05-13-2015, 08:39 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Well we all seem to have a lot of stuff to get through these days and my piles of product keep getting higher even when I'm selling. I have, time to time, considered and "committed" to killing a puck of soap until it is gone, but I just don't have that kind of willpower and honestly I don't even like the idea of using just one soap for a long period of time.... So I only last a few days with the one soap before I quit and just start rotating all my products again.
However, on the few occasions I have, for any reason, used the same soap for a few days in a row without rotation, I definitely notice that I learn more about the soap and how to get the most out of it.
In keeping this OP short, I am wondering would anyone want to start a mini-club where members commit to any rotation they want but instead of rotating every day, we would use the same product for 5-10 days (your choice), and see how deeply we can learn about these soaps.
This would be more of a self-help group to keep each other strong when we feel like swaying off the path (by premature rotation!)
And also to detail our findings with the soaps of choice since we will be getting to know them more intimately!

Anyone who has 3017'd a soap will tell you that's how to learn a soap, but I want to do that without using the WHOLE soap.
To be clear, we all individually can use whatever soap we want without regard for what other SAW Club members are using, the only thing you are committing to is basically rotating slowly (using the same soaps for a few days) and sharing on this thread whether or not you are gaining more "intimate" knowledge of your soap of the week (so to speak).

Would this help-group help you?

62 3,004
 05-13-2015, 08:43 AM
User Info
Matt, I have no problem with using my only soap, every day! I could do it for the rest of my life! I am just very fortunate that it is offered in so many wonderful scents. Biggrin

83 21,109
 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I knew I could count on you Celestino!! Thanks Pal!
That's 2. Who else!!??

62 3,004
 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I already do this, though sometimes I won't go the full week and other times I'll go longer than a week (usually if I am close to killing of a product).  I'm using Strop Shoppe Russian Tea Limited Edition this week and getting some awesome shaves.  The scent is good but not my cup of ... well that would be too easy.

148 2,820
 05-13-2015, 09:53 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Well Gents, here's my specs for the first round.
B&M Fougere Aromatique (Tre Città vegan formula)

This is the second time I've actually used it (the first time a few days ago), and this time I thought I'd use it a bit thicker. In the end, I do prefer how I used it the other day, with more hydration and taking more time to mix and built the lather. Today it was drier and I noticed it wasn't as slick as my shave the other day, very slight dragging (fully due to my own discretion, and not due to product failure). Still though a very good, comfortable shave! Just I preferred my lather the other day much more.
Tomorrow I will tweak it back toward the wetter side and take more time building the lather.
The very encouraging sign is that even though I've intentionally made it thicker/drier today, my skin is still in excellent comfort and I haven't even used a post shave product today. All I did postshave was wash my face with a cleanser but no splash or balm or anything like that. And it feels like there is just no need. I can't wait to see how my face feels tomorrow after a shave with a more hydrated lather.
EDIT: I want to make sure I include here that my first shave with this soap the other day was flawless. And today I intentionally decided to change something that was already working. Just part of the discovery process.
And another BIG thing that is not talked about enough on forums is humidity/climate.
I am originally from the Great Lakes area where I have very oily skin, but since moving to the arid mountain west, my skin is obviously much drier and never oily, and I need to have my shaves "wet" as possible here. THAT was part of the discovery process too.

62 3,004
 05-13-2015, 09:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-13-2015, 09:47 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I already do this, though sometimes I won't go the full week and other times I'll go longer than a week (usually if I am close to killing of a product).  I'm using Strop Shoppe Russian Tea Limited Edition this week and getting some awesome shaves.  The scent is good but not my cup of ... well that would be too easy.

Good to hear!
Btw, I saw your thread the other day on another forum (the thread was actually created in Fall 2014) regarding you've found how to make a stable lather with Sodium Palmate-first soaps from Penhaligon's, GFT, etc. Did that ever come to fruition, or is it still a crapshoot? The thread kinda died off after a page or so I believe.

62 3,004
 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(05-13-2015, 09:57 AM)Nero Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 09:47 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I already do this, though sometimes I won't go the full week and other times I'll go longer than a week (usually if I am close to killing of a product).  I'm using Strop Shoppe Russian Tea Limited Edition this week and getting some awesome shaves.  The scent is good but not my cup of ... well that would be too easy.

Good to hear!
Btw, I saw your thread the other day on another forum (the thread was actually created in Fall 2014) regarding you've found how to make a stable lather with Sodium Palmate-first soaps from Penhaligon's, GFT, etc. Did that ever come to fruition, or is it still a crapshoot? The thread kinda died off after a page or so I believe.
Indeed, even though I sold my pens bb since, I was enjoying the lather and shave I got from it. I still have a GFT Eucris soap which I get a similar performance from. Try the method I outlined in that thread and see if you can get yours to work the same. It does take more work, and I so wouldn't recommend these soaps as good performers, but if you have one on hand give it a try.

148 2,820
 05-13-2015, 04:02 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-13-2015, 10:00 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 09:57 AM)Nero Wrote:

Good to hear!
Indeed, even though I sold my pens bb since, I was enjoying the lather and shave I got from it. I still have a GFT Eucris soap which I get a similar performance from. Try the method I outlined in that thread and see if you can get yours to work the same. It does take more work, and I so wouldn't recommend these soaps as good performers, but if you have one on hand give it a try.

I know I have a GFT Almond stashed somewhere with that formula, I'll have to dig it out and try.
Looking forward to giving it a try again. I love the scent! So hoping I can make something of it.

62 3,004
 05-14-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
Are we all using the same one, or just one soap in our personal selection for one week? I'd be willing to join!

16 1,027
 05-14-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
I've been in the dumps with jumping around with such a big soap stash. This seems to have been my thought a few weeks ago. I hope if I can stay disciplined to do this, I can really learn what my skin needs in a soap. This will eventually lead to helping me with how I will choose what will be in my soap when I start making soap.

I am thinking of starting with Jabonman (old formula with all of the goodies in the small tin) in the Brisa de Oriente scent.

81 1,368
 05-14-2015, 09:43 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-14-2015, 07:27 AM)crazindndude Wrote: Are we all using the same one, or just one soap in our personal selection for one week? I'd be willing to join!

Your choice… and use it as long as you want.  My point of the group is just to each get our own better understanding of the soaps we each choose from our extended continuous use.  You can define how long that is for you, for each soap you choose.  No other hard and fast rules, really!  

62 3,004
 05-14-2015, 09:45 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-14-2015, 08:57 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I've been in the dumps with jumping around with such a big soap stash. This seems to have been my thought a few weeks ago. I hope if I can stay disciplined to do this, I can really learn what my skin needs in a soap.

Exactly my points, as well… glad you see the value and feel the same!

62 3,004
 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've been using an entirely different lineup everyday for some time now and have been considering doing something like this. I mean I don't use the same blade, razor, I don't even use soaps or creams two days in a row but rather alternate between them.     So I'm in.

7 2,359
 05-14-2015, 03:14 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-14-2015, 11:04 AM)Mouser Wrote: I've been using an entirely different lineup everyday for some time now and have been considering doing something like this. I mean I don't use the same blade, razor, I don't even use soaps or creams two days in a row but rather alternate between them.     So I'm in.

Awesome, glad to hear... welcome!

62 3,004
 05-15-2015, 06:15 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Well, 3rd day in a row (4th day overall with this new soap) was my best yet with the Tre Citta Fougere Aromatique.  Today I bowl lathered, which I normally do not do, but I have been experimenting with the bowl over the past few months.
I think I will try this method again tomorrow, and maybe just lather it a little longer than today, and I think that will be my sweet spot for using this one.

How's everyone else doing?  What soap/cream are you using (if you've not mentioned it above)?

62 3,004
 05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Oops! I thought we would start at the beginning of the week. I'm going to begin Sunday but I still haven't decided which one to use first.

7 2,359
 05-15-2015, 10:42 PM
User Info
Matt, just catching this thread, had the flu so I've been out of sorts, Great idea my friend, Im in but I will start on Sunday as well. I think I will go with Mitchell's wool Fat, I really want to master this soap and this gives me the incentive to do it. Im actually excited to see how everyone comes along. See you Sunday!

8 264
 05-16-2015, 08:18 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-15-2015, 09:50 PM)Mouser Wrote: Oops! I thought we would start at the beginning of the week. I'm going to begin Sunday but I still haven't decided which one to use first.

No worry at all, I forgot to say when Smile
I just dove right in.
Begin Sunday!

62 3,004
 05-16-2015, 08:21 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-15-2015, 10:42 PM)George N Wrote: Matt, just catching this thread, had the flu so I've been out of sorts, Great idea my friend, Im in but I will start on Sunday as well. I think I will go with Mitchell's wool Fat, I really want to master this soap and this gives me the incentive to do it. Im actually excited to see how everyone comes along. See you Sunday!

Thanks George, I'm glad to see you're aboard too!
Sunday sounds good!
And good luck with MWF. I can't use it bc of the lanolin, but I'd love to try my lathering skills with it someday just for fun.

62 3,004
 05-16-2015, 09:15 AM
User Info
I've just had a recent influx of soaps, and have been eager to lather up a shave with each one.  But I like the idea of taking some time with a soap instead of constantly rotating.  So count me in ... starting Sunday.  There's just one more I want to try today Biggrin  But I'll be settling in and getting cozy with the newly acquired Shannon's Woodland Frost at the start of the week.

2 107