05-06-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
The wife and I took our honeymoon to Paris and London. Four days in each city, got back last Sunday. First, it's the first time I've done wet shaving on the road. Normally I just use a small travel can of gel and a disposable. But it's time to put on the big boy pants, so I went full DE all the way.

My everyday razor is an ATT R1. My EJ DE89 to travel use, kept in the ATT leather travel case (a real beauty). I cut a chunk off the Cella block and kept it in a small tupperware. I received a Wee Scot for my birthday and fashioned a case out of a pill bottle. Last, I poured some Pinaud Clubman into a small bottle and I was ready to roll. I only shaved a few times, but the setup worked very well. The EJ has never been so smooth and easy to use and the Wee Scot does a helluva job face lathering.

Being in Paris, I had to track down some local product if time allowed. My wife indulged me and, with only a minor degree of difficulty, we managed to locate Planete Rasoir. Holy cow, what a selection of razors, soap, brushes (Plisson mainly)! I knew I'd be getting a jar of Martin de Candre--whichever my wife preferred--and suspected I'd be picking up a tin of the Ass Soap too. Well, the wife and I both preferred the fougere so in the bag it went. The sales lady in her limited English strongly suggested the Ass Milk, so I conceded and bought some of that as well. (Price-wise, buying direct would be more economical.) The funny thing is, the only other person in there was a nice German gentleman (and wife) who also bought the MdC and Ass Milk. He was on a quest to find some Le Pere Lucien shaving soap. I had never heard of it but apparently he'd been to 5 places looking for it. I hope he found it. I haven't used either soap yet but man to they smell fantastic.

On to London. There were no products in London I'm aware of that aren't available locally, so I was less excited about this part of our trip. But St. James Street is very close to the changing of the guard so we walked by. Truefitt & Hill makes some nice cream--I have a tube of the 1805--but I rarely use cream unless I'm "supercharging" my brush in conjunction with soap. They had a great retail selection and a very attentive staff. What I really wanted was a straight razor shave. Alas, the chair was full so on we went to Taylor of Old Bond Street. (On the way we passed James J. Fox Cigar Merchant, reportedly Churchill's main cigar store. It was a low value purchase, but I picked up a Montecristo Churchill and had a seat in the old man's chair.)

TOBS will always hold a place in my heart because their Sandalwood cream was the first wet shaving product I bought. But, as I said, I've moved to soaps, so I'm not really sure why we even went into TOBS. Oh yeah, the straight razor shave. There was a chair open so in I went, leaving my poor wife to find a place to stand in the cramped store for the next half hour. Scalding towel, oil, nice thorough lather, two pass shave, another too-hot towel, balm and a trim of the sideburns & nose hair and I was ready to go. One step in the process that I really wasn't expecting was the extraction of about a dozen ingrown hairs. Painful process that, but it's since made for a smoother shave. He's show me how long the hairs were too--about 1/8th of an inch. Ewww!

Anyway, that's the meat of it. Hats off to my kind wife for indulging this silly hobby of ours.

[img][/img]

9 329
 05-06-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
If you don't mind me asking what was the retail price of each of the soaps?

80 947
 05-06-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
I don't recall and I didn't keep an itemized receipt, but together they were 95 Euro.  If I recall the MdC was around 57 Euro, but I could be wrong.

9 329
 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
Sounds like both of you had a great trip! 

82 21,056
 05-08-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
I found the London shops to be a great experience! All you could possibly  want in shaving supplies. Paris and other European cities - not so much!

8 72
 05-08-2015, 08:15 AM
User Info
Spotting a soap combo like that in the wild must be astounding!  Clap

21 1,175
 05-08-2015, 08:17 AM
User Info
(05-08-2015, 06:48 AM)rossnme Wrote: I found the London shops to be a great experience! All you could possibly  want in shaving supplies. Paris and other European cities - not so much!

When I went to London, I went into a store to buy a hat and attached to the hat store was the biggest store I have ever seen with every type of razor dating back hundreds of years.  I wasn't into wet shaving, using cartridges and edge but if I ever get back to London, I will walk the streets in search of that store now that I am hooked.  By the way, if you think getting a shave in London takes time, go into a hat store.  Over 2 hours of blocking, measuring etc..

6 161
 05-08-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
(05-08-2015, 06:48 AM)rossnme Wrote: I found the London shops to be a great experience! All you could possibly  want in shaving supplies. Paris and other European cities - not so much!
Planete Rasoir in Paris had everything you need from soup to nuts concerning wet shaving.  And the store was about 3 or 4 times the size of either TOBS or T&H.  It did feel more like a retail store whereas the Londoners make it feel more like a high end experience.  I didn't go in, but I understand Le BHV Marais has a nice men's grooming department too.
(05-08-2015, 08:15 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Spotting a soap combo like that in the wild must be astounding!  Clap
Indeed, but not spotted--stalked.  Planete Rasoir was #3 on my list of places to visit in Paris (having been there before).

9 329
 05-08-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
(05-08-2015, 08:17 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:

When I went to London, I went into a store to buy a hat and attached to the hat store was the biggest store I have ever seen with every type of razor dating back hundreds of years.  I wasn't into wet shaving, using cartridges and edge but if I ever get back to London, I will walk the streets in search of that store now that I am hooked.  By the way, if you think getting a shave in London takes time, go into a hat store.  Over 2 hours of blocking, measuring etc..

You may have been on Jermyn Street.  That's where the TOBS store is.  It's just one high end store selling men's clothing, shoes, hats, etc.  We were two blocks into our walk and I turned to my wife and said, "If we ever win the lottery we're coming to London with no luggage and coming straight here."  Really nice stuff.

9 329
 05-08-2015, 12:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-06-2015, 10:51 AM)repete66219 Wrote: The wife and I took our honeymoon to Paris and London. Four days in each city, got back last Sunday. First, it's the first time I've done wet shaving on the road. Normally I just use a small travel can of gel and a disposable. But it's time to put on the big boy pants, so I went full DE all the way.

My everyday razor is an ATT R1. My EJ DE89 to travel use, kept in the ATT leather travel case (a real beauty). I cut a chunk off the Cella block and kept it in a small tupperware. I received a Wee Scot for my birthday and fashioned a case out of a pill bottle. Last, I poured some Pinaud Clubman into a small bottle and I was ready to roll. I only shaved a few times, but the setup worked very well. The EJ has never been so smooth and easy to use and the Wee Scot does a helluva job face lathering.

Being in Paris, I had to track down some local product if time allowed. My wife indulged me and, with only a minor degree of difficulty, we managed to locate Planete Rasoir. Holy cow, what a selection of razors, soap, brushes (Plisson mainly)! I knew I'd be getting a jar of Martin de Candre--whichever my wife preferred--and suspected I'd be picking up a tin of the Ass Soap too. Well, the wife and I both preferred the fougere so in the bag it went. The sales lady in her limited English strongly suggested the Ass Milk, so I conceded and bought some of that as well. (Price-wise, buying direct would be more economical.) The funny thing is, the only other person in there was a nice German gentleman (and wife) who also bought the MdC and Ass Milk. He was on a quest to find some Le Pere Lucien shaving soap. I had never heard of it but apparently he'd been to 5 places looking for it. I hope he found it. I haven't used either soap yet but man to they smell fantastic.

On to London. There were no products in London I'm aware of that aren't available locally, so I was less excited about this part of our trip. But St. James Street is very close to the changing of the guard so we walked by. Truefitt & Hill makes some nice cream--I have a tube of the 1805--but I rarely use cream unless I'm "supercharging" my brush in conjunction with soap. They had a great retail selection and a very attentive staff. What I really wanted was a straight razor shave. Alas, the chair was full so on we went to Taylor of Old Bond Street. (On the way we passed James J. Fox Cigar Merchant, reportedly Churchill's main cigar store. It was a low value purchase, but I picked up a Montecristo Churchill and had a seat in the old man's chair.)

TOBS will always hold a place in my heart because their Sandalwood cream was the first wet shaving product I bought. But, as I said, I've moved to soaps, so I'm not really sure why we even went into TOBS. Oh yeah, the straight razor shave. There was a chair open so in I went, leaving my poor wife to find a place to stand in the cramped store for the next half hour. Scalding towel, oil, nice thorough lather, two pass shave, another too-hot towel, balm and a trim of the sideburns & nose hair and I was ready to go. One step in the process that I really wasn't expecting was the extraction of about a dozen ingrown hairs. Painful process that, but it's since made for a smoother shave. He's show me how long the hairs were too--about 1/8th of an inch. Ewww!

Anyway, that's the meat of it. Hats off to my kind wife for indulging this silly hobby of ours.

Sounds like a great vacation. Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy marriage! My best advice after 30 years with the same girl is to try to be a good listener, and remember she's right 99.99% of the time. Save your occasional disagreement/veto for only the really important things. It's great that she's humoring your obsession. You're a lucky man! Enjoy =)

4 1,922
 05-08-2015, 01:42 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Sounds like an awesome honeymoon. Congratulations to you and the new missus.

72 1,224
 05-08-2015, 01:46 PM
User Info
Excellent post. Glad you had a good time.

K

3 963