05-16-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
Tomorrow will begin a week of CRSW Bergamot & Bay for me. Just got it earlier today, but after I'd already shaved. The scent is wonderful, can't wait to try it out.

16 1,027
 05-16-2015, 11:44 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Excellent, guys!
I had my forth shave in a row with the Aromatique today and really nailed it. And I've got my notes, which is what I wanted.
I think I will start with a different product tomorrow with you guys but I'll think about it this afternoon and decide by tonight.

59 2,809
 05-16-2015, 08:09 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
And I thought picking my soap was difficult when I was switching every day....
I finally decided, and am SUPER pumped for it, I will be using my vintage Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil soap. I have a "sweet" (truly sorry for the pun) spot for this soap, as I remember the scent from when I was 4-5 years old and my father was using it. Now since rediscovering it, very luckily, over the past year, every time I smell it, it really brings me back to those times. Ahhhhh
[Image: fa439da73389ebf5f7e3d3100a68315a.jpg]
Is it morning yet?!?!

59 2,809
 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM
User Info
Today I used my Semogue 830 with the Mitchell's Wool Fat and had a great shave. I had no problem at all achieving a dense , thick lather that was quite slick enough to provide excellent protection from my newly honed and stropped Gold Dollar 300. I let the puck bloom for 10 minutes, while in the shower, with room temperature water and the Semogue had also soaked during my shower. I gave the brush the standard 3 shakes before lathering and loaded the brush for 30 seconds so everything was pretty much my normal routine. Tomorrow I'm going to change the brush to my Omega 6215 Silvertip Badger and see if any differences are noted. Have a great evening gents,
George

8 264
 05-17-2015, 09:30 AM
User Info
Quick notes on the CRSW Bergamot and Bay:

- Love the super wide mouth tin. Same one that Bufflehead uses. Loading wasn't as easy as I'd like since it seems the soap isn't hot poured into the tin. It was spinning around quite a bit.

- Once you get a good load, lathering is a piece of cake. The lather was very slick and dense, on par with my best performers.

- Love the scent. Gonna try to tease out the components this week, but the medley is wonderful.

16 1,027
 05-17-2015, 09:44 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Wrapped up the week with Strop Shoppe Russian Tea with Tallow and Lanolin yesterday.  As expected the lather was top notch as was the post shave feel, the scent is at a good level but it's not my favorite scent.  I could easily, though, use this soap straight through until its gone because the performance more than makes up for the mediocre scent.

Moving on to this week's soap, Mickey Lee "Through the Forest", another top tier artisan soap.  I loaded up my Rooney 2-band Stubby 3XL for thirty seconds and had enough lather for two of my regular 3-pass shaves.  The lather seems to be on par with Strop Shoppe, if not a tad easier to develop.  The scent of this soap is even farther out of my wheelhouse, but I will stick with it for six more days and post up my thoughts on post shave skin feel at that time.

144 2,749
 05-17-2015, 11:23 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Had a great start to week of shaves using the SAO soap!
Lather is slick and protective and my skin seems to like it much. Used my 22mm bulb Thater 4125. Worked great for this soap since it is a "mug size" and does not have a ton of surface area. So at the moment it just makes sense to use some of my small knots.
Glad to hear everyone else is enjoying themselves!

59 2,809
 05-17-2015, 03:02 PM
User Info
First time using Shannon's Soaps. Today is head-shave day. Thought a 20sec load with the TGC would be enough, but I had to go back to the tin for my 3rd pass and touch ups. For me, it performed on par with SSLE and CRSW. I look forward to spending some time with it this week and getting to know it better. As for scent, all I got was the menthol. I'll see if I can get the cedar wood throughout the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 107
 05-17-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
(05-17-2015, 03:02 PM)chill31613 Wrote: First time using Shannon's Soaps. Today is head-shave day. Thought a 20sec load with the TGC would be enough, but I had to go back to the tin for my 3rd pass and touch ups.  For me, it performed on par with SSLE and CRSW. I look forward to spending some time with it this week and getting to know it better. As for scent, all I got was the menthol. I'll see if I can get the cedar wood throughout the week.

Which scent is this, the winter seasonal?

16 1,027
 05-17-2015, 04:36 PM
User Info
(05-17-2015, 04:10 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Which scent is this, the winter seasonal?

Whoops! Yeah, it's the Woodland Frost

2 107
 05-17-2015, 04:52 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Even though I have moved on to a new soap to begin this week, I want to make a comment about the B&M Aromatique before I forget:
The scent is great! I already said that probably. But, I'm saying now, the scent has even evolved in the tub since I started using it. It started off in the tub with the hay absolute as the dominant force, and since then has evolved into more green notes and anise that I also love. And like a good fougere, it keeps you guessing as to all its intricacies.
My brushes smell INCREDIBLE, all those that I haven't lathered since using the Aromatique.

59 2,809
 05-17-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
(05-17-2015, 04:52 PM)Nero Wrote: Even though I have moved on to a new soap to begin this week, I want to make a comment about the B&M Aromatique before I forget:
The scent is great! I already said that probably. But, I'm saying now, the scent has even evolved in the tub since I started using it. It started off in the tub with the hay absolute as the dominant force, and since then has evolved into more green notes and anise that I also love. And like a good fougere, it keeps you guessing as to all its intricacies.
My brushes smell INCREDIBLE, all those that I haven't lathered since using the Aromatique.

Matt, I totally agree about the scent of the Aromatique, every time I break in a new brush I lather it up with it and let it sit for a few hours, it definitely goes a long way in de-dogging the new brushes, I catch myself sniffing the brush a few times afterwards, lol.

8 264
 05-18-2015, 03:23 AM
User Info
I' m in!
Starting tomorrow with Stirling Executive Man. The first two days with my Mühle synthetic brush because I'm on a work trip, and then a few days with my regular brushes.

0 89
 05-18-2015, 08:04 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Actually I think I misunderstood  the purpose  of the club. I have no problems or issues with any of my soaps or creams. I'm just joining in this for the discipline  of sticking to one soap for a week. My choice to start with is my bowl of vintage Yardley. I face lathered yesterday  and bowl lathered today. Used my Rooney 1/1 in best yesterday and my Rooney 3/1  today. Excellent shaves both with my birthday year/quarter Red Tip and a NOS Schick  Deluxe Krona  blade.

7 2,327
 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The Mickey Lee Soapworks is lathering extremely well, it has a chance to tie or takeover "Best Artisan Soap" from my Strop Shoppe soaps.  Got five more shaves to make that decision though.

144 2,749
 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
Day 2 with Shannon's Woodland Frost.  Same gear as yesterday (EJ DE89, Rapira Plat Lux (2), TGC brush).  Was a little congested ... so while the menthol was pleasant, it's all I got.  But, hey, still performed like a champ.  Just a face shave today, so the 20sec load was plenty.  

(05-18-2015, 08:04 AM)Mouser Wrote: Actually I think I misunderstood  the purpose  of the club. I have no problems or issues with any of my soaps or creams. I'm just joining in this for the discipline  of sticking to one soap for a week. My choice to start with is my bowl of vintage Yardley. I face lathered yesterday  and bowl lathered today. Used my Rooney 1/1 in best yesterday and my Rooney 3/1  today. Excellent shaves both with my birthday year/quarter Red Tip and a NOS Schick  Deluxe Krona  blade.

I don't think you've misunderstood.  I'm doing the same.  But I'm using this opportunity to get to know the soaps better, and my commentary is just to keep me interested and not lose track.  Because honestly - there's a B&M Vetyver Santal that just arrived in the mail Saturday that's begging for a whirl on the face lol.  

2 107
 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
I guess I have expanded the Soap a week and jut so happened to us the same software. The last 4 shaves have gone pretty great with the Saponificio Varesino Preshave Oil, Jabonman (old formula) Brisa De Oriente soap, and Jabonman Brisa De Oriente balsam aftershave.

day 1-Thater 2 Band

day 2-Plisson Syn

day 3-Plisson Syn

day 4-Morris and Forndran Blonde Badger

So far, I seem to have the better lather from the badgers. The synthetic seems to keep the lather underhydrated and I am starting to think this soap is a tad thirsty. I will continue using this soap 3 more time starting tomorrow.

79 1,338
 05-19-2015, 09:04 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-18-2015, 08:04 AM)Mouser Wrote: Actually I think I misunderstood  the purpose  of the club. I have no problems or issues with any of my soaps or creams. I'm just joining in this for the discipline  of sticking to one soap for a week.

You understand, it really is the single purpose. To have support, just knowing there are also others using "their own soap" multiple days in a row. Whatever else you want to add here just confirms that you are doing that.
If that means you want to use your best soap, go for it.
If that means you want to try using a soap that usually doesn't work for you, go for it.
First time using a soap, go for it.
This can just be a place where you store your notes after several continuous uses.
Maybe you just want to document the running tally of what you are using.
Maybe you want to see how many grams of soap per shave is used on average, per soap.
Maybe one soap is so good it doesn't need any prep. (Careful!)
I feel I know a lot about my soaps, but I also know that if I stick to one soap for a few days without rotating that I absolutely find out more. My list of open products is probably a dozen-dozen (12x12)...or, at least it was close before the recent sales I've had. So I've always rotated daily and never spent consecutive time with any of them (but a few).
EDIT: My hope for everyone is that your shaves just get better with each use...and to get understanding of each soaps' different limitations and preferences. That's my goal in a nutshell.

59 2,809
 05-19-2015, 09:42 AM
User Info
Day 3 with Shannon's Woodland Frost, second time using it on the head.  This is my first mentholated soap, and I really enjoy it on my head.  I'm not sure how this compares to the Sterling Glacials or CFG Cryogen, but the Woodland Frost has piqued my interest in mentholated soaps.  

I got the cedarwood today behind the menthol.  Lather was much of the same from my previous head shave.  

2 107
 05-19-2015, 01:41 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Here's my notes for the day:
SAO soap cuts close! And I can get a comfy BBS in 2 passes with minimal-to-no touch-ups. Plus, due to its moisturizing abilities, I haven't needed to use an aftershave product in 2 days. No splash, no balm, just wash my face and a cold water splash is all I need.

I might use the SAO cream as my next product next week and do a comparison (the scents are not alike at all, IMO).

59 2,809