01-20-2018, 07:23 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
New soap this week. I recently came across a stash of GFT Violet soaps and couldn't pass them up. They are the Potassium Palmate version. GFT Violet was the first real soap I used when I started wetshaving years ago. It has been years since I finished my last puck. Since I had good results with the proven DRH, I decided to follow up with this soap to see if it performs as well as I remember. Off the bat, I already prefer the scent of GFT Violet over DRH Almond. It is a nice floral scent that I do not see used much. Not sure why, as it is fantastic. 

[Image: IBXSLnK.jpg]

84 1,519
 01-21-2018, 07:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-20-2018, 07:23 PM)Gabe Wrote: New soap this week. I recently came across a stash of GFT Violet soaps and couldn't pass them up. They are the Potassium Palmate version. GFT Violet was the first real soap I used when I started wetshaving years ago. It has been years since I finished my last puck. Since I had good results with the proven DRH, I decided to follow up with this soap to see if it performs as well as I remember. Off the bat, I already prefer the scent of GFT Violet over DRH Almond. It is a nice floral scent that I do not see used much. Not sure why, as it is fantastic. 

[Image: IBXSLnK.jpg]
Easily one of the best floral scents out there.

80 3,312
 01-24-2018, 09:32 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: JdplQN0.jpg]

Dreading this SOTW.  Not because I hate the soap, to the contrary it has been one of my favorites since I started wet shaving.  The dread is solely from the fact that this is my last tub and it is no longer produced.  There are several artisans that I hear make excellent alternatives, and I'm sure I'll end up trying others, but this was one of the pioneers in shaving soap artistry and they made excellent products.  The scent is top shelf, the performance is right there too.  The post-shave moisturizing is neutral, meaning my skin feels neither dry nor moisturized.  Since it's the winter and my skin trends towards being dry, I will follow this up with a nice ASB or moisturizing splash.

155 2,877
 01-24-2018, 04:28 PM
User Info
Baker Street was a great scent. Did you know Stirling acquired the scent and used it in their formulas now? Means you can get a matching balm or splash!

6 913
 01-25-2018, 08:49 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(01-24-2018, 04:28 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Baker Street was a great scent. Did you know Stirling acquired the scent and used it in their formulas now? Means you can get a matching balm or splash!

Thanks for the tip, heading to Stirling now.   Biggrin

155 2,877
 01-26-2018, 06:16 PM
User Info
I finished up a week with Chiseled Face Sherlock. This week it did fine but didn't wow me, even though I remember being really impressed last time I used it. *shrug*.
I love CF aftershaves though, great performance and long lasting scent!

Next up is Blades Grim Smolder - made by TTFFC (same artisan that makes Maggard soaps). I love this sweet, vanilla scent.

6 913
 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Finished up the week with Strop Shoppe... fantastic.

Starting off a new week with Castle Forbes Cedar & Sandalwood, so far so great!

155 2,877
 02-02-2018, 10:54 PM
User Info
Finished up with Blades Grim Smolder. I enjoyed the scent very much, and had good shaves with it. In my head it's like Razorock so to see if that's right, I am using Razorock XXX next week. Been a while since I've used the soap, but I grab the aftershave regularly.

6 913
 02-04-2018, 06:41 AM
User Info
Just finished a week with Haslingers tallow. Impressions after a week are it's a lower middle tier soap. About the only thing that really going for it are it's super easy to lather so I see where beginners like it and post shave is pretty good. Expensive stuff though. $9 plus shipping for two ounces translates to $18 for a four ounce size and with no container. 

Next up is a week with Wholly Kaw.

0 193
 02-04-2018, 10:17 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
GFT Violet (PP version) is a very good soap. I preferred it over DR Harris Almond in both scent and performance.

This week I will be witching to vintage Williams.

84 1,519
 02-04-2018, 02:29 PM
User Info
(02-04-2018, 06:41 AM)bennett Wrote: Just finished a week with Haslingers tallow. Impressions after a week are it's a lower middle tier soap. About the only thing that really going for it are it's super easy to lather so I see where beginners like it and post shave is pretty good. Expensive stuff though. $9 plus shipping for two ounces translates to $18 for a four ounce size and with no container. 

I'm a big Haslinger tallow fan, but you're right at Maggard/WCS pricing it isn't worth it over, say, Barrister & Mann. The key for us fans was to buy from overseas at ~$5/puck pricing. But now it's non-tallow. Sad

6 913
 02-05-2018, 07:53 AM
User Info
(02-04-2018, 02:29 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 06:41 AM)bennett Wrote: Just finished a week with Haslingers tallow. Impressions after a week are it's a lower middle tier soap. About the only thing that really going for it are it's super easy to lather so I see where beginners like it and post shave is pretty good. Expensive stuff though. $9 plus shipping for two ounces translates to $18 for a four ounce size and with no container. 

I'm a big Haslinger tallow fan, but you're right at Maggard/WCS pricing it isn't worth it over, say, Barrister & Mann. The key for us fans was to buy from overseas at ~$5/puck pricing. But now it's non-tallow. Sad

Funny you should mention B&M as I thought that Haslingers shared a lot of the same characteristics both being lower middle tier. I did not realize Haslingers moved away from tallow. Good thing we have a plethora of awesome soaps to choose from.

0 193
 02-05-2018, 08:41 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
CF Cedar and Sandalwood did not disappoint, a top shelf product!

I grabbed DR Harris Windsor for this week's shaves.  This is one of my favorite scents and the performance is just good enough to remain in my rotation.  There are some better performing soaps out on the market, but there are far more inferior products.  I know that DRH isn't for everybody, but once you get the lather dialed in (heavy load with several water additions for me, thirsty as they say) it is slick, protective and stays hydrated throughout the shave.

155 2,877
 02-10-2018, 12:24 AM
User Info
I finished my week with Razorock XXX, and had good shaves all week. For the money ($10) it's a competitive soap. I actually went out to see if it's still available since I traded to acquire for my current stock years ago. And the answer is not only 'yes', but they've updated the formula. I wonder how it compares.

Next up - an unobtanium - TOBS Shaving Shop. It's been discontinued but has a great clean scent, almost medicinal to me. The cream in the tub has dried up a lot, unsurprising with a purchase date of fall 2014... So when I use it, I load from it like a soap.

6 913
 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
DR Harris Windsor Soap provided another great week of shaves.  The soap performs best for me when lathered a bit on the wet side.  A longer than usual load followed by several water additions leaves a shiny goopey mess that is slick, stable and leaves my face feeling neither dry nor tacky.  I need to reiterate how great this soap smells.

For this week I am celebrating my return to shaving creams by opening a new pouch of Proraso Cypress and Vetyver.  This is the new Single Blade formulation and so far the cream is a phenomenal performer.  I don't notice too much improvement over the Proraso Sandalwood that is also in my rotation, but a back-to-back might be necessary to notice the subtle differences.  The scent of this cream is dark, similar to the Encre Noir that I am wearing today, though not as pungent.

155 2,877
 02-14-2018, 09:10 AM
User Info
I haven't been in this thread in a long time, but I have been using Stirling Peach every single day now for over two weeks.  It's because I am learning how to shave with a straight razor, and I thought I'd take one of the variables out.  

It's an amazing soap.  I LOVE the scent.  It smells just like a fresh peach.  And the lather is really great; slick, protective, glistening, and smooth.

3 1,787
 02-19-2018, 08:21 AM
User Info
Wow, what a great thread!  I'm on soap #45 in a soap review thread, and I've got some more soaps/reviews to plow through before I stick to one soap for a period of time.  Having said that, I think this is a great idea, and will participate when I run out of review soaps.  Until then, following this one with interest.

5 145
 02-19-2018, 08:20 PM
User Info
Wrapped up with TOBS Shaving Shop. I felt like the lather was good but I had some weepers on multiple shaves. Granted, I was using a pretty sharp blade (Gillette Platinum) but I still didn't expect that sort of damage after all these years. Wasn't even rushing the shaves.

Next up is some B&M Seville, new glissant formula.

6 913
 02-23-2018, 06:58 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I've been using vintage Williams. The scent is completely gone. There is just a faint natural soap scent remaining. It is a very good soap. If it were available like the current version is, it would be very difficult to find a better value. 

[Image: AybgiTq.jpg]

84 1,519
 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM
User Info
Gabe, 

I agree that vintage Williams is pretty incredible.  I picked up a puck of it an antique store for $5.  No discernible scent.  So I grated it and and some nice Lime aftershave to it, and then it had a very pleasant scent.  Still lathered up and shaved great.

3 1,787