05-05-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
I recently purchased 2 pucks of Meissner from Connaught's.  First - Connaught's was a pleasure to deal with - great prices and fast shipping.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  The one review I read said that it was slick but not great lather.  The soaps landed yesterday and following are my thoughts...
  • The packaging was interesting - the bowl and soap came in separate boxes.  
  • The bowls are a lovely dark wood.  The pucks are a very hard soap with Meissner printed on top. 
  • The scents - I purchased the Menthol and the Dark Limes.  They both smelled fantastic out of the box.  I opened the package while I was watching a show.  I kept reaching over and smelling the pucks - great fragrances!
  • I used the dark limes this morning.  I put a little water on top of the puck and headed into the shower.  When I came out, I lathered up the puck.  Based on the one review I read, I was concerned about the lathering.  What a surprise - this stuff is a lather bomb!  I loaded the brush for about 20 seconds and went right to my face.  I ended up with ridiculously copious amounts of very thick lather.  I did my usual 3 passes.  It felt like there was enough left to shave for the next week!
  • The scent was great, the shave was great and I can't wait to try the menthol tomorrow.
  • Overall, these seem like very high quality soaps and I'm glad I bought them.

95 193
 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
User Info
Congratulations, and I'm glad you like the Meißner soaps.

There have been many good reports for these soaps, but having recently tried both the Dark Limes and the Pink Grapefruit, I passed them on. I certainly had no difficulty generating a decent lather, however, I failed to see the "WOW Factor". Yes, they do what they are supposed to do but, IMO, there are other soaps that match them in performance, and in some areas, exceed.

I'm glad I tried them. After all, you never know what you might be missing until you do. Unfortunately, I don't get all the fuss with these. I guess that's what makes this hobby so interesting, with so many products out there to be experienced.

31 5,280
 05-30-2015, 03:49 AM
User Info
I just grabbed a Dark Limes from SRD. Almost bought from Connaught's, which actually had a great price shipped to the U.S., but the bowls confused me. Connaught's was the only shop where I saw Meissner shipped in the wood bowls vs. The glass jars everywhere else. I wonder what the story is with that.

55 923
 05-30-2015, 03:59 AM
User Info
(05-30-2015, 03:49 AM)buickrob Wrote: I just grabbed a Dark Limes from SRD.  Almost bought from Connaught's, which actually had a great price shipped to the U.S., but the bowls confused me.  Connaught's was the only shop where I saw Meissner shipped in the wood bowls vs. The glass jars everywhere else.  I wonder what the story is with that.

I am guessing it's a weight issue? I imagine that a fairly high proportion of the business is International, and it's cheaper to ship in wooden bowls, rather than the heavier glass jars. I could be wrong, though.

31 5,280
 05-30-2015, 04:26 AM
User Info
(05-30-2015, 03:59 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(05-30-2015, 03:49 AM)buickrob Wrote: I just grabbed a Dark Limes from SRD.  Almost bought from Connaught's, which actually had a great price shipped to the U.S., but the bowls confused me.  Connaught's was the only shop where I saw Meissner shipped in the wood bowls vs. The glass jars everywhere else.  I wonder what the story is with that.

I am guessing it's a weight issue? I imagine that a fairly high proportion of the business is International, and it's cheaper to ship in wooden bowls, rather than the heavier glass jars. I could be wrong, though.

Good call, that could definitely be it.

55 923
 06-19-2015, 05:26 AM
User Info
I have it in the wooden bowl from Connaught's.  I happen to like the bowl but I haven't tried one in the glass jar.  I shaved with menthol yesterday and limes today.  I'm still loving the lather, shave and post shave feel.  This lather is a different consistency from others.  I really like it.

95 193
 06-19-2015, 06:03 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I agree with nachum. The lather is a thinner, slicker lather than tallow based soaps. It gives me a great shave also with excellent post-shave skin care. 

There are now many great soaps available.  Meissner is one of my best veggie soaps but I still enjoy my stable of tallow too!

159 1,316
 06-19-2015, 06:17 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I think Meißner might be a little like Mystic Water, in that it takes a while to get the lather figured out. With MW, I load a little longer than with other soaps, and have to work the lather a little more while slowly adding very small amounts of water while face lathering, but the results are outstanding. I find the same thing with Meißner, and I also am able to get an outstanding lather. I love several of the scents, including Dark Limes, Lavender De Luxe, and Exotic Elemi, and find Pink Grapefruit and Himalayan Heights pleasant but too mild. Meißner is not in my top five soaps, but it's probably in my top ten, and a soap that I'll continue to use and enjoy.

38 5,031
 06-19-2015, 07:55 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
(06-19-2015, 06:17 AM)evnpar Wrote:  Meißner is not in my top five soaps, but it's probably in my top ten, and a soap that I'll continue to use and enjoy.

By the way which are your top 5 soaps Richard?

0 1,045
 06-19-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
The scents sound nice. It does not seem like a must buy to me because it is a stearic acid/coconut oil soap. That seems to be the common denominator in most new soaps nowadays.

3 742
 06-19-2015, 11:02 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
You cannot learn to fly by reading a Superman comic. I keep telling my staff that each time they pick up a copy of The Economist. Same with ingredients lists. A friend of mine has a PhD in chemistry. He cannot predict how a shaving product will work based on an ingredient list. So, while other soaps might share the same ingredients, there is absolutely no way of telling how they will perform. YMMV. Actually, it may not.

Meißner Tremonia use the highest quality ingredients I have ever found in any shaving product. Hence the seemingly ambitious price. But you do get what you pay for. You also get what you pay for if you buy a soap half the price, or less. I know, because I have recently ploughed my way through 16 US artisan soaps, and they all fell miserably short (actually, Barrister & Mann was not too bad, but not any better than an industrial product from England at a fraction of the cost, and minus the absolutely horrendous scent). 

There are some outrageously misleading reviews of the Meißner Tremonia products out there on the net. It happens. There are some equally misleading reviews of products which, apparently, everyone here thinks perform like the proverbial brown stuff (easily identified by their three or five letter acronyms). I would not touch online reviews from unknown sources with a ten foot barge pole. Especially if they are about "artisan" products made by people who, mysteriously, found the Holy Grail of Soap Making within a few weeks. Three artisan products I know and like were years in the making, Meißner Tremonia being one of them. 

Yes, there are several other outstandingly good products out there. Not too many, really. But about a dozen or so. In my opinion, Meißner Tremonia are firmly in that camp. Whether or not you like the scents is a different matter entirely. Mint Ice Menthol and Dark Limes are conservative scents, and I would imagine that most people will like them. Strong & Scottish or Stone Pine & Cypress might be different. Thankfully, most vendors ship samples, and I can only encourage people to buy them first, then settle on a scent they actually like. 

Whoever claimed that Meißner Tremonia soaps (or pastes) were difficult to lather must have suffered one or more seizures before writing their "review", though. The products are extremely easy to lather. Frankly, I can think of very, very few soaps that lather more effortlessly. And I have had friends from all over the world test them, including some where certain other soaps - ones I thought were extremely easy to lather - failed miserably, and completely.

So there. You got yourself some quality controlled, hand made products. Enjoy them.

0 197
 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
if you want to know how a soap performs, ask a shaver, not a chemist. Anybody can read ingredients lists and gather experience.
This logic is none IMO. I have tried many soaps, more than a hundred and do find repetitive themes. Now there is a soap that is all different. Interesting...

Talk about misleading reviews
There are like three comprehensive reviews online that promote this soap; a few raves from new users, and many who failed and more people who say it is a good but not a great soap. So what to make of it? I do not care nor should anybody else. Anthony Esposito likes Meissner Tremonia, I give you that.

There are dozens of soaps that can be put to use with the right technique so it does not matter what you used, but how you did it.

I will not ever be buying any Meissner product because of the bad taste in marketing, and overkill hype that goes along with pricing it at a level that I find ridiculous .  European quality ingredients? Nothing expensive in a soap to be found anyway. Who wants it ( and I mean That) shall buy it.  Guess how annoying this Meissner attitude is. I wish them luck with their colored small pucks in apothecary boxes, but am taking pride in not owning their product

Sincerely

21 1,175
 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(06-19-2015, 11:25 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: if you want to know how a soap performs, ask a shaver, not a chemist. Anybody can read ingredients lists and gather experience.
This logic is none IMO. I have tried many soaps, more than a hundred and do find repetitive themes. Now there is a soap that is all different. Interesting...

There are like three comprehensive reviews online that promote this soap; a few raves from new users, and many who failed and more people who say it is a good but not a great soap. So what to make of it? I do not care nor should anybody else. Anthony Esposito likes Meissner Tremonia, I give you that.

There are dozens of soaps that can be put to use with the right technique so it does not matter what you used, but how you did it.

I will not ever be buying any Meissner product because of the bad taste in marketing, and overkill hype that goes along with pricing it at a level that I find ridiculous .  European quality ingredients? Nothing expensive in a soap to be found anyway. Who wants it ( and I mean That) shall buy it.  Guess how annoying this Meissner attitude is. I wish them luck with their colored small pucks in apothecary boxes, but am taking pride in not owning their product

Sincerely

I was a skeptic myself.  But I decided to try it for $25.  It was worth it, for me.  Maybe not for others.  For my modest investment, I discovered an excellent new soap that works for me.

As far as presentation I think Meissner does an outstanding job.  If you appreciate the finer things in life...you will appreciate their lovely lilac glass jars and their attention to detail.  They make a hard soap puck...which is rare in the artisan market.  And they make scents that you will most definitely not confuse with any other maker, except perhaps the lavender, which is omnipresent.  Lathering is easy...nothing to sweat about.

I am not recommending that everyone go out and get this soap.  I'm just recommending that people keep an open mind.  Don't be afraid to try it if you are curious.  I'm glad I did.

159 1,316
 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 12:11 PM)Steelman Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 11:25 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: if you want to know how a soap performs, ask a shaver, not a chemist. Anybody can read ingredients lists and gather experience.

Sincerely

I was a skeptic myself.  But I decided to try it for $25.  It was worth it, for me.  Maybe not for others.  For my modest investment, I discovered an excellent new soap that works for me.

As far as presentation I think Meissner does an outstanding job.  If you appreciate the finer things in life...you will appreciate their lovely lilac glass jars and their attention to detail.  They make a hard soap puck...which is rare in the artisan market.  And they make scents that you will most definitely not confuse with any other maker, except perhaps the lavender, which is omnipresent.  Lathering is easy...nothing to sweat about.

I am not recommending that everyone go out and get this soap.  I'm just recommending that people keep an open mind.  Don't be afraid to try it if you are curious.  I'm glad I did.

Better explained impossible   Cool

8 1,676
 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
Overall, I didn't enjoy the experience, including the effort required in my situation, to build a protective lather. Apparently that is because I have suffered from multiple seizures.

55 923
 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Deleted.

26 257
 06-19-2015, 05:25 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(06-19-2015, 01:23 PM)buickrob Wrote: Overall, I didn't enjoy the experience, including the effort required in my situation, to build a protective lather.  Apparently that is because I have suffered from multiple seizures.

This made me chuckle. 

I also loved Robin K's very..ahem..'direct'...reviews.

17 535
 06-19-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 01:23 PM)buickrob Wrote: Overall, I didn't enjoy the experience, including the effort required in my situation, to build a protective lather.  Apparently that is because I have suffered from multiple seizures.

Hehe, maybe you where using a $40 "plebeian synthetic" and not a $200+ badger brush.

18 713
 06-19-2015, 07:40 PM
User Info

Sincerely

That is exactly what I thought... Now from BeBerlin/Robink's posts I can see he is very anti-shilling, I wondered if this soap was a mere social experiment he was conducting just to show how shilling works, and then a year later he reveals himself to be the creator of this soap and he reveals how the soap is nothing but Chinese soap flakes  Laughing1

From the ingredients though I am pretty sure it will at least work. I've given up on artisan soaps, most of which are amateurish but in my experience I have always found coconut oil soaps (even "artisan" ones) to perform reliably and similarly, certainly not among the best though. 

Now in regards to hype, If you look around you will see that hype is really nearly always built around "artisan" soaps. How often do you see posts hyping the good old commercial soaps? Not since the wee days of wetshaving (around 2007-2009). Back then there wasn't a market for these "artisan" soaps. I have a strong feeling it really doesn't have anything to do with them beating the soaps of the past, because soaps such as Provence Sante, MWF, and Dr. Dittmar blow 99% of these "artisan" soaps on nearly every level--- performance, value, and refinement. In number of scents, artisan soaps win though. I have a feeling people also just like to support the little guy not realizing that even many of the commercial soaps are really quite small businesses-- only you know they hire actual chemists, have good quality control, and have better production processes.

18 713
 06-19-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 07:40 PM)fram773 Wrote: How often do you see posts hyping the good old commercial soaps? Not since the wee days of wetshaving (around 2007-2009). Back then there wasn't a market for these "artisan" soaps. I have a strong feeling it really doesn't have anything to do with them beating the soaps of the past, because soaps such as Provence Sante, MWF, and Dr. Dittmar blow 99% of these "artisan" soaps on nearly every level--- performance, value, and refinement. In number of scents, artisan soaps win though. I have a feeling people also just like to support the little guy not realizing that even many of the commercial soaps are really quite small businesses-- only you know they hire actual chemists, have good quality control, and better production processes.

It took me a few years to come around to this...but I am mainly a commercial soap user but still dabble in artisan.  

One reason I believe Artisan made soaps are more Talked about and hyped is, a lot of them are interacting with us.  They post along side us, communicate directly with us and it is more difficult to tell Mr or Mrs Artisan "your soap flat out sucks".  

I have never seen anyone avoid buying a mass produced soap because of something the company said, posted or how they do business....but many of us do avoid Artisan brands and soaps because of the actions by the makers on forums or social media.

8 2,718