06-13-2012, 06:13 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
When I was growing up down South meats of all kinds were ALWAYS cooked until well done (translation: cremated). I hated steak until I was a teenager because of this.

Once I got out on my own I was on lunch break on day and ordered a steak well done (was out with friends and they wanted to go to a steakhouse) but it came back medium. Pressed for time I ate it and discovered it was really good. I started backing off on the cooking time and I found that I absolutely loved steak if it was rare and I mean rare. These days I tell the waitress to bring it through a warm room and serve it to me.

I asked a doctor once if I could get sick from eating steaks this way. He replied that I could, but as long as I stuck to government inspected steaks I had a better chance of being struck by lightning. This was about 35 years ago so there's no telling what doctors would say today.

At any rate, are there any more rare steak lovers out there?

How does every like their steaks prepared?

0 396
 06-13-2012, 06:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Medium to medium rare does it for me. All depends on the cut of meat.

173 23,533
 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
heh, never rare...

the closest cut I will do with blood, are *fillet mig-nons* and *prime-rib*(the oven slow roasted, ahhhh)

I did my first Christmas Prime Rib the past year... I had to find a butcher shop... that actually carried PRIME...
It counted as my Christmas gift (about $130 total - for a 3-bone cut, and accessories) ahhhh it turned out great! we were sooooo stuffed (only 2 adults and 2 kids in my family, so a 3-bone Prime was *PLENTY*)

most steak- pink, with just a hint of blood in the coolest/center part of the meat (Medium)

mmmmmm

9 1,684
 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
Over time I have gone from rare to medium rare.

29 1,731
 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I like my steak medium regardless of cut. Growing up my parents cooked steak until there was nothing left of it.

100 12,442
 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 06:45 PM)slantman Wrote: I like my steak medium regardless of cut. Growing up my parents cooked steak until there was nothing left of it.

Exactly! I could have half soled my shoes with some of the "steaks" I was served in those days!

0 396
 06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
Dave, I cook what I call "caveman steak" for myself. On the Primo forum it has developed a very small following, but frankly most of the following did it long before joining the forum and just grabbed the name. I doubt I was the first to use the name, but maybe. Makes no difference anyway.

It requires a very hot fire (it can be done on a very expensive high output gasser, but not an ordinary one), and the meat needs to be as close to the fire as possible. In the Primo we do this with an absolutely full firebox and the grate in the legs up position, lump charcoal of course, not briquets. That puts the extremely hot fire just an inch or less below the cooking grate. Or one could lay the steak directly on the fire, but that's actually another technique, same basic idea though. Then a frozen steak is taken out , unwrapped and thrown on the grill. Smoke is optional, but I like cherry chunks or apple. The Primo smokes like Vesuvius out of the chimney, and the outside of the steak develops a nice char and grill marks. After the second side is also charred the center of the steak is about 90-120° F just blood warm or slightly more in other words. Of course you need to gauge the doneness by feel or with an instant read thermometer and not go by sight.

It requires a steak at least 1" thick and thicker, up to 1 1/2" is better. A good cut too. A ribeye is great (my favorite) 2 weeks ago I did Prime Fillet for the wife using this technique on a fresh, not frozen steak, and just butter to help it grab some smoke flavor. Delicious! BTW, I cook the wifes steak a few minutes longer, holding it to the side for the heat to soak in longer.

FWIW, my wife named it caveman steak when she saw me cooking one in the mid 70s when we were dating. Couldn't believe I liked seared raw meat, essentially. Back then I did it on cast iron.

BTW, inspected meat is a joke. There is essentially no inspection of "inspected" meat. I trust the local farmers far more than the nonexistent "gov't inspectors".

32 6,309
 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
Medium rare to Medium-well. I love steak fajitas with nothing but salsa and spicy marinated skirt steak grilled over charcoal grill!

0 128
 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 07:17 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Dave, I cook what I call "caveman steak" for myself. On the Primo forum it has developed a very small following, but frankly most of the following did it long before joining the forum and just grabbed the name. I doubt I was the first to use the name, but maybe. Makes no difference anyway.

It requires a very hot fire (it can be done on a very expensive high output gasser, but not an ordinary one), and the meat needs to be as close to the fire as possible. In the Primo we do this with an absolutely full firebox and the grate in the legs up position, lump charcoal of course, not briquets. That puts the extremely hot fire just an inch or less below the cooking grate. Or one could lay the steak directly on the fire, but that's actually another technique, same basic idea though. Then a frozen steak is taken out , unwrapped and thrown on the grill. Smoke is optional, but I like cherry chunks or apple. The Primo smokes like Vesuvius out of the chimney, and the outside of the steak develops a nice char and grill marks. After the second side is also charred the center of the steak is about 90-120° F just blood warm or slightly more in other words. Of course you need to gauge the doneness by feel or with an instant read thermometer and not go by sight.

It requires a steak at least 1" thick and thicker, up to 1 1/2" is better. A good cut too. A ribeye is great (my favorite) 2 weeks ago I did Prime Fillet for the wife using this technique on a fresh, not frozen steak, and just butter to help it grab some smoke flavor. Delicious! BTW, I cook the wifes steak a few minutes longer, holding it to the side for the heat to soak in longer.

FWIW, my wife named it caveman steak when she saw me cooking one in the mid 70s when we were dating. Couldn't believe I liked seared raw meat, essentially. Back then I did it on cast iron.

BTW, inspected meat is a joke. There is essentially no inspection of "inspected" meat. I trust the local farmers far more than the nonexistent "gov't inspectors".

Thanks for this post. I'm going to try that!

That's actually how I like my steaks. I want them singed on each side, just enough to change the colour a bit and that's all. Cold inside is nice but I'll settle for barely warm.

I have actually eaten them completely raw and I like them that way too but I don't do this if others are around because it grosses them out.

I know what you're saying about the govt inspectors too. If I knew a local cattleman I'd get my steaks from him.

Ribeye is my favourite affordable steak. Filet is my favourite in general. I love prime rib too but most of the time it has been cooked a little more than I like.

0 396
 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
This thread made me hungry.

When I was younger- medium

Medium rare nowadays

14 211
 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Medium rare every time. Nothing is better than cutting through some dark exterior to a nice, red, juicy interior. Also, forget the fancy seasonings, jut some salt and pepper and I'm happy.

35 1,732
 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
medium works for me. A little cracked pepper and some salt, and the juices it's cooked in is all the flavoring I need. although, I will say, I do like sauteed mushrooms and this parmesan crust a local steakhouse offers for their steaks.

40 5,830
 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
here's that Prime Rib I did this past Christmas

I used butter with garlic-herb mixed in

rubbed it all over by hand, kosher coarse salt over the butter-coating, sat out for 4 hours before it went in the oven

mmmmm Babeando

9 1,684
 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 08:10 PM)gijames Wrote: here's that Prime Rib I did this past Christmas

I used butter with garlic-herb mixed in

rubbed it all over by hand, kosher coarse salt over the butter-coating, sat out for 4 hours before it went in the oven

mmmmm Babeando

Man, that looks good! I'll bet it was too!

0 396
 06-14-2012, 01:44 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
When I was younger everything was well done, but now medium. This thread has made me hungry too!

19 414
 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM
User Info
If I'm at an ordinary restaurant I order my steak rare. If I'm at a good steakhouse, or at home, allways blue. No spices, no salt no pepper just a little soy sauce, I prefer the taste of the meat and not spices.

0 59
 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM
User Info
UncleDave,

Get to know your local good butcher. That prime filet we bought, which really was prime, our butcher ran a special for something like 1/2 price (they were still pricey) and he would have cut it to my specs. But the reason I say develop a relationship with him... he told us that when he runs a special and we want a certain quantity to call him and he'll put it away for us. What he does periodically is to order a case of something and make little $ on it, and when it's gone, it's gone. The regular customers are notified by e-mail, for everyone else it's a surprise if they see the sign at the meatcase; if there's any left when they show up.

In the past I was able to order meats by the case myself, but that has dried up. It was a lot of $ all at once, but it was nice to have 80# of ribeyes sitting in the freezer. Basically for the price of good retail chopped meat. It was Canadian beef- good stuff!

32 6,309
 06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
In my younger (read "stupid") days it had to be very well done (cremated), but as time has gone by and my taste buds have developed to appreciate the flavour of real food so has my appreciation of eating good, flavourful steak, to where nowadays it has to be either medium rare or rare (depending on the cut of meat and what mood I'm in).

23 1,872
 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-14-2012, 06:25 AM)livingontheedge Wrote: If I'm at an ordinary restaurant I order my steak rare. If I'm at a good steakhouse, or at home, allways blue. No spices, no salt no pepper just a little soy sauce, I prefer the taste of the meat and not spices.

AMEN to that!!

(06-14-2012, 07:48 AM)mikeperry Wrote: In my younger (read "stupid") days it had to be very well done (cremated), but as time has gone by and my taste buds have developed to appreciate the flavour of real food so has my appreciation of eating good, flavourful steak, to where nowadays it has to be either medium rare or rare (depending on the cut of meat and what mood I'm in).

I love the taste of just plain steak, provided it is a good cut. I have never understood those who will take a prime cut of beef and then smother it with some kind of steak sauce. To me that's for people who don't like steak! I realise though that this is yet another example of YMMV.

0 396
 06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-14-2012, 09:02 AM)uncledave Wrote: I love the taste of just plain steak, provided it is a good cut. I have never understood those who will take a prime cut of beef and then smother it with some kind of steak sauce. To me that's for people who don't like steak! I realise though that this is yet another example of YMMV.

Agreed! Thumbsup

23 1,872