03-28-2018, 12:00 PM
User Info
(03-27-2018, 07:55 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I've been two weeks with Latha Lavenda.  Sad to see the line discontinued.  For me Latha punches above its weight.  Slickness and cushion are on point and finding the soap/water ratio is easy.  It works well in my hard well water.  I've used it with badger, boar, and synth to good effect.  Two weeks was enough though so tomorrow I'll start a week with Caties Bubbles La Terre Verte.
I agree with all your sentiments on Latha. I also appreciated that the scents weren't exotic, experimental, or very polarizing. Hard to justify the $6+ increase for glissant (close to 2-for-1) and that's probably what killed it. I have about 1.5 left and almost bought even more!

6 939
 03-29-2018, 05:22 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(03-27-2018, 07:55 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I've been two weeks with Latha Lavenda.  Sad to see the line discontinued.  For me Latha punches above its weight.  Slickness and cushion are on point and finding the soap/water ratio is easy.  It works well in my hard well water.  I've used it with badger, boar, and synth to good effect.  Two weeks was enough though so tomorrow I'll start a week with Caties Bubbles La Terre Verte.

+1...It was an excellent soap for the price. I also loved the simple scents.

87 1,589
 04-02-2018, 07:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I'm sticking with my TOBS Sandalwood/CF Lavender mixture. I really enjoy the scent and performance.

87 1,589
 04-10-2018, 08:12 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The SV Manna/ DRH Windsor experiment was fun and it seems that the combination performed better than either two on their own, though I doubt I would buy both just to mix together.

Last week I took a road trip with the family down to the Redwood forest in Norther California, my soap of choice was a vintage Williams Shaving Stick.  The performance was phenomenal.  Better, I think, than the vintage pucks of Williams that I have tried in the past.

This week I am rotating through my three Art of Shaving creams to see which I am going to keep and which to move on.  My drawer has gotten crowded with my rediscovered appreciation for shaving creams and I have managed to overbuy.  The last two shaves were with the Oud scent, which gave excellent performance, but I'm not in love with the fragrance.  Tomorrow and Thursday will be with Sandalwood and I will finish off the week with the limited edition Kingsman.

155 2,878
 04-10-2018, 09:05 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
This week I am going with GFT Violet shave soap (potassium palmate version). I love the scent of this soap.

87 1,589
 04-10-2018, 12:47 PM
User Info
(04-10-2018, 09:05 AM)Gabe Wrote: This week I am going with GFT Violet shave soap (potassium palmate version). I love the scent of this soap.

Amen my brother!  Violets is off the hook.  Just by the name you would think "girlie". But that backdrop of whatever else is in there makes it awesome.

6 293
 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM
User Info
A week with Caties La Terre Verte was great.  Caties is so easy to lather and his scents are exquisite.  I'm spending the week with the new Leaf razor so I'll be mixing it up with soaps this week..

6 293
 04-14-2018, 06:15 AM
User Info
Been a bit since I've chimed in. As I last reported I'm working through a tube of TOBS Avocado and am 5 shaves in (75mL, I expect about 30 shaves total). I really like the scent and wish it would last longer (I barely even smell it on pass 3). The performance is constantly good but not super slick.

6 939
 04-14-2018, 06:18 AM
User Info
(04-10-2018, 08:12 AM)blzrfn Wrote: The SV Manna/ DRH Windsor experiment was fun and it seems that the combination performed better than either two on their own, though I doubt I would buy both just to mix together.

Last week I took a road trip with the family down to the Redwood forest in Norther California, my soap of choice was a vintage Williams Shaving Stick.  The performance was phenomenal.  Better, I think, than the vintage pucks of Williams that I have tried in the past.

This week I am rotating through my three Art of Shaving creams to see which I am going to keep and which to move on.  My drawer has gotten crowded with my rediscovered appreciation for shaving creams and I have managed to overbuy.  The last two shaves were with the Oud scent, which gave excellent performance, but I'm not in love with the fragrance.  Tomorrow and Thursday will be with Sandalwood and I will finish off the week with the limited edition Kingsman.
Assuming the performance is all equal, I'd rate those as (1) Sandalwood, (2) Oud, (3) many other AoS, (n+1) Kingsman. I dunno what it is about the bourbon one, it has a tobacco-ish note I think that puts me off. Not an illegitimate addition to a scent profile based on the "spy" motif it's based on, but not for me. Meanwhile, I almost purchased the Bourbon Amber cologne, that I like quite a bit (but still chose the Oud over it).

6 939
 04-14-2018, 11:48 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(04-14-2018, 06:18 AM)Gig103 Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 08:12 AM)blzrfn Wrote: The SV Manna/ DRH Windsor experiment was fun and it seems that the combination performed better than either two on their own, though I doubt I would buy both just to mix together.

Assuming the performance is all equal, I'd rate those as (1) Sandalwood, (2) Oud, (3) many other AoS, (n+1) Kingsman. I dunno what it is about the bourbon one, it has a tobacco-ish note I think that puts me off. Not an illegitimate addition to a scent profile based on the "spy" motif it's based on, but not for me. Meanwhile, I almost purchased the Bourbon Amber cologne, that I like quite a bit (but still chose the Oud over it).

I would say the performance on all is excellent, with my preference being 1: Sandalwood, 2: Kingsman and 3: Oud.  I haven't really experienced an Oud fragrance that I enjoy and the AoS is no exception.  The Kingsman definitely has some amber in it but is predominantly sweet and boozey.  Since I have a stockpile of Sandalwood soaps all three are going up for sale or trade shortly.

155 2,878
 04-22-2018, 09:42 PM
User Info
I'm back from my vacation! Here's a sample SOTD photo, but it was pretty much the same for three weeks (the gold tube is some Penhaligons cologne)

[Image: jNv9S5t.jpg]

Next up is some Haslinger Meeresalgen.

6 939
 04-30-2018, 07:55 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Last week I picked up Caties Bubbles Tonsorial Parlour. It is the early Italian Barber collaboration from years ago. It is the huge 8oz tub and will simply not go away. Smile

87 1,589
 05-06-2018, 10:06 PM
User Info
I had a fine week with Haslinger. This week is DRH Windsor. Started with a trip to Napa for my 10th wedding anniversary!

[Image: MDsZFRE.jpg]

6 939
 05-07-2018, 08:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-06-2018, 10:06 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I had a fine week with Haslinger. This week is DRH Windsor. Started with a trip to Napa for my 10th wedding anniversary!

[Image: MDsZFRE.jpg]

What a lovely razor. Congratulations on the anniversary. We are celebrating 10 years this June .

87 1,589
 05-08-2018, 09:14 PM
User Info
(05-07-2018, 08:28 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(05-06-2018, 10:06 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I had a fine week with Haslinger. This week is DRH Windsor. Started with a trip to Napa for my 10th wedding anniversary!
What a lovely razor. Congratulations on the anniversary. We are celebrating 10 years this June .
Thanks Gabe and a happy early anniversary to you!

I will report that DR Harris is giving very good shaves.

6 939
 05-13-2018, 09:40 PM
User Info
Over the last week I learned that the DRH is much happier with a synthetic brush over a natural boar. New week though, time for Palmolive cream. It is roughly on par with Proraso, possibly a little less quality and not as bold a scent. But I only paid €2 for it in Vienna!

6 939
 05-14-2018, 07:37 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-13-2018, 09:40 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Over the last week I learned that the DRH is much happier with a synthetic brush over a natural boar. New week though, time for Palmolive cream. It is roughly on par with Proraso, possibly a little less quality and not as bold a scent. But I only paid €2 for it in Vienna!

I enjoyed my weeks with Palmolive. It was the European version in the red tube.

87 1,589
 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
User Info
(05-14-2018, 07:37 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 09:40 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Over the last week I learned that the DRH is much happier with a synthetic brush over a natural boar. New week though, time for Palmolive cream. It is roughly on par with Proraso, possibly a little less quality and not as bold a scent. But I only paid €2 for it in Vienna!

I enjoyed my weeks with Palmolive. It was the European version in the red tube.

Hrm - mine is a green tube; I checked another forum which says the red is from Italy and may be a different formula for the harder water. I have hard water here in AZ and the green has been fine. In general I really like Palmolive (the sticks even more than the cream).

What are you shaving with these days, Gabe? Nero? Anyone else doing a S-A-W?

6 939
 05-17-2018, 06:40 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Too many acquisitions to commit to a SAW! Some day though!

80 3,342
 05-17-2018, 08:30 AM
User Info
(05-17-2018, 06:40 AM)Nero Wrote: Too many acquisitions to commit to a SAW! Some day though!

Haha, but you started this!

6 939