05-05-2015, 04:58 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
Excuse this rather simple question, but how many of you actually skin stretch during your shave? And does it make a big difference in the closeness of your shave.? Is there a simple technique to do this or does it depend on how one’s whiskers grow? Thanks.

21 473
 05-05-2015, 05:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The older I get, the more I stretch.  Makes a big difference for me, especially using a straight razor.  Try to keep the skin as tight as possible so the blade glides over the skin without getting snagged on a wrinkle.

179 23,943
 05-05-2015, 06:17 AM
User Info
Whenever I've dabbled with straight shaving, I've found that really thoroughly stretching the skin is imperative.  But with a DE, I'll do some light "firming" techniques, like gently tugging down at the base of my neck.  I tried doing the thorough/straight-shaving skin stretching techniques with my DE shaves and found that they create too much irritation for little gain.

84 1,505
 05-05-2015, 06:20 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I stretch my skin. I started wet shaving with a straight so switching to DE it was natural to stretch. I usually pull up for cheeks and jawline, down for chin, sideways on the neck. I'll open my mouth an move my jaw. When fingers get slick I rub alum on them. 

9 462
 05-05-2015, 06:32 AM
User Info
I never stretched when I used to use DEs. I use SE nows and stretch.

18 713
 05-05-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
I always stretch my skin. It also makes the shaves closer with a DE, not just with straights. And, you are correct, it depends on direction of hair growth which way you stretch. You just slowly figure it all out.

1 67
 05-05-2015, 08:17 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-05-2015, 06:17 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Whenever I've dabbled with straight shaving, I've found that really thoroughly stretching the skin is imperative.  But with a DE, I'll do some light "firming" techniques, like gently tugging down at the base of my neck.  I tried doing the thorough/straight-shaving skin stretching techniques with my DE shaves and found that they create too much irritation for little gain.

Yea, that is what I am experiencing. I am trying to cut down on the passes from 4 to 3 , if I can. However, I don’t want to start dealing with facial irritation. Thanks H

21 473
 05-05-2015, 08:20 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-05-2015, 06:32 AM)fram773 Wrote: I never stretched when I used to use DEs. I use SE nows and stretch.
Interesting, I just went from a DE to a Mongoose. Have not tried to skin stretched yet. Will concentrate on doing so on my next shave. I try to leave my neck out of it. Due to some irritation. Thanks Harry

21 473
 05-05-2015, 08:22 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-05-2015, 05:35 AM)Johnny Wrote: The older I get, the more I stretch.  Makes a big difference for me, especially using a straight razor.  Try to keep the skin as tight as possible so the blade glides over the skin without getting snagged on a wrinkle.
Yea, I have some of the same issues. I now use a Mongoose and want to try and get a very good shave while going from 4 to 3 passes. 
Thanks Harry.

21 473
 05-05-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
If I don't stretch a bit on my neck, I can't get a close shave there, as the hair is pretty flat against my skin. It's a balancing act though - If I stretch too much, I get ingrowns.

0 1,098
 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM
User Info
If your looking for the BBS shaving experience, it's much easier to attain by learning to stretch your skin.

0 123
 05-05-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
I don't know how much experience you have with traditional shaving, and this is slightly off-topic, but I find that being able to reduce the number of passes while attaining a nice shave is probably one of the most important aspects in reducing irritation.  I know this is pretty common-sense.  Pretty much every time I do four passes I get some sort of irritation or weepers, nicks, etc.

In my opinion, skin stretching is also pretty important in using SE razors.  When I had a Mongoose I found that stretching more than what I do for my DE was helpful.

84 1,505
 05-05-2015, 11:40 AM
User Info
I stretch when using a straight, but not when using a DE. 

51 6,437
 05-05-2015, 12:21 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I stretch with a straight. It is a requirement for me, if I want my water to stay clear and my lather to stay white, not pink.
I have tested whether or not it matters with DEs and vintage SEs, and for me it makes little difference with those razors.
The only thing I can figure is that the straight is a wider edge and covers more of the face at one time, so it needs a little help with the contours of my face. I have never shaved with a Mongoose, but I would be willing to bet that with it's wider edge I would need to stretch when using it as well.

2 1,696
 05-05-2015, 12:27 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(05-05-2015, 12:21 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I stretch with a straight. It is a requirement for me, if I want my water to stay clear and my lather to stay white, not pink.
I have tested whether or not it matters with DEs and vintage SEs, and for me it makes little difference with those razors.
The only thing I can figure is that the straight is a wider edge and covers more of the face at one time, so it needs a little help with the contours of my face. I have never shaved with a Mongoose, but I would be willing to bet that with it's wider edge I would need to stretch when using it as well.
Thanks makes sense, I will try with  my next shave. Harry

21 473
 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM
User Info
How do you gentleman stretch around the chin?

82 1,374
 05-05-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
I stretch my skin especially with the more aggressive razor (r41,fatip) the shaves for me are better and if I don't stretch certain places on my neck there will be blood. I rub my fingers across my alum block first so that I'm not just sliding all over the place. As far as stretching the chin I place one or 2 finger halfway between lip and chin and push the skin the direction I need it to go, basically same thing as most folks do when shaving their Adams apple.

3 1,356
 05-05-2015, 03:39 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
With a straight, I pretty much have to stretch to get a decent shave. With a safety razor, I usually don't. I've always thought the safety bar/comb of a DE or SE stretch the skin a little out in front of the blade.

0 272
 05-05-2015, 03:45 PM
User Info
I scretch a little bit with gestures, If I scretch much I get irritated especially on my neck.

17 457
 05-07-2015, 02:36 PM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 03:11 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: How do you gentleman stretch around the chin?

I have found that taking your index finger of the opposite hand your holding your razor and pushing down under your chin works for me when using a straight razor or Mongoose. I also pull from the sides depending on the pass I am making.  

6 166