05-06-2015, 01:05 PM
User Info
Hi guys, in my search for the perfect shave I am now searching for a new blade. I have a thick beard and a sensitive neck,I prefer sharper blades but I'm looking for smooth as well. My most used blade is a feather and I do like them,however I am looking for something a little bit smoother. The razors I use most are a slant (39c),2013 r41, and I just got a futur but that's another thread.I'll list the blades I've tried and what I thought about them so maybe you guys get a feel for what I like or might enjoy.

Derby-hate them,dull pulls tugs last use the blade bogged down in my neck slicing it open

Personna lab-I like the personnas sharpness they are a little smoother than feathers to me but gave me some razor burn.

Crystals-love these blades would be my go to blade if they were a bit sharper

Voskhods-felt like the blade was dragging on my face left with a shave that wasn't close and had some razor burn.

Astra SP-pretty good blades for me ,like the smoothness put they tug on my chin

Israeli personna in the white box, just got these and I don't have enough expierence with them to get a good verdict.

I just ordered some permasharps, blue gillettes,med preps and the polsilver super iridium. I'm willing to try anything as long as it's sharper than a derby. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

3 1,356
 05-06-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info
Here is my take on a number of blades in no particular order - perhaps it can be of some help guiding your choice:
  • Racer Super Stainless: A middle to good blade, depending on the razor. Works better in my Parker 22R TTO and in my Racer razor than in my Merkur 39C Slant, no tugging but not the smoothest blades out there.
  • Shark Super Chrome: A middle of the road blade in my 22R and 39C - but gives a very good shave in my Merkur 985CL open comb travel razor. Also works well in the cheap YUMA razor.
  • BiC Chrome Platinum: Okayish for the first shave, horrible on the second go. Firmly off my list.
  • Gillette Goal Stainless: Works rather well in my 22R and 39C - four shaves and still smooth.
  • Lord Platinum: Works very well in my 39C, my 985CL and my 22R.
  • Feather Hi Stainless: A wicked sharp blade that performs well in any razor, but is best tamed by a mild razor like the Feather Popular or the '58 TV Special.
  • Willikins Sword: Shaves well in any razor, especially so in my 39C slant.
  • Treet Platinum Super Stainless: A Pakistani made blade that works well in my 25C open comb and my 958CL. Well worth looking into.
  • Astra Superior Platinum: A blade with a well deserved reputation, smooth and sharp and suited for every razor I've tried it in.
  • Zorrik Super Stainless: A pretty decent blade, works fine in my Yuma and 985CL.
  • Laser Super Platinum: Middle to bad blade - sharp enough, but not very smooth. A decent choice if no better blade is available.
  • Derby Extra: A good, but not spectacular, blade. A decent choice if no better blade is available.
  • Perma-Sharp Super: Sharp, but not smooth. Not a blade I'll buy again.
  • Rapira Super Stainless: Not the smoothest, but gives a DFS in my 39C and 22R
  • Gillette Yellow 7 O'Clock: Not the smoothest, but more than good enough in my '58 TV Special - not a blade for the Bakelite Slant though
  • Flying Eagle: Trading a bit of smoothness for the ability to stay sharp for a long time - works better in a mild razor though
  • Laser Super Stainless w/chromium coated edges: Pretty decent blade, four shaves with no trouble - one to consider, 
  • ASCO Super Stainless: Not the smoothest or sharpest, but a decent performer with little to no change from first to last shave.
  • Zaza Super / Supreme Stainless Steel: Not the smoothest in the world, not the sharpest either - but a very nice blend of smoothness, sharpness and longevity. A solid, if uninspired, contender for a fall-back blade
Just remember that YMMV, and some blades behaves very differently if you put them in a different razor.

3 4,666
 05-06-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
Thanks for the input ,and I agree with the YMMV,as well as the different blades for different razors, gonna do a little reading on some of the blades you mentioned

3 1,356
 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM
User Info
From what I have tried and what you are looking for, I think you will like the PolSilver SI.

You can also try Gillette Silver Blues. And of course Kai - which for me are as sharp as Feathers but really smooth. Very expensive though...

7 927
 05-06-2015, 03:58 PM
User Info
I have the same beard and skin type. I really like the Gillette 7 o'clock blacks and Gillette silver blues. 

1 15
 05-06-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
Gillette 7'Oclock Super Platinum (black), they feel pretty close to Crystals. Not as sharp as Feathers but more forgiving.

4 355
 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM
User Info
(05-06-2015, 03:58 PM)Valley2410 Wrote: I have the same beard and skin type. I really like the Gillette 7 o'clock blacks and Gillette silver blues. 

+1 on both. They're some of my best. I do have other blades I've yet to try though.

0 1,097
 05-06-2015, 06:00 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
One more vote for Gillette 7'o'clock blacks

17 535
 05-07-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
* original Super Iridiums are my favourite.
* Gillette Silver Blues
* Polsilver Iridiums

83 21,109
 05-07-2015, 11:52 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Kai. Like feathers but much smoother. .38cents a blade if you buy 100.  Great blades. Second I would suggest Super Iridiums. 

42 1,041
 05-07-2015, 12:58 PM
User Info
I ordered 50 polsilver super iridiums,price was right and they seem to be in most people top picks,and if they don't agree with me meh,I'll come back to them later. I have some blue gillettes coming as well but think I'll grab a 5 pack of every color gillette just to see. I tried voskhod again last night,3rd blade 3rd shave and once again had to take the blade out and replace with a feather when I got through one cheek. Very bad pulling and tugging.

I really like personna labs, I just wish they were smoother. For a couple of years I have been all about sharpness, so feathers have been what I mainly use,however I am 100%confident I can find a blade that is just as sharp or close to a feather without the scraping feeling. 

found a nice write up last night where a guy tested all kinds of blades and he put supermax blades at the top of his list so I may give those a try too. Yea I may be kind of overdoing it on blades ,but my wife uses a DE as well and she doesn't care what blade she has so they aren't going to waste,and I'm still saving money vs. carts

question for those that know, I hear voskhods and the blue gillettes being compared all the time and many people say they feel pretty much the same any truth to this? 

3 1,356
 05-07-2015, 06:07 PM
User Info
(05-07-2015, 11:52 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Kai. Like feathers but much smoother. .38cents a blade if you buy 100.  Great blades. Second I would suggest Super Iridiums. 

+1 Kai & Polsilver

6 75
 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
I got a really good shave from the israeli personna blades,the ones in a plain white box no markings on the blade. I thought these to be more less like a derby,tried one for the heck of it and I was impressed finally. Not the sharpest but it's smooth as ever. Alum block was happy with the shave ,so am I. Just got some med preps and polsilvers in and I'm really excited to try the polsilvers. Should be at least I bought 50 of them before trying on good faith.

3 1,356
 05-09-2015, 05:25 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Otis-my Merkur slant took blades I could not use in any of my traditional razors-go figure. GSB, SI's are good in the slant. And definitely off the beaten path, I find vintage Gillette Spoilers, as Schick and Wilkinson blades are fantastic

19 753
 05-09-2015, 05:40 PM
User Info
I  own the 37C the Gillette Silver Blue perform very very well for me. I have pretty coarse stubble also.They are usually good for 4-5 shaves.

49 356
 05-29-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
med prep, nacet, GSB!

53 760
 05-29-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
(05-07-2015, 10:28 AM)celestino Wrote: * original Super Iridiums are my favourite.
* Gillette Silver Blues
* Polsilver Iridiums

+1

7 787
 05-29-2015, 07:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-07-2015, 12:58 PM)Otis375 Wrote: For a couple of years I have been all about sharpness, so feathers have been what I mainly use,however I am 100%confident I can find a blade that is just as sharp or close to a feather without the scraping feeling. 

found a nice write up last night where a guy tested all kinds of blades and he put supermax blades at the top of his list so I may give those a try too.

I have mentioned (in response to you in another thread) that the KAI blades are very sharp, perhaps as sharp as a Feather, but, in contrast to the reputation of the Feather,  very smooth and forgiving.

When I purchased an iKon Stainless Slant DLC head direct from iKon, Greg Kahn threw in a tuck of SuperMax Platinum blades as a lagniappe.  As I am a cheap guy, I could not let go of the Supermax blades without trying them.  My evaluation:  out of the box, and for the first two shaves, the Supermax Platinums  held their own compared with my Gillette Super Blue and (original) Iridium Super blades  But where I regularly get six good shaves from a GSB or Iridium Super, I get four -- on one Supermax blade, a pushing-it five -- shaves from a Superamx Platinum.  Better than expected initially, the Supermax blades fade very rapidly for me.

1 1,109