. as of late, however, I've been forcing myself to shave about twice a week so I can get my technique down and to try more razors/blade combinations.

Andrew, no need to shave! Good golly, man, are you crazy! A good shave every day will definitely enliven your mood and day, sir! Try it for two or three weeks to experiment! Then, you will not be able to go a day without it once you feel that stubble on your face and look in the mirror!Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 08:10 PM)celestino Wrote:

Andrew, no need to shave! Good golly, man, are you crazy! A good shave every day will definitely enliven your mood and day, sir! Try it for two or three weeks to experiment! Then, you will not be able to go a day without it once you feel that stubble on your face and look in the mirror!Biggrin

+1 This I can vouch for from personal experience!

0 396
 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
Uncle Dave, follow your Drs advice and have no complications. Heal rapidly and get back to it ASAP.

I can't go w/o a shave. I did twice since taking up the blade and I started to shake and get chills. Then I shaved and everything was OK again. I have no idea what was happening.

Seriously, Even bowl lathering once, instead of face lathering, threw my whole day off.

OK, I admit it, my name is Brian and I'm a shaveaholic. And I don't want to quit.

Like Johnny, I plan on posting here very infrequently. The ride right now is just too good! (all those years wasted!)

Andrew, you need to work on that! How do you tolerate it? You gotta be jonesin' buddy! 2 weeks w/o a shave! Withdrawal every 2 weeks! Unbelieveable determination on your part.

Maybe folks can post here and tell us what they would have shaved with? Sorta like fantasy football?

32 6,308
 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
UncleDave...I hope you make a speedy recovery. I am impressed that you are staring at a computer so soon after eye surgery.

45 16,285
 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 08:38 PM)bullgoose Wrote: UncleDave...I hope you make a speedy recovery. I am impressed that you are staring at a computer so soon after eye surgery.

Thanks Phil! It's not too easy. I'll have to wait for my reading glasses until my eyes settle down from the operations.

0 396
 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
User Info
(06-13-2012, 02:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Wow Andrew, I couldn't do it. Just rubbing my face right now is making me wish I had shaved this morning. Depending on how I'm feeling I may have o shave tonight. I enjoy the act of shaving now as well as the smooth face. It's actually uncomfortable to stroke the back of my hand against my stubble after 36 hours of growth.

it really doesn't bother me because I've never really worked in an environment that called for such a thing. I usually don't shave daily because I still tend to get some burn and bumps on the lower end of my neck region, so I'll let it go and go and go until the itching gets on my nerves and I shave.

but like I said, I've been forcing myself to shave more often to try new equipment and to get better with my technique.

(06-13-2012, 08:10 PM)celestino Wrote:

I don't know..shaving seems more of annoyance to me than anything. I do it enjoy it more now that I use a brush and vintage razors compared to gel and multi-blade razors, that's for sure.

(06-13-2012, 08:34 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Uncle Dave, follow your Drs advice and have no complications. Heal rapidly and get back to it ASAP.

I can't go w/o a shave. I did twice since taking up the blade and I started to shake and get chills. Then I shaved and everything was OK again. I have no idea what was happening.

Seriously, Even bowl lathering once, instead of face lathering, threw my whole day off.

OK, I admit it, my name is Brian and I'm a shaveaholic. And I don't want to quit.

Like Johnny, I plan on posting here very infrequently. The ride right now is just too good! (all those years wasted!)

Andrew, you need to work on that! How do you tolerate it? You gotta be jonesin' buddy! 2 weeks w/o a shave! Withdrawal every 2 weeks! Unbelieveable determination on your part.

Maybe folks can post here and tell us what they would have shaved with? Sorta like fantasy football?

well, I guess 2-3 weeks isn't bad considering I used to go months in the past. Biggrin

40 5,830
 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I am another one that shaves every day, even when I'm on vacation. I think this is a great idea for a thread, though, because if I don't shave, there's probably a reason worth writing about. Surgery, no water supply, zombie apocalypse, etc.

0 270
 06-15-2012, 05:54 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I didn't shave yesterday because I woke up feeling terrible and never really started feeling better until bed time. I also had a rotten shave on Wednesday and my face was still a bit sore, which added to my disinclination.

(06-13-2012, 08:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: Brian, this will be my one and only post in this thread as I shave everyday. If I have a no shave day, you can read about it in my obituary.Smile

You should be sure to put in your will that you want a barber shave of your corpse before the viewing. No need for unsightly stubble at the funeral.

10 1,858