06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Just so you know, when I can't shave I get more gabby than usual. Biggrin

Anyway, last night my nephew brought me some moonshine that had been "seasoned" like an apple pie. It had a stick of cinnamon on the bottom, some All Spice, and evidently some actual apple juice though I'm not sure on the apple juice.

This whiskey had absolutely no burn. It was like drinking Kool Aid! A few seconds after taking a swallow though you could feel it's effects beginning so I know there was alcohol in it.

Question: How in the world does this take all the burn out of what is normally a very strong whiskey?

This is twice I've had this kind of stuff and I've been amazed both times.

0 396
 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
I've only smelled moonshine once & it literally burned my nostrils. It's never made it any closer since then.

31 7,914
 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 07:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I've only smelled moonshine once & it literally burned my nostrils. It's never made it any closer since then.

That's exactly how I used to feel about it. That's why this surprised me so. This whiskey wouldn't burn a hair off a pissant's butt.

0 396
 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been told that moonshine can cause a person to go blind. You sure that's not what was wrong with your eyes?Biggrin

I do not know what that would take the burn out. I have tried moonshine before and after the first two or three sips, it's not all that bad.

Would not want to drink it all the time.

173 23,554
 06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 07:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: I've been told that moonshine can cause a person to go blind. You sure that's not what was wrong with your eyes?Biggrin

I do not know what that would take the burn out. I have tried moonshine before and after the first two or three sips, it's not all that bad.

Would not want to drink it all the time.

Maybe that's my problem. I drank it just til I needed glasses!Biggrin

I'm not a big drinker but when I want a drop of the creature no one had better stand in my way. My grandmother would say "That's the Irish they air in ye boy"

0 396
 06-13-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
never tried it myself. I hear it packs quite the punch. my friend was drinking some a few years ago and said he didn't feel it until he stood up.

40 5,830
 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
Uncledave,
Sounds like good stuff. Most of the moonshine i used to drink was in Portugal called Bagaco made in our small village and you surely knew you were drinking alcohol. Most were potato-based and it sure hit you well before you stood up. However, it is still quite common to drink it after your expresso.

75 20,883
 06-13-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
I sure wish I could get it up here regular like. Had it once and it was very good. They won't even let us buy legal Everclear anymore in NH where the sale is legal.

32 6,311
 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-13-2012, 07:17 PM)uncledave Wrote: Just so you know, when I can't shave I get more gabby than usual. Biggrin

Anyway, last night my nephew brought me some moonshine that had been "seasoned" like an apple pie. It had a stick of cinnamon on the bottom, some All Spice, and evidently some actual apple juice though I'm not sure on the apple juice.

This whiskey had absolutely no burn. It was like drinking Kool Aid! A few seconds after taking a swallow though you could feel it's effects beginning so I know there was alcohol in it.

Question: How in the world does this take all the burn out of what is normally a very strong whiskey?

This is twice I've had this kind of stuff and I've been amazed both times.

This was typical of Popcorn's shine. It had little to no burn at all. Not sure how he did it, but he always did.

116 3,804
 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
User Info
(06-13-2012, 09:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I sure wish I could get it up here regular like. Had it once and it was very good. They won't even let us buy legal Everclear anymore in NH where the sale is legal.

is that because you live in Maine and not NH?

40 5,830
 06-15-2012, 05:58 AM
User Info
I have tasted some that was smooth and had little burn but not seasoned as you describe. Make's me envious. Enjoy the warmth. Research has shown that a person who is more relaxed and content heals faster. Biggrin

29 1,731
 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM
User Info
(06-14-2012, 02:43 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 09:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I sure wish I could get it up here regular like. Had it once and it was very good. They won't even let us buy legal Everclear anymore in NH where the sale is legal.

No. My brother lives in NH and the fellow at the state run liquor store told him he won't order it anymore for anyone even though it's legal in NH. I was able to call the LS direct, talk to the gent and have my brother pick up cases of it previous to that. I used it for making herbal tinctures, and the fellow knew it. No really, I did. It was too expensive for drinking with all of the miles and time involved to take possession of it.

It's illegal to bring into Maine only because Maine has their hand out to collect tax. But that's for any liquor purchased elsewhere. It's not illegal to possess Everclear, only to sell it in Maine. The State Police used to sit in the parking lot of the NH liquor store on I95 and take down license plate #s then pull over the folks heading north. That was until NH found out about it and kicked 'em out. Biggrin

32 6,311
 06-17-2012, 11:56 PM
User Info
(06-15-2012, 07:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 02:43 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

No. My brother lives in NH and the fellow at the state run liquor store told him he won't order it anymore for anyone even though it's legal in NH. I was able to call the LS direct, talk to the gent and have my brother pick up cases of it previous to that. I used it for making herbal tinctures, and the fellow knew it. No really, I did. It was too expensive for drinking with all of the miles and time involved to take possession of it.

It's illegal to bring into Maine only because Maine has their hand out to collect tax. But that's for any liquor purchased elsewhere. It's not illegal to possess Everclear, only to sell it in Maine. The State Police used to sit in the parking lot of the NH liquor store on I95 and take down license plate #s then pull over the folks heading north. That was until NH found out about it and kicked 'em out. Biggrin

I see. Pennsylvania has some pretty archaic and mundane liquor laws as well. here's to hoping it gets fully privatized in the near future!

some day I'll make the trip to NH, especially for that porcfest meetup the free staters do on a yearly basis (happening right now as we speak, actually).

40 5,830
 06-18-2012, 06:37 AM
User Info
(06-17-2012, 11:56 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I see. Pennsylvania has some pretty archaic and mundane liquor laws as well. here's to hoping it gets fully privatized in the near future!

some day I'll make the trip to NH, especially for that porcfest meetup the free staters do on a yearly basis (happening right now as we speak, actually).

Andrew, I love where I live, so don't misunderstand, but sometimes I wonder if our (far too many with room temperature IQs) state reps are playing with a full deck. They do stuff like that all the time. Can't buy it here, so we go over the border when we're in the area and stock up on whatever. It's like they WANT us to be bent over grabbing our ankles all the time, "No, don't do business here!". I just don't get it.

I should probably just go online and order a few cases of Everclear and the heck with Maine and NH.

Recently, they passed a law that stated dog licences would help to pay for horse care when horse owners can no longer afford them. They tied mandatory reporting of rabies vaccinations to licensing. That is, get your dog a vaccination and that gets reported and if you don't license the dog, you're fined. A portion of those fees goes to pay for horses. All of that of course hinges on the rabies vaccination. The result? Lots of folks aren't getting their dogs vaccinated for rabies. Bend over and grab your ankles. Rabies vaccinations aren't done for the dog as much as for humanity.

I could go on and on, but this thread is about moonshine.

32 6,311
 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
This is a really interesting thread for us in the UK. Home distilling is (as far as I know) illegal over here. We can make our own wine & beer, if we like, but not distill. We also seem to have an issue with "fake" distilled alcohol coming onto the market, with bottles that claim to have vodka actually constituted partly or mostly by anti-freeze.

Id like to know how you guys know what you're buying won't do you some kind on long-term harm? Is there any come-back on the seller if you're damaged / made unwell by consuming their produce?

1 290
 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-18-2012, 07:04 AM)Persius Wrote: This is a really interesting thread for us in the UK. Home distilling is (as far as I know) illegal over here. We can make our own wine & beer, if we like, but not distill. We also seem to have an issue with "fake" distilled alcohol coming onto the market, with bottles that claim to have vodka actually constituted partly or mostly by anti-freeze.

Id like to know how you guys know what you're buying won't do you some kind on long-term harm? Is there any come-back on the seller if you're damaged / made unwell by consuming their produce?

It's illegal here too and always has been. However, it's illegal because the government can't TAX moonshine. Biggrin and I imagine the Feds have their hands full trying to track down meth labs and have little time for moonshine stills.

It can be dangerous to drink the stuff if it is made incorrectly. However, if you know the guy who makes it and know that it is made safely, it is OK to drink it. For example, I saw the moonshine still that made the whiskey I mentioned. It was all stainless steel and the condenser was copper. It had no lead in it anywhere. The guys were fermenting corn and some barley as well.

Unless I know the guy who made it I won't drink it.

0 396
 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-18-2012, 02:24 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 07:04 AM)Persius Wrote: This is a really interesting thread for us in the UK. Home distilling is (as far as I know) illegal over here. We can make our own wine & beer, if we like, but not distill. We also seem to have an issue with "fake" distilled alcohol coming onto the market, with bottles that claim to have vodka actually constituted partly or mostly by anti-freeze.

It's illegal here too and always has been. However, it's illegal because the government can't TAX moonshine. Biggrin and I imagine the Feds have their hands full trying to track down meth labs and have little time for moonshine stills.

It can be dangerous to drink the stuff if it is made incorrectly. However, if you know the guy who makes it and know that it is made safely, it is OK to drink it. For example, I saw the moonshine still that made the whiskey I mentioned. It was all stainless steel and the condenser was copper. It had no lead in it anywhere. The guys were fermenting corn and some barley as well.

Unless I know the guy who made it I won't drink it.

Its not only dangerous, it's deadly. I knew a person whose throat got burned badly from bad shine and she had a feeding tube till it was better. Meth is the new moonshine though honestly here (and most everywhere else).

116 3,804
 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
User Info
I've been drinking moonshine my entire life, easy to get when your family has been making it for 200 years Biggrin

0 433
 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-19-2012, 05:37 PM)cryhavoc Wrote: I've been drinking moonshine my entire life, easy to get when your family has been making it for 200 years Biggrin

And no health worries either. You wouldn't serve yourself jakeleg whiskey! Biggrin

0 396
 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
User Info
The apple distilled shine can go for some big bucks. There's also peach and a few other flavors. If done right, it's mighty tasty.

9 1,199