05-05-2015, 02:00 AM
User Info
Good morning gents! To make a long story short my cable bill is a joke and I laugh anytime I open it now. I just went and bought a new Vizio 4K smart TV so we can start using Netflix,  Hulu, etc to get rid of cable.

My other TV is not a smart TV but is a nice Samsung. I want to be able to set it up as well and was wondering for those of you that have used one or both the items listed in the title what/how your experience was/is and what do you prefer?

As usual thanks for all your help guys!

147 3,537
 05-05-2015, 04:43 AM
User Info
Nevermore everyone. Just going to get a smart blue ray player. Has all the features as a smart TV + the Blu-ray player option! 

147 3,537
 05-05-2015, 04:55 AM
User Info
I just connect my laptop via hdmi cable.

18 713
 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 04:43 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Nevermore everyone. Just going to get a smart blue ray player. Has all the features as a smart TV + the Blu-ray player option! 
The PS3 has it all too.

39 3,919
 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM
User Info
I have the PS3 but me and my wife are huge Walking Dead and Game of Thrones followers. After more searching I'm actually looking at the Roku 2. I can get both AMC and HBO with that and just use the PS3as the Blu-ray ray. 

147 3,537
 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
Checkout Fire Stick with Kodi. I have a cookbook reddit link if you are interested. You will be able to watch what you mentioned above and then some and that's all I will say about that. Good luck.

~Royce

4 377
 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM
User Info
Couldn't help you, Freddie, as I haven't had cable for over 25 years! Biggrin

83 21,077
 05-06-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
I wound going with the Roku 2. Has everything I'm after with over 1500 apps. Plan to get it set up tonight!

@Celestino. I don't need cable but it's nice to be able to watch a flick from time to time. Having a 2 year old sometimes it's a necessity to have a show to occupy them when you're trying to pay bills and straighten up lol. 

147 3,537
 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM
User Info
Just figured I would update for anyone else looking for ways to save some money!!  I just cut my cable today. We have a smart TV in our living room so I just use that now for anything upstairs but after my daughter goes to bed we head to the den for the ROKU2. 

After much searching and reading I decided to go with it due to side by side comparisons and availability of apps compared to Fire stick, Google Chrome, and Apple TV. It's a simple plug and play. Answer some questions it asks and your good to go. Initial upfront cost is $65 and you pay nothing to use it. Can be bought at Walmart, Best Buy,  Target,  etc. It will turn any TV with RCA or HDMI inputs into a smart TV. I recommend HDMI for better picture quality. 

Some of the apps you do have to pay for monthly such as Sling Television which is one I now use and is a live stream app meaning you stay up to date on your new episodes etc. For me it's Game of Thrones and Walking Dead lol. With that, Netflix, Hulu, and then the free apps we have everything we would ever care to watch and them some. 

Before cutting the cord I was paying $175-180 monthly for just cable and Internet. Now with cutting the cord,  keeping just Internet (which I downgraded to just 5 mbs which is just fine for streaming), and using the Roku I pay only $75. Nice, instant $100 savings per month! 

Obviously if I wanted to save even more I could just cancel some apps and may still do so if I find all I need cheaper or for free else where. The guy at Cox Cable was actually impressed, took some info for himself, and told me that if more people thought like this the cable companies might wake up and be more competitive and stop being outrageous. 

Hope this helps others save. 

147 3,537
 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM
User Info
I currently have the same concerns since Verizon Fios has jumped in price significantly. What gougers. And that's even without an HD box. Roku has been recommended to me, but it's not the movies I would miss in giving up cable, as well as my current Internet speed, it's the documentaries and History and Science channels, as well as TCM and FX, and various other standard cable channels. I'm still looking into this, but a C-note of savings per month sounds awfully appealing.

29 1,776
 05-18-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
Ron,  a good number of those shows and or apps are available. There are some such as FX that you have to have a cable provider to use the app at this time but so many other apps have those exact same shows,  documentaries, science,  for free! I'm still going through everything and seeing what's all out there but apps such as Netflix or Hulu have a lot of them and they only run $8 per month th to use

Here's Slings basic channel line up $20 a month to give you an idea

ESPN, ESPN2, AMC, TNT, TBS, CNN, A&E, Lifetime, History, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Disney Channel, ABC Family, IFC, H2, El Rey Network, Maker, Galavision

147 3,537
 05-18-2015, 08:54 PM
User Info
Those channel examples look promising, Freddie. I've only glanced at the Roku site before now, so I need to check it out in more depth. Lots of options and apps to plow through. Looks like I can also access HBO Go, too, so it's good to know there's more than just Netflix and Hulu, etc., available.

29 1,776
 05-19-2015, 01:27 AM
User Info
The only issue with HBO Go is that you have to keep your cable provider and already have an HBO account through them. It will require HBO account info that only your cable provider can provide. You can actually purchase an HBO account through Sling Television for an extra $15 monthly and cancel at any time. There are no contracts. 

147 3,537
 05-19-2015, 03:36 AM
User Info
I've had a Roku since the first model. I gave up on cable about 5 years ago, and I don't miss it at all. The Roku has all the channels I want, and I don't have to pay for hundreds of channels I never use.

My one gripe with the Roku is that they regularly make their older models obsolete - for no apparent reason! You just start getting messages that a new Roku is available and you need to upgrade. Well, the older one is still working fine, so why do I have to upgrade? It's a minor quibble as it means a $100 outlay every few years, but I get cranky when there's no real good reason to make hardware obsolete --- and I'm sure the main reason for requiring the upgrade is revenue generation. Since they change their API at that point, third party vendors provide channels that will not work on the older hardware. 

As I said, it's a minor quibble, but it is annoying.

37 1,743
 05-19-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
I'm sure I'd get used to using a Roku as well as the channel line-up since I've switched services so many times before. It just takes a while to motivate, which at Verizon's rates won't be long.

29 1,776
 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM
User Info
@Yohann. I agree with it being minor. If I'm instantly saving $100+ a month then $65 every few years is nothing. I spend more than that in soaps lol.  Smile

@Ron: I was apprehensive at first but after installing it was a peace of cake and easier than I imagined doing.  

147 3,537
 05-19-2015, 09:25 AM
User Info
I checked out Sling, Freddie, and am liking this Roku idea even more now. The only sticking point is trying to get out of the contract with Verizon that has 10 more months to run. I'd love to dump them and their Internet service, too, but gotta keep the 'Net, you know. Their penalties for breaking contract are severe, and I haven't been able to get them to bargain. I hope they end up cutting their own throat over their high prices.

29 1,776
 05-19-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Freddie! 

83 21,077
 05-19-2015, 01:59 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
Sling is running a special where if you prepay 3 months of service ($60) you can get a Roku 3 for $49.99.  A plug and play solution + 3 months of programming for less than a month of premium cable. 

4 194
 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
(05-19-2015, 01:59 PM)dajmacd Wrote: Sling is running a special where if you prepay 3 months of service ($60) you can get a Roku 3 for $49.99.  A plug and play solution + 3 months of programming for less than a month of premium cable. 

That's a sweet deal on the Roku3! I believe the main difference between the 2 and 3 is the 3 has  voice control. 

147 3,537