05-12-2015, 09:28 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Alt Innsbruk is a big favorite of mine but one thing I don't get, it says it's both an aftershave and a cologne, two different beasts. In my experience it doesn't last long enough to be called a cologne. Any thoughts?

Mod Edit: topic title altered, to correct the product's name.

7 2,328
 05-12-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
Colognes (Eau de Colognes!) are not as strong as Eau de Toilette oder Eau de Parfum by definition.
I think the conception of "Cologne" to be a lasting fragrance is because in_the_US Perfume is commonly called Cologne, to make it wordable for men. This is not perfume but eau de cologne.
Frankly I do not even know how to call perfume in German without making it unmanly... I think we would always refer to anything as Aftershave  here..which again is manly Biggrin

edit: Rasierwasser (AS) and Duftwasser (perfume)  are the words. Of course
Alt-Innsbruck:

It lasts a few hours if that at most with me. The solution has some soothing ingredients, it is pretty good at that.it would fit that description, (Eau de) cologne and aftershave.  
It is rather floral and I  use it rarely because of this

21 1,175
 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
(05-12-2015, 10:03 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Frankly I do not even know how to call perfume in German without making it unmanly... I think we would always refer to anything as Aftershave  here..which again is manly Biggrin

Actually, one of the things I like about Germans (or at least the people who post on parfumo.de) is that they are unafraid to use the word Parfum (or Parfüm) when referring to men's fragrances - although admittedly the neutral word Duft ("fragrance") is just as common.

The abominable practice of using the word "aftershave" as a generic term for men's fragrance is something I associate with the UK, not with Germany.

0 9
 05-13-2015, 12:21 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Scent is not only  seasonal, but hourly selection. That Jerry Garcia tie may be acceptable for selling cars until 5P.M. But after dusk you will want
a darker, often solid tie. If you are going to a musical performance  blacktie and dinnerjacket to greet the soloist in whitetie would be expected.
A fresh, morning scent SHOULD fade so you can apply a scent more appropos. Rose water in the morning and Bois du Portugal  are extreme examples. If, you are in fact going to a Greatfull Dead concert that tie will be fine; along with the tribal Patchoulli and no evidence of grooming whatsoever.

2 3,171
 05-15-2015, 12:47 AM
User Info
I love to use aftershaves that fade quickly so that a fragrance can be applied soon after. I've been using Alt-Innsbruck for around 4 years now, but what I love about it is that I can use it as an AS, but the scent will linger most of the day. I definitely don't find it too floral.

@ hoseunyan.....to quote... "The abominable practice of using the word "aftershave" as a generic term for men's fragrance is something I associate with the UK, not with Germany. "

How very right you are. I always cringe and want to correct the speaker whenever I hear the term aftershave used in this fashion. Facepalm

31 5,293
 05-15-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
I found it very strong, long lasting and too much for the office and home. 

A few comments about "What is that smell on the phone" after I used it at work and others could smell the lingering scent...as well as turned up noses from my wife and kids, it got sold.

8 2,718
 05-15-2015, 07:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I love it and would not be without it.  As a matter of fact, I received a new bottle this morning in the mail.

178 23,809
 05-15-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
It is a definite YMMV with Alt Innsbruck. My nose loves it and that sneaky menthol... Cool

39 3,919
 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
I have the bottle with that weird atomizer and let me tell you with more than 500 fragrances in my wardrobe I use Alt I once a year perhaps, and have perhaps used it 8-10 times but my 100 ml bottle is now down to 75 ml, so that weird atomizer is leaking the juice out into the air - so avoid buying the bottle with that weird thing on top.

[Image: Alt-Innsbruck_Cologne_Aftershave_atomizer.jpg]

24 5,969
 05-17-2015, 05:21 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
That atomizer was designed by a german contract engineer named Zeppelin.

2 3,171
 05-19-2015, 05:16 AM
User Info
I always forget that the top is  open and just pours out, unlike my others that only come out in drops. 

0 61
 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM
User Info
(05-17-2015, 10:03 AM)I thought my ASAD was bad...  sheesh!   CHSeifert Wrote: I have the bottle with that weird atomizer and let me tell you with more than 500 fragrances in my wardrobe I use Alt I once a year perhaps, and have perhaps used it 8-10 times but my 100 ml bottle is now down to 75 ml, so that weird atomizer is leaking the juice out into the air - so avoid buying the bottle with that weird thing on top.

0 57
 06-05-2015, 10:09 AM
User Info
(05-12-2015, 10:03 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: It lasts a few hours if that at most with me. The solution has some soothing ingredients, it is pretty good at that.it would fit that description, (Eau de) cologne and aftershave.  
It is rather floral and I  use it rarely because of this
Well.  I had it on in an office setting and felt somewhat insecure
Below, those quotes are more like it!

(05-15-2015, 12:47 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I love to use aftershaves that fade quickly so that a fragrance can be applied soon after. I've been using Alt-Innsbruck for around 4 years now, but what I love about it is that I can use it as an AS, but the scent will linger most of the day. I definitely don't find it too floral.

@ hoseunyan.....to quote... "The abominable practice of using the word "aftershave" as a generic term for men's fragrance is something I associate with the UK, not with Germany. "

How very right you are. I always cringe and want to correct the speaker whenever I hear the term aftershave used in this fashion. Facepalm

(05-15-2015, 07:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: I love it and would not be without it.  As a matter of fact, I received a new bottle this morning in the mail.

(05-15-2015, 08:25 AM)primotenore Wrote: It is a definite YMMV with Alt Innsbruck. My nose loves it and that sneaky menthol... Cool

It is sooo lovely. Have some on now, it feels and smells excellent. Thank you guys, I need to rely on you and come back to learn.  This is one barbershop scent =)

21 1,175
 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
(05-19-2015, 05:16 AM)shmuel Wrote: I always forget that the top is  open and just pours out, unlike my others that only come out in drops. 

...so true.........so true............

46 1,066
 06-05-2015, 06:07 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
(05-17-2015, 10:03 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have the bottle with that weird atomizer and let me tell you with more than 500 fragrances in my wardrobe I use Alt I once a year perhaps, and have perhaps used it 8-10 times but my 100 ml bottle is now down to 75 ml, so that weird atomizer is leaking the juice out into the air - so avoid buying the bottle with that weird thing on top.

....thank you for the information, CHSeifert .............. .i almost purchased the one with the atomizer..

46 1,066
 06-05-2015, 07:17 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I confess to having the atomizer.  But I use mine more than once a year.  More like two or three times a week.  I don't give it time to evaporate. 

178 23,809
 06-10-2015, 03:19 AM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
All I can say is that I would not be without it and that it gets used more than many.....

14 208
 07-07-2015, 04:38 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I guess I might be missing out. I use it as a pre shave only. For me the scent took a while to get use to. Now I think its pretty nice. And your right the oder last just a short while.

21 463
 07-07-2015, 05:05 AM
User Info
(07-07-2015, 04:38 AM)HarryO Wrote: I guess I might be missing out. I use it as a pre shave only. For me the scent took a while to get use to. Now I think its pretty nice. And your right the oder last just a short while.
Do you find it makes a difference? Isn't it pretty much alcohol based and drying?

8 2,718