01-04-2018, 11:37 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I started using DRH Almond. It's a nice subtle natural raw Almond scent. The lather is good but not great. Or at least not yet. It offers plenty of protection but lacks slickness. I will keep trying to dial it in.

79 1,419
 01-04-2018, 01:39 PM
User Info
(12-27-2017, 07:52 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 06:46 AM)bennett Wrote: /snip/ Starting this week today with Mikes Hungarian Lavender.

Day 1 - Mikes Hungarian Lavender

This is another stellar soap and one of my favorites. Feels like an old friend I've been using it for so long. I believe I'm remembering correctly in that this is the first artisan soap I purchased./snip/

Please post more of your experience with the Mike's.  I've used it off and on over many months and want to experience it as "stellar."  
For me, each time, it's "meh."

Just back from a enjoyable vacation. Fun in the sun and relaxation!

Mike's isn't the slickest soap or one having a great post shave but it is easy to use and above average in most categories. The trick to getting the most out of Mike's is to load like the dickens. Get plenty of soap on the brush and then add water. Don't overdo it with the water, it can take quite a bit but there is a point where it does break down. Cushion on Mike's is excellent, one of the best. Most of the scents I enjoy, pretty basic and not overly daring which I can appreciate. I've been using this soap for years and it's an easy going, easy shave every time.

0 174
 01-05-2018, 09:52 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(01-04-2018, 01:39 PM)bennett Wrote:
(12-27-2017, 07:52 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 06:46 AM)bennett Wrote: /snip/ Starting this week today with Mikes Hungarian Lavender.

Day 1 - Mikes Hungarian Lavender

This is another stellar soap and one of my favorites. Feels like an old friend I've been using it for so long. I believe I'm remembering correctly in that this is the first artisan soap I purchased./snip/

Please post more of your experience with the Mike's.  I've used it off and on over many months and want to experience it as "stellar."  
For me, each time, it's "meh."

Just back from a enjoyable vacation. Fun in the sun and relaxation!

Mike's isn't the slickest soap or one having a great post shave but it is easy to use and above average in most categories. The trick to getting the most out of Mike's is to load like the dickens. Get plenty of soap on the brush and then add water. Don't overdo it with the water, it can take quite a bit but there is a point where it does break down. Cushion on Mike's is excellent, one of the best. Most of the scents I enjoy, pretty basic and not overly daring which I can appreciate. I've been using this soap for years and it's an easy going, easy shave every time.

Welcome home!  I agree completely on Mike's, one of my favorites.  And yet, I struggle to keep it on hand.  When I have it I tend to use it regularly and then it's gone.  I then SHOULD re-order but I have so many other soaps [that don't perform as well] that I need to use and am stuck.  It's not that other soaps are so bad that it's tough to use them, it's just that I'm not as satisfied overall with them versus Mike's.

152 2,842
 01-05-2018, 06:01 PM
User Info
(01-04-2018, 11:37 AM)Gabe Wrote: I started using DRH Almond. It's a nice subtle natural raw Almond scent. The lather is good but not great. Or at least not yet. It offers plenty of protection but lacks slickness. I will keep trying to dial it in.

Stay with it!  I find DHR heap plenty slick.  ( or send it my way)

4 189
 01-06-2018, 08:42 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(01-05-2018, 06:01 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 11:37 AM)Gabe Wrote: I started using DRH Almond. It's a nice subtle natural raw Almond scent. The lather is good but not great. Or at least not yet. It offers plenty of protection but lacks slickness. I will keep trying to dial it in.

lol.. Staying with DRH Almond this week. 

[Image: xep9ce4.jpg]

79 1,419
 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-06-2018, 08:42 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 06:01 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote:

lol.. Staying with DRH Almond this week. 

[Image: xep9ce4.jpg]

It's the best performing DRH (due to the actual almond oil which is only present in this scent's composition)... so if you don't like this one, don't bother with their others.

62 3,091
 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Last week with Roger & Gallet L'Homme shaving soap was pretty interesting.  This French manufactured soap has some detergent ingredients added to a pretty traditional French triple milled soap base.  I wasn't expecting to be impressed, given the negative connotations usually associated with ingredients such as SLS.  However, the shaves were pretty nice with a great slickness and adequate protection.  The scent was faint, but had a nice classic masculine scent.  The one category I wasn't impressed with was the post shave moisturizing.  The R&G left my skin dry and required an aftershave balm application.  This means, to me, that this soap will be relegated to Summer use when my skin is more prone to oiliness rather than the Winter when my skin tends to be on the dry side (I apply moisturizer, daily, in the evenings during the colder months to avoid dry skin issues).  This isn't a soap that I will search out for more of, but I'm not going to kick it out of my rotation just yet either.

For this week's soap I am going with RazoRock Tuscan Oud.  This soap has an amazing scent and unfortunately just an average performance.  This soap require some post-shave assistance as well, but not nearly as drying as the R&G L'Homme.  The lack of performance means this soap will not be re-ordered, but the scent is nice enough to warrant using it up rather than instantly binning.

152 2,842
 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM
User Info
Finished up with the AoS tallow, and in doing so all my different sandalwood products. AoS is definitely thick as I said earlier, but doesn't win on the slickness front.

Next up - D.R. Harris Arlington, a classic, but one I haven't used in a year. I chose it intentionally to run back-to-back with the AoS to compare bases.

6 835
 01-12-2018, 11:15 PM
User Info
DRH isn't as slick as CRSW Glide, and Harris is pretty foamy when loading, too. I try to catch most of it to add to my face before lathering, but it's messy. Love Arlington's scent though and whipped up a thick lather. Also, something I can't say for all soaps, is that the lather didn't dissipate or collapse when I added water to the brush prior to the third pass (trying to up the slickness).

6 835
 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
DRH is a very good soap, but not great. The scent is also meh. I am going to keep with it a few more days.

79 1,419
 Yesterday, 08:52 AM
User Info
I tried DRH years ago based on positive reviews on the forum and found it meh at best.  It tended to lather up foamy for me.  Shaved OK but not great.  Many better options out there.  

For this week I've been using Hannah's soaps (made by Hannah Boone, Jason Boone's daughter--there is a thread in the Artisan Corner if you are not familiar).  I have been getting great shaves with this soap in version 7.4.  The scent on this one is a straightforward peppermint at perfect strength (not overpowering and not too weak).  There is a bit of face cooling from the peppermint but there is no menthol, so it's not a face freezer.  It lathers up really easily and makes a nice lather that shaves beautifully.

2 1,592
 Yesterday, 09:43 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I enjoy DRH, but it isn't a show stopper.  I would say it is at the bottom of what I would consider good, so good but not great.  I do really enjoy the scents of Windsor, Marlborough and Arlington very much though. 

Last week with RR Tuscan Oud was a struggle to get through.  The scent is amazing, but I found my shave quality suffered regardless of the lather's water content.  I tried thick, medium and thin lather and couldn't get the shave that I expect from my razors.  The post shave moisturizing is also lacking in this soap.  Into the bin for the small amount left.

This week I am finishing off the RR SMdF soap, which unlike the Tuscan Oud, I am able to get a very close shave with.  The scent on this one is also fantastic, so much so I bought the aftershave and EdP.  I enjoy everything about this soap, except for the container which requires a long lofted brush to reach the bottom. 

[Image: Nqsp98n.jpg]

152 2,842
 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I agree. Foamy lather that is good. I also enjoy the scent of Arlington. Maybe I should try the cream.

79 1,419
 Yesterday, 06:28 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Foamy, as in "bubbly"?
Or
Foamy, as in "similar to hair mousse"?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

62 3,091
 6 hours ago
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(Yesterday, 06:28 PM)Nero Wrote: Foamy, as in "bubbly"?
Or
Foamy, as in "similar to hair mousse"?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hair mousse is a perfect example. No matter how much I load, it goes to foam. It does offer good protection and adequate slickness. It's not a terrible soap. Just not something I would buy again as its not a top performer for me.

79 1,419