05-05-2015, 03:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The horn handled Vie-Long beehive brushes just arrived. I hope to have them available for purchase later this evening. For now though, here is a preview picture.

[Image: emJ0xx0.jpg]

46 18,074
 05-05-2015, 03:21 PM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
Already have three Beehives, do I dare add a fourth?

101 1,984
 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Pour a glass of good Tremontillo with some bread and wine. Play concert for a gentleman by Aranuez. Ponder this with friends knowing the acquisition is morally justified and hindered only by the vulgarity of money.

2 3,171
 05-05-2015, 03:44 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Creative enabling, kav! Biggrin

102 18,552
 05-05-2015, 04:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have the wine, bread and cheese. I have the CD. I even have a authentic black basque beret. Alas, I don't have those damnable pieces of cloth with masonic symbols and dead men on them.

2 3,171
 05-05-2015, 04:11 PM
User Info
(05-05-2015, 03:37 PM)kav Wrote: Pour a glass of good Tremontillo with some bread and wine. Play concert for a gentleman by Aranuez. Ponder this with friends knowing the acquisition is morally justified and hindered only by the vulgarity of money.
My kind of relaxing

1 1,975
 05-05-2015, 05:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM
User Info
Is the Silvertip fibre denser than the muhle silvertip fibre large?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 14
 05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I think it is a bit more dense but I have not yet done a side by side comparison.

46 18,074
 05-09-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
I got mine Beehive in Silvertip today, and has been sent. Thank you Phil.

29 1,084
 05-14-2015, 09:30 PM
User Info
Received my Silver tip today. Looks really good.. Lathered like a champ.  Has quite a bit of funk (de-funking now)
I'll take a picture tomorrow.
Thanks Phil!

10 1,651
 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
A couple of pics of the Silver Tip. Wonderful brush, dense but not too...
[Image: 18781d575c65d4eb4593eae3ece18192.jpg][Image: 2452860f779f04cd1d498cb8fd43697c.jpg]

10 1,651
 05-16-2015, 09:13 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice!

102 18,552
 06-14-2015, 08:45 PM
User Info
Anyone been using a Beehive Silvertip? I'm wondering how it compares to the previous release.

10 1,651
 06-27-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
I just used my beehive silver tip badger this morning (it's in my SOTD), and I want to say what a great brush it has become. At first I had to wait for the moth balls aroma to fade away, but more importantly this brush has become more compliant and softer with every shave.  Today's shave was outstanding. The knot is very dense so it feels great on the face, but has very, very good flow through. The brush easily whips up the lather and then just as generously releases it during lathering (face lathered). 

This has quickly become one of my favorite brushes, definitely my favorite 3 band at this point.

Thanks Phil for making this brush available.

10 1,651
 06-27-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
I may have to try the Silvertip Fiber. The knot size seems like it may be favorable to what I like. I didn't care for the lack of splay on the 23mm Muhle STF and I do like the XL 25mm but it requires a full load and it has a lot of backbone. I am interested to see how the loft works for this brush.

Can anyone comment on the silver tip badger and how soft the tips are? This is another brush I may try but have never tried any Vie Long badgers but here magnificent things about the knots like the post above mine.

79 1,296
 06-27-2015, 12:03 PM
User Info
Mine is silver tip badger, and the tips are nice and soft now.

10 1,651
 06-27-2015, 12:24 PM
User Info
(06-27-2015, 11:13 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I may have to try the Silvertip Fiber. The knot size seems like it may be favorable to what I like. I didn't care for the lack of splay on the 23mm Muhle STF and I do like the XL 25mm but it requires a full load and it has a lot of backbone. I am interested to see how the loft works for this brush.

Can anyone comment on the silver tip badger and how soft the tips are? This is another brush I may try but have never tried any Vie Long badgers but here magnificent things about the knots like the post above mine.
I have both the Muhle 23mm and Vie Long. I don't have any issues splaying my Muhle. I find it a very good brush overall. I just received the Vie Long and have 2 shaves with it. It is much more dense than the Muhle. It splays nicely but it requires much more pressure vs the Muhle. If you do not keep the pressure it will spring back. There is a learning curve for sure. I like it though. Nice heft to the handle. I think it would also be a good bowl latherer, which is what is mentioned in the Bullgoose description. Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to know.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

5 14
 06-27-2015, 06:57 PM
User Info
(06-27-2015, 12:24 PM)AirTimid Wrote:
(06-27-2015, 11:13 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I may have to try the Silvertip Fiber. The knot size seems like it may be favorable to what I like. I didn't care for the lack of splay on the 23mm Muhle STF and I do like the XL 25mm but it requires a full load and it has a lot of backbone. I am interested to see how the loft works for this brush.

I have both the Muhle 23mm and Vie Long. I don't have any issues splaying my Muhle. I find it a very good brush overall. I just received the Vie Long and have 2 shaves with it. It is much more dense than the Muhle. It splays nicely but it requires much more pressure vs the Muhle. If you do not keep the pressure it will spring back. There is a learning curve for sure. I like it though. Nice heft to the handle. I think it would also be a good bowl latherer, which is what is mentioned in the Bullgoose description. Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to know.

Thank you for the detailed response Airtimid. If you face lather with the Vie Long when you get a chance to use it, let me know how much pressure do you find you are putting on the face with the backbone? The 23mm density is fine for me but the splay only works well if the brush is held at an angle or if you press the brush all the way down to the bottom of the knot. That was the only way I could get it to work.

79 1,296
 06-30-2015, 05:06 PM
User Info
(06-27-2015, 06:57 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(06-27-2015, 12:24 PM)AirTimid Wrote:

Thank you for the detailed response Airtimid. If you face lather with the Vie Long when you get a chance to use it, let me know how much pressure do you find you are putting on the face with the backbone? The 23mm density is fine for me but the splay only works well if the brush is held at an angle or if you press the brush all the way down to the bottom of the knot. That was the only way I could get it to work.

So, I did a couple of face lathers tonight with the Muhle and the Vie-Long. Both brushes got a 10 sec load with the same soap. The Muhle went first, soft tips and good splay. I did notice you needed to push the brush further into the face to get it to splay properly. Next was the Vie Long. This would be the 4th face lather with the brush. I have noticed the fibres may have loosened up a little because the brush doesn't feel as firm as when I first wrote my reply. The tips are soft, but there is more backbone because of the increased density. The brush may need a little more pressure to splay, but you do not need to push it as far into your face as the Muhle. Both brushes require a little bit of "angle" to get the splay started. I also noticed having a little more water vs less makes splaying easier. Overall, I like both brushes, but if I were to keep one, it would probably be the Vie Long. I think it will only get better as the knot loosens up more. I hope this info helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 14