05-05-2015, 09:20 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
So I received this Chinese Boar brush as a gag gift from a really close friend who was sent on an assignment to China for a few years. He said the brush costs a wallet blistering 1 RMB, which at the current exchange rate equals 16 cents (USD)!! This being the joke of a gift he swore that the brush really works and performs pretty well and to give it a decent chance against my collection luxury brushes. I was a little skeptical about using this tiny brush, but I figure I'd entertain him for the heck of it. What I found was that this brush whips up lather incredibly fast and with almost no effort, it isn't a densely filled knot, so you can't press too hard hard and must relying on the tips to do their work. There's a mix of scrub and scritch but neither has a strong enough presence to distract you when your using just the tips. The flow through is very minimal as it just picks up the lather off the shave bowl so you can directly apply onto your face and from there you just swirl the brush around with the tips to spread the lather. You can work it in a little but you soon feel the hardness of the glue bump against the your skin. As for backbone, its primarily from a shortened loft  the immense glue bump takes up within the knot. The glue bump raises off the base of the knot 12mm taking away from the total loft of 42mm, with only 30mm of bristle for you to use the style of using the brush changes drastically as you will suddenly find yourself out of bristle and rubbing a blue bump into your face. 

I can see how this works in a simpler time and I have to say its not as intolerable as the really scritchiest of brushes I've experience (Tweezerman or AOS trial brush), it does lather soap very well and it serves as sort of a scoop to bring the lather from the shave bowl or off the hard soap itself and there is small brush to allow you to spread and minimally work the lather into your face. 

I couldn't get it to face lather, so I didn't bother experimenting as it may hurt  Angel  
My friend said he's using it as a travel brush as he can toss it at the end of his trip since he has easy access to replace them.

Loft: 42mm
Knot: 15.5mm
Handle: 41mm
total height: 83mm

(glue bump is 12mm high from base of knot, so that leaves about 30mm of bristle)

[Image: C1IZ8IX.jpg][Image: JD7WQ9R.jpg][Image: K2axr5c.jpg]

36 1,336
 05-06-2015, 07:57 AM
User Info
Looks fine and practical!

83 21,113
 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Ha very nice!

102 18,669
 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
Looks like pure Gold  Biggrin

-
Seriously though, I could enjoy that brush. Thank you for sharing!

21 1,175
 05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
Is anyone heading to china soon? A stash of those could be a fun change when I am on the Go  Tongue

Second picture - never seen a brush look that tangled. Kinda cool actually.

3 4,675
 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
yea its crazy I've never seen one like that too, I only used it a few times but the hair seems to want to dry all over the place, I put a loose rubber band on it to try to keep it upright but the hairs curl every which way! I don't even know where he got the brush.. I assume its at any local store that sells grooming. But at 1 RMB you can essentially buy a case, right!?!  (and the handle is like an unfinished wood as you can see the handle wet, its absorbed the water, but dries equally as fast)

36 1,336
 06-20-2015, 11:23 PM
User Info
A true rustic 😀

0 17