05-13-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
I am a short timer at wet shaving. This morning something incredible happened. I set up my gear a Semogue boar brush I have had for about 3 months and it's breaking in beautifully. A new Muhle R89 and for the first time strop shoppe Baker Street. Because I read the posts everyday I take a dollop of soap and press it down into the bowl and start a lather. Wow so far my best lather. I then brush it on and begin to shave. This was a slickness I had not yet seen before. However the 4 day persona blade wasn't doing anything. How could this be I asked myself. I went into my starter shave den AKA the spare bathroom and grabbed a Feather blade which I hadn't touched since I tore up my face the first time I tried using one as a newbie. I put it in the r89 and had the 3 most comfortable passes of my wet shaving life. With no irritation and very little pressure. I am still glowing with pride. Today will be a great day.

Andy

0 46
 05-13-2015, 08:33 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Well done!

102 18,668
 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Andy! Thumbsup

83 21,109
 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like a great shave Andy. Nice work!

61 4,620
 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Strop Shoppe is my favorite artisan soap, congrats on your discovery!

148 2,819
 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM
User Info
Congratulations! Feathers are not  look thirsty blades out to disfigure your face. I for one like the best tool for the job no matter what I'm doing,and IMO when it comes to shaving feathers will always be one of my top blades. When I has about a month into wetshaving I bought 50 feathers and made myself use all 50 until they were gone, I told myself if I could shave with those then any other blade would be a piece of cake. Those 50 blades took my technique to the next level. 

3 1,356
 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
I remember my moment of epiphany too -- a marvelous feeling. I just knew that I'd finally figured it out. That is not to say that there has been no improvement since then (quite a lot really) or that I haven't had any bad shaves since (a few) but simply that I'd scaled the cliff and was now on the plateau!

For me the DE learning process was at least 60% un-learning all the habits that cartridge multi-blade shaving had taught me. It's funny, but now the same thing happens in reverse when I'm forced by travel restrictions to use the multi-blades -- I forget to use sufficient pressure and wonder why the beard isn't disappearing!

Still, congratulations to all who reach that Eureka! moment -- in shaving or in anything that you strive for.
Euro

5 395
 05-13-2015, 03:57 PM
User Info
(05-13-2015, 08:22 AM)acotler Wrote: I am a short timer at wet shaving. This morning something incredible happened. I set up my gear a Semogue boar brush I have had for about 3 months and it's breaking in beautifully. A new Muhle R89 and for the first time strop shoppe Baker Street. Because I read the posts everyday I take a dollop of soap and press it down into the bowl and start a lather. Wow so far my best lather. I then brush it on and begin to shave. This was a slickness I had not yet seen before. However the 4 day persona blade wasn't doing anything. How could this be I asked myself. I went into my starter shave den AKA the spare bathroom and grabbed a Feather blade which I hadn't touched since I tore up my face the first time I tried using one as a newbie. I put it in the r89 and had the 3 most comfortable passes of my wet shaving life. With no irritation and very little pressure. I am still glowing with pride. Today will be a great day.

Andy
A smooth shave is a great feeling... Thumbup

39 3,947
 05-14-2015, 05:41 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Great to hear! Its always that one shave which dials in everything and being consistent. 

10 963
 05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
User Info
Congrats on the epiphany and the great shave!  It feels awesome doesn't it?

0 38
 05-14-2015, 07:14 PM
User Info
It's awesome when it clicks into place!

32 6,470
 05-15-2015, 01:39 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Fantastic.  Well done on everything falling into place. 

7 1,277
 05-15-2015, 04:02 AM
User Info
Congratulations on a wonderful shave - this is what it's all about.

One of the great lessons as we learn to shave is that sometimes a blade (or razor/cream/soap) magically improves from a dud to a superstar with a few months rest)

Today is a Great Day!

3 460