05-13-2015, 08:00 AM
User Info
My father is 70. He uses electric shavers because he thinks they are better for the skin. Never mind the fact that he complains about ingrown neck hairs all the time.

Maybe he is right, maybe I'm wrong - but I remember using a Norelco and it destroyed my neck so I was hoping to nudge him towards this.

Can it be done? Am I just asking for trouble?

0 131
 05-13-2015, 08:04 AM
User Info
I just gave my dad a set up and said try it and he now has more razors and soaps than me.

4 642
 05-13-2015, 08:09 AM
User Info
Give him a ticket for a free shave in a barber shop he might like

21 1,175
 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
... i agree that electric razors are horrible...... i can't use them..........

........ gift your father a razor, a brush and some soap...... if he doesn't use it/like it, then you keep it.....

43 1,063
 05-13-2015, 08:14 AM
User Info
I would give him some things to try too.  As always YMMV. DEs destroyed my face but SEs are comfortable enough for daily shaves. His skin may very well like electric.

18 713
 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM
User Info
Getting a grown man to do anything he doesn't have it in his head he wants to do is pretty difficult.  Fair enough, when I'm 70, I probably won't listen to much my kid has to say in terms of advice either.  I know my dad doesn't. You can make him a gift of a kit, but don't be disappointed if he doesn't use it.  Or, you can try to talk up how much better your face feels since you gave up an electric.  Or maybe, you could gift him a kit, then sabotage his electric, and when he sees how much a good electric sells for these days, he'll use the razor you bought him.   Angel

15 402
 05-13-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
Best of luck to you! I think it may be quite a challenge, but I would attempt it as you never know if he will like the experience.

82 21,056
 05-13-2015, 08:47 AM
  • peit
User Info
Find a soap he loves the smell of.
Leave it, a semogue boar, and a Gillette guard in his bathroom.
Wait.

You can lead a horse to water....

0 10
 05-13-2015, 09:00 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I don't think I would try to "get him" to do it. If you think it would be good for him, suggest it and give him reasons why it could be beneficial. If he isn't interested, respect his wishes.

My dad and my son both couldn't be less interested in wet shaving. Although I enjoy it, I recognize that it isn't for everyone.

60 843
 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info
I actually had a Dr. tell me that electric razors were better for my skin.He stated he suffered from ingrown hairs and that if I didn't use an electric mine would only get worse. He also told me to shave with the grain only and to use at least a 3 blade razor.TRUE STORY

As far as the 70 your old man, good luck I find most people that age are set in their ways.Give him some stuff to try out. Being that age he's used a DE razor before,and for some reason he stopped,maybe he can be reminded how good the shaves are,or he might be reminded why he switched to electric. Either way good luck.

3 1,356
 05-13-2015, 09:56 AM
User Info
I agree with most of the other posters here; he may be stubborn (not uncommon in men of that age) or he may have a strongly felt reason against wet shaving.

In either case, I think the suggestion of buying him some starter gear that you wouldn't mind having yourself is good -- buy him a handsome Edwin Jagger razor and some fragrant shaving cream along with a decent brush. Give it some time and, if he's still unwilling to try, you've got some things you can use yourself or re-gift to someone else.

mi dos centavos
Euro

5 395
 05-13-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
I would get your father, for father's day, a gift certificate for a top-shelf wet-shave, AND his own shaving den set-up. 
How about a Merkur 34C, WSP middle-good grade badger brush, Proraso green tube, Floïd Blue. 
I wish my father were still around so I could convert him as well...

39 3,867
 05-13-2015, 11:51 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I wouldn't push it too hard especially with a 70 year old man who is likely set in his ways and happy with them. They can get mighty aggravated when bugged too much about things they may not want to try. A little gentle hint now and again is, I think, the best you can do. He'll try it when and if he wants to.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-13-2015, 12:05 PM
User Info
My dad is 74 and stopped using anything with a blade because he takes blood thinners. Unfortunately I asked him for his old spice mug and is Gillette and he threw them away. Such a bummer.

0 853
 05-13-2015, 12:08 PM
User Info
Btw, would you go to DE or cartridges since they are "easier"?

0 131
 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
Seriously? He remembers when you dumped in your drawers. First, get him to forget that to give yourself some credibility. OK, seriously for real, but there is truth to what I just wrote.

All you can do is to plant seeds. The rest is up to him. He gets ingrowns, do you? That's a seed. Do you enjoy shaving? That's a seed. All you can do is to plant them, they need to grow on their own. Has he smelled the soaps? Felt real lather on the skin?

Suggestion... Fathers Day is coming, you could treat him to YOUR spa for a shave and lunch or some such pretext. Of course you'll use your shave gear. Hey, I'm wingin' it here, finagle it anyway you can. Of course the electric is causing his ingrown, prove it to him. Shaves at your spa for Fathers Week? Whatever it takes. You can't force him, he needs to choose it for himself. If it was me I'd print out a certificate to my spa for shaves for a week or 2. That should give him time to get rid of the ingrowns. That's when that seed will grow if you water it. Just don't oversell it. Give him a spa treatment and talk about the weather if need be. After all of that ask about his ingrowns. Let it click for him, don't bash him over the head with it. It always works best when someone thinks it was their idea.

32 6,445
 05-13-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
(05-13-2015, 08:04 AM)Windsor Citrus Wrote: I just gave my dad a set up and said try it and he now has more razors and soaps than me.

+1 I bought my dad a Setup and a great tutorial video from YouTube then told him to try it out.... Now him.. And my mom are appreciative!

Tappan

17 1,297
 05-13-2015, 02:19 PM
User Info
My Dad switched to electric in the 60's swore by them and never went back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 722
 05-13-2015, 04:34 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I used to give my dad a gift, accept his scowl at the new fangled idea I had and watch as a month later he would be raving about it to anyone that would listen. 

Gift him a kit with no expectations. 

7 438
 05-13-2015, 08:00 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-13-2015, 09:18 AM)Otis375 Wrote: As far as the 70 your old man, good luck I find most people that age are set in their ways.Give him some stuff to try out. Being that age he's used a DE razor before,and for some reason he stopped,maybe he can be reminded how good the shaves are,or he might be reminded why he switched to electric. Either way good luck.

As for 70 year olds being set in their ways, not only is it false, it is 180° off.  What is true is that mature men (and women) have seen fads come and go, and are not impressed by the “newer always must be better” mistake that callow youth fall into.  How do I know?  I’m 72.  However, when I was age 70, I never had held a DE razor in my hand, much less used one, so there goes your “being that age, he’s used a DE razor before” assumption.  He may not have switched; he may have shaved with an electric from the start, as I did in the 1950’s.  On the other hand, by age 70, I had been shaving every morning with a brush-induced lather (and either injector razors or cartridge razors) for 45 years.  I was no novice to wet shaving.

Now, shaving with an unpowered blade is not a new phenomenon; it dates back thousands of years, while shaving with an electric shaver is less than a century old.  It is not newness, therefore, or “set in the ways” that keeps the OP’s father from using a DE, but that he sees no reason to do anything different than what in all probability he finds perfectly satisfactory right now.  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, he probably thinks. 

The best argument for “wet shaving” -- which is not the same as shaving with a DE razor or shaving with an SE razor -- is that when you lather your face with soap to shave, you are simultaneously washing your face with a highly emollient soap; whereas, with the exception of the new class of shave-in-the-shower electrics, when you shave with an electric razor, you are dragging a piece of metal across your skin that probably was coated with facial oils from previous shaves even before you began this shave.  After an electric shave, the self-aware man feels vaguely dirty, whereas after a wet shave -- which includes shaves with a cartridge razor after lathering up -- your face feels washed, moistened, and refreshed.  (The same applies with even greater force as to the primitive toilet seats that are the norm in North America, and which ingrain the habit of wiping after defecation with a dry piece of paper, the equivalent of wiping yourself off after a sweaty workout with only a paper towel; in contrast, "shower" or "bidet" toilet seats, which are used in 90 percent of Japanese households, enable the equivalent of showering after a workout.  But I digress.)  

So, to the OP, sell clean refreshment rather than a better way to mow whiskers; start with extolling the benefits of soap and water, in other words, rather than arguing the configuration of the cutting blades.

0 1,048