03-14-2017, 09:07 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-13-2017, 06:39 PM)Nero Wrote: I'm going to stay on the AoS unscented tallow till further notice. It's been my best performing soap for a long time now and it continues to get better each time I use it, I don't get it! I'm going to see how much damage I can do to this.
[Image: 3d74381f5b2d34a7b3c856d7144e15c0.jpg]

I'm working on finishing off my AoS Tallow as well.  Mine is just a sliver at this point.  I would say you still have a few weeks of every day usage left, judging by your picture.  You are right on with the performance of this soap, it has protected me well as I hone my straight razor shaving technique.

142 2,713
 03-14-2017, 09:51 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-14-2017, 09:07 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 06:39 PM)Nero Wrote: I'm going to stay on the AoS unscented tallow till further notice. It's been my best performing soap for a long time now and it continues to get better each time I use it, I don't get it! I'm going to see how much damage I can do to this.
[Image: 3d74381f5b2d34a7b3c856d7144e15c0.jpg]

I'm working on finishing off my AoS Tallow as well.  Mine is just a sliver at this point.  I would say you still have a few weeks of every day usage left, judging by your picture.  You are right on with the performance of this soap, it has protected me well as I hone my straight razor shaving technique.

You are an intelligent man! Biggrin

59 2,657
 03-15-2017, 07:43 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: BHO9mP8.jpg]
I had to subsidize this sliver of AoS Tallow Sandalwood with a touch of AoS Sandalwood Cream, fabulous shave!

I think I am going to kill of the remnants of my Saponificio Varesino Manna which might take a couple of weeks, but will allow for a couple new soaps to be added to the rotation for the warmer seasons.

142 2,713
 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
You guys make me want to jump ahead to AoS tallow, but I will wait the two weeks and persist in my "purchase order".

Done with Blades Grim, which was better with the Maggard brush.

Next up - Razorock XXX, which is one of my favorite scents. I love the aftershave.

6 700
 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-15-2017, 07:43 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I had to subsidize this sliver of AoS Tallow Sandalwood with a touch of AoS Sandalwood Cream, fabulous shave!

I think I am going to kill of the remnants of my Saponificio Varesino Manna which might take a couple of weeks, but will allow for a couple new soaps to be added to the rotation for the warmer seasons.

Well after leveling out the SV Manna in it's dish I realized there is much more remaining than I thought, probably at least a month's worth and I don't want to commit to that.  I will use it for a few days though while I consider which soap to get back on track with the SAW theme this weekend.

142 2,713
 03-16-2017, 10:42 AM
User Info
I'm in for the next week or so with Jeeves of Hudson Street in the Cherry Blossom scent.  It's getting low, and the scent is fading, so I figure I might as well use it up. 

This morning was my second shave in a row with it.  Lathered it with a synthetic brush.  Shave was with my RFB NEW on a UFO Titan Fine L handle.  Two passes plus touch-up.   Good shave.  This soap lathers really well and smells amazing.  That's why I want to use it now because the scent is so wonderful.

2 1,422
 03-17-2017, 03:03 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I'm still good sticking to the AoS Unscented.

However I did cheat and used the Sandalwood yesterday (just to confirm if I still prefer Unscented... I do... hence my 3-for-2 trade offer on BST).

Back to using the Unscented till further notice!

59 2,657
 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Current visual:
[Image: 8a26114340fc84834b4972b1468448e6.jpg]

There will be a point before it's 100% gone that I remove the remaining soap from the bowl and just use it to wash my face until it's gone. I don't enjoy trying to load from soaps with holes in the bottom or, really, any scenario where I have to aim while loading, and I don't like the thought of hurting the tips of the brush hair just to say I killed a soap as intended. Power to those who go about it another way, I have no issues whatsoever with that, it's just not for me.
I'm thinking another week, maybe 10-12 days.

59 2,657
 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: N2zsfZo.jpg]

I'm going to spend the week with RR SMdF.  It is a perfect Winter/Spring transition soap as the tobacco scent mingles with the menthol.

142 2,713
 03-21-2017, 09:12 AM
User Info
When I get a big hole in the bottom of the soap, I remove the soap and push it back down into the middle of the container with a slight hump in the middle.  There are many, many more good shaves in the soap after that point.  

Since you're removing it anyway, you might as well just put it back into the container the way you like it and shave on.  Just my $0.02.

2 1,422
 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
I didn't have time for a good shave today, but RR XXX is soft so a quick load and a synthetic brush whipped up enough lather for my one pass WTG. it wasn't super slick but I didn't cut myself. I will probably shave again tonight to have a good three passes.

6 700
 03-21-2017, 03:18 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-21-2017, 09:12 AM)kingfisher Wrote: When I get a big hole in the bottom of the soap, I remove the soap and push it back down into the middle of the container with a slight hump in the middle.  There are many, many more good shaves in the soap after that point.  

Since you're removing it anyway, you might as well just put it back into the container the way you like it and shave on.  Just my $0.02.

Not a bad idea!!

59 2,657
 03-21-2017, 03:19 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-21-2017, 12:38 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I didn't have time for a good shave today, but RR XXX is soft so a quick load and a synthetic brush whipped up enough lather for my one pass WTG. it wasn't super slick but I didn't cut myself. I will probably shave again tonight to have a good three passes.

That's the spirit!!!!

59 2,657
 03-24-2017, 04:03 PM
User Info
I finished a week with Razorock and the most recent shave was not a great one. It isn't the slickest soap but great scent.

Next up is Haslinger Schafmilch. I know I can expect better shares next week.

6 700
 03-26-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 04:03 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I finished a week with Razorock and the most recent shave was not a great one. It isn't the slickest soap but great scent.

Next up is Haslinger Schafmilch. I know I can expect better shares next week.

The Haslinger shave was great as I expected. Schafmilch has an unappealing scent to me (the sheep's milk makes me think of barn animals which isn't my idea of a nice morning shave). So I've put some Razorock XXX aftershave in the bowl with it to hope it sucks up some of the scent. I know people have done this with Williams. HaslingerXXX would be so awesome if it works!!!

Also, I have only 14g of this soap left so I'm going to try and use it to completion. Haslinger is up there with everyone's beloved AoS tallow for me (I find it easier to load actually, and comparable shaves). So especially if the scent takes hold, I'm good Smile

Click below for my "In purchase order" shave history!
Code:
Week(s) of    Product
11/23/2016    AoS Sandalwood cream
12/02/2016    Proraso Sandalwood
12/10/2016    MW Vetiver & Oakmoss*
12/19/2016    Palmolive stick
12/25/2017    WSP Barbershop*
01/03/2017    TOBS Shaving Shop
01/14/2017    DRH Arlington
01/21/2017    DRH Windsor stick
01/28/2017    TOBS Avocado
02/05/2017    MLS Kraken*
02/13/2017    GFT Eucris
02/21/2017    Trader Joe's Shave Cream*
02/27/2017    B&M Leviathan
03/09/2017    Blades Grim Smolder
03/18/2017    Razorock XXX
03/26/2017    Haslinger Schafmilch
*Indicates new purchase which I used out of order

6 700
 03-27-2017, 03:26 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I've been venturing into staraights and took a break from Mikes Lavender. I found that TOBS Sandalwood cream stayed hydrated longer during my shave. Of course I could mess around with water ratio with Mikes, but I figured it wasn't the time to learn.

This week I am back to DEs and Mikes. My initial impression of mikes is that it's very good. It reminds me of Mystic Waters but not as slick and the post shave isn't as good. That being said, it is a lot easier to lather than MW. This week should be excellent as I fine tune the water ratio.

74 1,270
 03-27-2017, 03:38 AM
  • Nonick
  • Straight razor
  • Australia
User Info
This week I'm going to use LEA Classic. I find the hard soap similar to MWF and punches above it's price point. Great performance and nice soft oak moss scent! Easy to spend a week with

0 51
 03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
[Image: b89839d6ceec48b49ec489bad9baa612.jpg]

Still working on her.

59 2,657
 03-27-2017, 04:41 PM
  • Nonick
  • Straight razor
  • Australia
User Info
(03-27-2017, 04:24 PM)Nero Wrote: [Image: b89839d6ceec48b49ec489bad9baa612.jpg]

Still working on her.

A real patience builder

0 51
 03-28-2017, 06:04 AM
User Info
Well, I'm going beyond "soap a week" and moving into "3017" territory right now because I'm trying to use up a couple of soaps and a sample.  I wish this could be duplicated by anybody else, since it's the best shave lather I've ever been able to make, but it really can't be.  I'll explain why.  The lather is the combination of three soaps.  

Last year there was a forum member on another forum who called himself Rockclimber.  He got really into shave soap and decided to make some of his own.  He tried a variety of different formulas, and sent out small samples.  The very first tallow soap he made he called Tallow 1.0.  It had no coconut oil in it, a lot of tallow, and some butters.  It made a nice, rich, dense lather but took awhile to lather up.  It was, unfortunately, unscented.  I discovered that I had a little bit of this sample left over.  This is soap #1. 

Next, I had a puck of Jeeves of Hudson Street in the Cherry Blossom scent that I really enjoyed.  I was getting down to the end of the puck, to the point where the remaining soap was a ring around the outside of the container, with about 40-50% of the bottom of the container already empty.  This is soap #2. 

I ordered some hair oil/shampoo bars from Michelle at Mystic Water soaps, and she sent along a couple of samples, one of which is coconut-sandalwood.  It smells amazing.  This is soap #3. 

Normally, when my soaps get down to a ring of soap on the outside of the container, I take the soap up and pile it up in the center so I can continue using it, as I mentioned upthread.  In this case I had a sudden, lightning bolt of inspiration; instead of doing that, I took the Mystic Water sample and just filled in the hole with the MW soap.  So now I have the Jeeves of Hudson Street soap on the outside and it just merges/fuses with the MW soap that is filling the hole that was in the middle of the soap.  Lathering brings a combination of the MW coconut-sandalwood and the Jeeves Cherry Blossom, which makes for an incredible scent. 

OK, so how do I combine all three?  I begin lathering with the Rockclimber "tallow 1.0" sample.  When the brush has a pretty good load, I empty the brush contents into my lather bowl by scraping the brush on the inside of the bowl.  Then, I move to the combination of MW and Jeeves of Hudson Street and load up.  When the brush is good and loaded, I take it to the bowl and there combine it all into one lather.  

This is the most unctuous, rich, shiny, amazing lather I have ever made, and it smells wonderful.  I have decided to use this every day until it is gone.  I think the Rockclimber soap will be gone before the combo soap is, so I will soon go from a combination of 3 soaps to a combination of 2.  I'm sure it will still be an outstanding lather.  

Sorry for the long post, but I have never, ever been even remotely tempted to 3017 a soap before this.  I wish you guys could see, smell, and feel this lather, and feel what your face feels like after shaving with it.  It's phenomenal.

2 1,422