06-13-2012, 03:56 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Gentlemen, here's my review of the Tweex stick, a HELL of a nice Turkish shaving soap.

Ease of lather: 10/10--A wet brush makes the lather explode. So easy.

Longevity of lather: 10/10--So stable. A pleasure to work with.

General skincare: 8/10--Quite good. Moisturizes well.

Scent: 9/10--Real nice. Very close to the Arko soap, but a little stronger.

Price: N/A--I don't have a clue. It was a gift.

Would I buy again: 10/10--100% yes. It's a great soap.

This soap freaked me out this morning when I used it for the first time. The scent is so similar to Arko soap, although my wife says it's very different. The lather is a pleasure to work with, and it's very long-lasting. I wonder if Turkish barbers use this stuff also? They should, because it's a fabulous soap.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,562
 06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I haven't found Arko to be very moisturizing, so that's an interesting comparison.

10 1,858
 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
User Info
I got excited till I read this:

"Scent: 9/10--Real nice. Very close to the Arko soap, but a little stronger."

To Me Arko smells like industrial strength urinal cake, but I know there are many that love Arko.

It's not a bad thing, one less thing to add to my to buy list.
Sounds like you like it a lot which is all that really matters!!

2 59
 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 06:46 PM)superbleu Wrote: *snip*
To Me Arko smells like industrial strength urinal cake, but I know there are many that love Arko.
Laughing1
that reminds me of what an old work mate once told me about cabernet wine... it reminded him of cat urine!

of course I had to ask... so ummm why did you ever taste THAT?

Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
I like ARKO for what it is, and I don't mind the scent of citronella. Having written that... I wonder if the company that makes it is the same that makes ARKO? I found nothing for label info when I followed the website info.

I don't know that I'd want the citronella scent stronger unless it was deliberately mixed with DEET. I suppose I could do that myself though. Please let us know if the scent diminishes as it ages. I suppose I could splash on some 100% DEET as an after shave for the days I have forest work planned.

I'm not joking, I try to use Williams or ARKO on those days. Nothing blackflies or mosquitos will like, for sure.

32 6,309
 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
You may also want to try out Derby shaving soap, JAYDEE. Some people claim it to be better than ARKO.

0 214
 06-14-2012, 04:37 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(06-13-2012, 09:21 PM)Pnume Wrote: You may also want to try out Derby shaving soap, JAYDEE. Some people claim it to be better than ARKO.

Yes, in the near future I am planning to. Smile I don't know how much better than Arko it can be, but I was told it is very good.

(06-13-2012, 06:46 PM)superbleu Wrote: I got excited till I read this:

"Scent: 9/10--Real nice. Very close to the Arko soap, but a little stronger."

It's not a bad thing, one less thing to add to my to buy list.
Sounds like you like it a lot which is all that really matters!!

Oh gosh, I love this Tweex soap. I think it's terrific.

3 2,562
 06-15-2012, 05:05 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
GZD is another Turkish soap I've been reading good reviews of, and will probably pick up when/if I finish one of my other soaps. Smile

10 1,858
 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(06-15-2012, 05:05 AM)Songwind Wrote: GZD is another Turkish soap I've been reading good reviews of, and will probably pick up when/if I finish one of my other soaps. Smile

I heard very good reports about the GZD soap also. It's supposed to be as good as Arko.

3 2,562