05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
Quote: Can I apply some toner and then moisturizer instead of the alum and aftershave? On paulaschoice.com customer service and even some folks on SkincareAddiction(on www.reddit.com) recommend this.

0 98
 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
Of course you can. You can experiment until you find the best combination for your skincare needs. 

39 3,920
 05-12-2015, 01:14 PM
User Info
I sometimes use lotion. I never used aftershave at all my first two years wetshaving. It is a want not a need.

18 713
 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
What I meant was if a toner and then a moisturizer won't basically be the same as an alum, and then an aftershave balm. These are the type of toners that i was referring to http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-ca...es/toners/.

0 98
 05-12-2015, 03:13 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
As far as I know, that's not much, a toner tightens your face but so does alum. A moisturizer adds moisture to your face but then so does a good aftershave balm. Alum also has a slight anti bacterial effect and a good aftershave balm also should also have ingredients to soothe irritated skin from shaving. 

In short you can use whatever you want post shave if it works for you.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-16-2015, 12:00 AM
User Info
I'm asking the question because I use aftershave balm(Proraso White and Proraso Blue). So applying the aftershave balm and then a moisturizer would seem like applying the same type of product. Maybe I can apply alum after the shave,rinse it off, then toner and finally moisturizer.

0 98
 05-17-2015, 07:52 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Toner/alum/astringent are applied immediately after the shave to tighten pores and help with weepers (helps stop the bleeding). The moisturizer is added afterwards to moisturizer your new skin layer, as the act of shaving removes dead skin. 

There are many combinations to choose from. Some products attempt to combine all properties but I believe most wet shavers apply some sort of "aftershave"...and follow with a moisturizer. Many have skin sensitivities to alum and skip it altogether. This is why aftershaves such as Floids, Proraso, Myrsol and Pitralon are so popular. They combine the properties of toner & moisturizer without added alum. 

168 1,392
 06-03-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
I would take advice from Paula'sChoice with a grain of salt...they are obviously biased towards their own products. They don't particularly suggest anything their products are not.

That aside, here is my 2 cents...a aftershave balm is, in a more board sense, a moisturizer. I don't know if I would consider alum a toner, although it acts like a toner in the sense that it is an astringent. So putting on a toner and moisturizer is similar to putting on alum and an aftershave balm, so the answer to your question is yes you can.

Now the difference between a moisturizer and an aftershave balm, IMO, is an ASB should have ingredients they are added specifically to soothe razor burn, and calm the skin after a shave, as well as add moisture. A typical moisturizer like say Cetaphil, isn't really going to do the above, it will basically just moisturize your skin. So if you did happen to have a great shave and dry skin is the only issue post-shave, than sure, a toner and moisturizer will suffice. Otherwise a properly formulated balm or aftershave should do more than just moisturize. Also many people put a toner on, such as witch hazel, in addition to using an alum block, b/c a lot of people wash the alum off after a little while. Hope this helps.

0 54
 06-03-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
Currently, I'm using Witch Hazel followed by L'Occitane's L'Occitan post shave balm, which works well for me. Though I plan on trying some aftershave fairly soon, I haven't felt the need before.  Am I right in assuming that you wouldn't need to use Witch Hazel if you were using the aftershave?

1 142
 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 05:22 PM)Justino_14 Wrote: I would take advice from Paula'sChoice with a grain of salt...they are obviously biased towards their own products. They don't particularly suggest anything their products are not.

That aside, here is my 2 cents...a aftershave balm is, in a more board sense, a moisturizer. I don't know if I would consider alum a toner, although it acts like a toner in the sense that it is an astringent. So putting on a toner and moisturizer is similar to putting on alum and an aftershave balm, so the answer to your question is yes you can.

Now the difference between a moisturizer and an aftershave balm, IMO, is an ASB should have ingredients they are added specifically to soothe razor burn, and calm the skin after a shave, as well as add moisture. A typical moisturizer like say Cetaphil, isn't really going to do the above, it will basically just moisturize your skin. So if you did happen to have a great shave and dry skin is the only issue post-shave, than sure, a toner and moisturizer will suffice. Otherwise a properly formulated balm or aftershave should do more than just moisturize. Also many people put a toner on, such as witch hazel, in addition to using an alum block, b/c a lot of people wash the alum off after a little while. Hope this helps.

So a toner with razor burn soothing qualities or even an alum and then moisturizer would help then. Or a toner, BHA exfoliant and moisturizer.

0 98
 06-03-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
My post shave routine includes as follows maggards alum block left on for 30 seconds. I then was my face and pat dry followed by a rosewater toner. I let that dry and put on modern fougere from ccfm. I finally put on Nivea sensitive balm if my face feels really worked over. Is it all needed I don't really know. Science hasn't proven it to me, especially when I was always taught to keep it simple stupid. But does it make my face feel better hell yes! If it gives you peace of mind that you are taking care of your face and don't mind spending the money on it then do it.

4 208
 06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
User Info
In a recent  interview by "Nick shaves" with Howard Schechter Howard mentions the purpose of a toner or lotion to compensate for alkaline pH.
 Say you use Golddachs soap which is highly alkaline. You follow it with a thorough rinse, then use  Thayers Witch hazel  and let that dry down.
I have no scientific measurements but it is scientifically proven that there will be a residue on the surface of things when using detergents.

At 10:00 they talk postshave

This video could be posted in many threads, if anybody feels like opening a thread on this go ahead Smile Let me know if it takes off so I can follow it please
Overall great interview, talking about edge maintainance and sharpening

BTW The Ultra badger.. "I got mine from Ray". Any idea what shop that refers to?  At 9:27

Philipp

p.s.:first episode on Howard Schechter´s activities by Nick shaves is here-

21 1,175
 06-03-2015, 11:15 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes, this was a good interview with Howard from Nick Shaves.

The Ray that Howard is referring to was Ray Dupont the founder of Classic Shaving.  A wonderful man I had the pleasure of spending some time with out in California back in the great shavemyface days.  A legend in the wet shaving world who unfortunately passed away in 2006.

42 1,041
 06-04-2015, 02:20 AM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 11:15 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Yes, this was a good interview with Howard from Nick Shaves.

The Ray that Howard is referring to was Ray Dupont the founder of Classic Shaving.  A wonderful man I had the pleasure of spending some time with out in California back in the great shavemyface days.  A legend in the wet shaving world who unfortunately passed away in 2006.

Thank you!

21 1,175
 06-04-2015, 03:58 AM
User Info
All I was trying to get at was that you should experiment and try different post shave techniques. See what may work for you. Different products like different skin. 

4 208
 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 06:02 PM)Alex7 Wrote: So a toner with razor burn soothing qualities or even an alum and then moisturizer would help then. Or a toner, BHA exfoliant and moisturizer.

I might be wrong but I don't think using a BHA would be wise as a post shave product. Like you said BHA product is an exfoliant, and that's probably going to irriate your skin more than anything. Usually you want to exfoliate your skin prior to the shave, not after the shave.

A lot of people say WH is good as soothing razor burn and I would partially agree with that. For me having dry skin, using alum and WH is just going to dry out your skin even more, that's why I avoid alcohol based aftershave products. Thayers WH is good because it is alcohol free and contains aloe so it won't dry out your skin much if anything.

The entire purpose of a toner is to bring your skins pH level back to normal (which is acidic). Than an aftershave splash or balm gives you that extra hydration/ soothing properties.

0 54