User Info
Sounds fun Gabe!

6 860
 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Last week with Old Spice was just plain fun.  I have several pucks and noticed there is different formulations so that will be another interesting long-term experiment to see if I can notice the difference (if there actually is any, ingredients list could have been changed due to regulations rather than formula changes).  Vintage soaps as a whole are always a pleasure and I have been lucky enough to purchase several.  I have a drawer full of NOS soaps and I should pull them out for a photo shoot one of these days, similar to what I've been doing with my shaving brush collection. 

This week I'm returning back to some modern soap, or cream I guess.
[Image: XTPbPOl.jpg]

While Queen Charlotte sold this as a cream it is definitely more in the soft soap category.  The Vetiver cream was my first exposure to vetiver as a fragrance and I fell in love immediately.  QC's take on Vetiver is woody and has a touch of citrus mixed in with the earthy version of the vetiver scent.  As always the lather is slick, protective and has top shelf post-shave qualities.  It's a shame that they left the soap making business, but fortunately there is no shortage of good artisan soap makers.

154 2,859
 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 05:23 AM)Nero Wrote: Mike, I think you need a full tub to load from. I've used probably 500 items by now and I can't think of one dozen things that do what you're looking for better than Reserve does: thick lather and post-shave.
Its one knock is that it's "difficult" (not automatic/hyper-obvious) finding the right amount to load (due to its consistency)... and that sounds like your actual issue too... I know what you're feeling/referring to.

I think you may be onto something, I'm maybe not loading enough. My B&M Latha & Glissant loads are in the 2-3g range, but I'm on shave 5 of your 13.4g sample and it isn't gone yet. Swirling over a 1.5" diameter 'pile' won't load as fast although it looks right to the eye. I did load more on shave #5 and it was thicker and accepted more water, although my trouble spot (chin stubble) didn't glide with Reserve as well as Glissant.

I had issues (meaning I wasn't impressed as most are) with a CRSW sample too, using the same bowl to load from. That 10g sample lasted 6 shaves (but I don't know what a 'typical' load would be for that soap). I will try to load a lot more Friday morning and see how it goes.

6 860
 11-19-2017, 11:27 PM
User Info
I wrapped up my 2 weeks with B&M Reserve, and I won't be ordering my own tub of it. I had protective shaves, it was fine, but didn't impress me as much as Will's Glissant base as I said above.

Next up is Geo F. Trumper Eucris.

But I'm already planning ahead, and in December I'm going to do a Sandalwood tour, and y'all are welcome to join me. I have both AOS tallow and cream, plus Proraso and Haslinger.

6 860
 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The last week with Queen Charlotte Vetiver shaving cream was pleasant, but I'm not as in love with the scent as I was when I first tried it.  It is no doubt a first class product though.

This week, for Thanksgiving, I figured it was time to break out something special:
[Image: tNeC906.jpg]

154 2,859
 11-25-2017, 03:24 PM
User Info
GFT Eucris wowed me today, which it has not previously done. How was everyone's black Friday? Any new additions?

6 860
 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Last week with La Toja Manantiales was enjoyable, but I wouldn't pay today's asking price for this soap.  I find it very similar, in fact, to the modern La Toja shaving stick.  The old shaving "bowl" is pretty cool though.

This week I am doing something I haven't done in a long time.  I'm using a shaving cream!  There have been several good deals on Castle Forbes lately and it is frequently mentioned in "Top Shaving Cream" lists.  I found a good deal on Castle Forbes products on ebay so figured, why not?  The first couple of shaves have been a bit of an eye-opener.  This stuff is S-L-I-C-K!  The lather consistency is much thicker or creamier than I am used to, but it still rinses off easily.  The ASB is nice in that it leaves my skin soft, without being tacky and the scent is pretty amazing.  The Pre Shave has been fun to use, but I'm not sure what it actually adds to the shave.  I will try a couple of days without it to see if I notice a difference.

[Image: MArqo7r.jpg]

154 2,859
 11-30-2017, 07:24 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(11-25-2017, 03:24 PM)Gig103 Wrote: GFT Eucris wowed me today, which it has not previously done. How was everyone's black Friday? Any new additions?

This is interesting. Did it keep performing well? I've always read that the newer formula is unlatherable.

79 1,439
 11-30-2017, 07:38 AM
User Info
I've joined in this week with a brand new tub of Stirling Peach that my wife gave me for my birthday (I asked for a sample, but she bought the whole tub).  I have used Stirling in the past but it has been several years.  

This version of Stirling is so.much.better. than the version I used before.  In fact, I'd say right now that the lather I am getting from this soap is as good as (if not better than) what I've ever gotten from any soap I've ever tried (been making lather with a shave brush over 360 days a year since about April of 2009).  It's that good. 

And the scent!  Well, I absolutely love peaches.  This stuff smells not just like peach flesh, but like peach flesh + peach skin.  You can almost feel how the fuzz feels in your mouth when you apply this lather.  Just awesome.

2 1,646
 11-30-2017, 08:42 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-30-2017, 07:24 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 03:24 PM)Gig103 Wrote: GFT Eucris wowed me today, which it has not previously done. How was everyone's black Friday? Any new additions?

This is interesting. Did it keep performing well? I've always read that the newer formula is unlatherable.

I was thinking Mike meant the cream (not the soap), but I could be wrong of course.

64 3,135
 11-30-2017, 12:34 PM
User Info
(11-30-2017, 07:24 AM)Gabe Wrote:

I have the cream, not the soap. I used it on a vacation since it's a 75ml tube (TSA safe) and will note that even the cream doesn't do as well at home in my hard water. Not bad just not as "explosive" of a lather and a little less slick.

Tomorrow, I start my month of Sandalwood!

6 860
 11-30-2017, 03:13 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
So far I am pretty impressed with the Castle Forbes cream.  As a dedicated fan of soaps I do miss the loading process, as odd as that sounds, but the slickness and post-shave skincare is worth it.  The lather is also a bit different than I am used to, much thicker and creamier lather is necessary as when thinned too much it disappears.  The thicker lather still rinses off the blade easily enough though.  I still have a couple of days left with this cream but I'm satisfied enough that I actually ordered a couple more to experiment with, hopefully they are as good as CF.

154 2,859
 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Last week: Castle Forbes = Great!

This week: Proraso Red Cream in tube...

A couple of shaves into the Proraso, my second time using this product since starting wet shaving but my first time using since moving to straight razors.  The lather is slick, slick, slick and the scent is pretty good.  It seems that I have caused some minor bleeding with both shaves, but I'm also using a couple of new-to-me razors that were honed by somebody else so that may be at play here.  The Proraso Red has shea butter in the ingredients which should lead to an excellent post-shave skin conditioning, but with the niks and weepers that I've experienced I haven't noticed.  I'll be focusing on both the blood letting and skincare properties for the rest of the week.  One thing is for sure though, this is slick stuff.

154 2,859
 12-04-2017, 04:27 PM
User Info
Alright another Sandalwood user! My AoS has been great so far. Proraso is on the agenda later in the month for me.

6 860
 12-05-2017, 09:37 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Just got my first tin of Mike's, couldn't be more excited! Had my first shave with it this morning, and I was beyond pleased with the performance. Especially since I don't know the soap base at all; I look forward to the rest of the week!

[Image: aPUlHcf.jpg]

9 527
 12-05-2017, 11:23 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-04-2017, 04:27 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Alright another Sandalwood user! My AoS has been great so far. Proraso is on the agenda later in the month for me.

Do you have the Proraso in tube or bowl?  I should have tried the bowl as I have used the tube before and have never tried a bowl.  Oh well, something for me to consider in the future.  As for Sandalwood, there isn't a better scent that I can think of that is more appropriate on a cold morning.

154 2,859
 12-05-2017, 11:27 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-05-2017, 09:37 AM)JRRIII Wrote: Just got my first tin of Mike's, couldn't be more excited! Had my first shave with it this morning, and I was beyond pleased with the performance. Especially since I don't know the soap base at all; I look forward to the rest of the week!

[Image: aPUlHcf.jpg]

Excellent stuff Jake!  I really, really like Mike's, the Barbershop scent being my favorite.

154 2,859
 12-05-2017, 06:39 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
CRSW Jeff's soap this week. I am going to try to finish it off. I may join you guys with TOBS Sandalwood next.

79 1,439
 12-05-2017, 11:06 PM
User Info
(12-05-2017, 11:23 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 04:27 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Alright another Sandalwood user! My AoS has been great so far. Proraso is on the agenda later in the month for me.

Do you have the Proraso in tube or bowl?  I should have tried the bowl as I have used the tube before and have never tried a bowl.  Oh well, something for me to consider in the future.  As for Sandalwood, there isn't a better scent that I can think of that is more appropriate on a cold morning.
I've only used the tube of Proraso, but have had red and green - much preferring the red.

6 860
 12-06-2017, 07:13 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Performance of the White tub has been surprisingly good for me. And it still has the nice menthol cooling effect of the Green, not sure if it is the same strength. Enjoyable, in any event.

64 3,135