05-09-2015, 06:24 PM
User Info
Received the 30mm WD Synthetic from Larry today. Thought I would post some pictures of the 24mm and 30mm WD brushes for a size comparison. The 30mm has a loft from the glue bump to the tips of 45mm. From the handle to the tips is 58mm loft  with Larry's standard depth. So the 30mm handles must be 20mm deep because the knot is 30/80mm.[Image: TtIVTo9.jpg][Image: vER2a0K.jpg][Image: J1Oef6n.jpg][Image: jgH5k9n.jpg][Image: SrM7cK7.jpg]  I am going to use it tomorrow morning on 3 days growth and see how it goes. I head and face shave and bowl lather with Proraso Cream mostly. I really like the 24mm WD. Sold the Plisson synthetic but still have the EJ XL STF. I plan on eventually getting down to two brushes but will probably keep the three for awhile to be sure which one I am going to get rid of.

18 201
 05-09-2015, 08:28 PM
User Info
Wow! That is a massive brush! Enjoy it!  Thumbup

82 21,056
 05-09-2015, 10:58 PM
User Info
(05-09-2015, 08:28 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow! That is a massive brush! Enjoy it! 
+1

1 1,975
 05-10-2015, 04:56 AM
User Info
First use of the 30mm WD and it worked very well. Actually I didn't notice how big it is while using it. It feels and performs similar to the EJXL at less than half the price. That is the real difference, the price. Performance wise the EJ and WD is very similar and both are better than the Plisson in my opinion. But you can buy the 24mm and 30mm both for less than the EJXL.
I think the glue bump in the WD's is actually a good thing. You never feel it but the 24mm and the 30mm probably would be too floppy without it. The standard depth is fine and I don't think you would gain anything from drilling the handle deeper as the glue bump. With the Pur-Tech brushes the glue bump was bad because the knot wasn't as dense and you could feel it when using it, but with the WD's the density of the bristles keep you from feeling it. The knot feels very soft and splays perfectly and not springy, so as you can tell I really like them and would recommend either the 30mm and 24mm. I think for home use I prefer the 30mm and the 24mm for travel, although the 30mm will fit in the Muhle travel tube nicely.
As you can see from the pictures the WD knots are more dense than the EJ. The EJ holds water and lather better than the Plisson but the WD seems to hold even more, probably because of the density. You have to be careful wetting the WD's as it is easy to get to much water. Once aware of it though it isn't a problem. The Plisson I use to wet and shake 3x, the EJXL 4x, the WD 24mm needs 5x and the 30mm 6 or 7x.

18 201
 05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Nice review/comparison. I have the 24mm synth en rte.  I wonder if I'll have to upgrade to the 30mm?.......must.....stop.....buying.....more.......brushes........

13 646
 05-15-2015, 05:52 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review!  I put my order for the 30mm synthetic with Larry this morning.  I was debating whether or not to get it drilled down, but stuck with the standard loft.  I head and face shave, as well, but prefer to lather directly to my head and face.  I love my TGC, but wanted to try something larger and easier to grip.

2 107