05-17-2018, 01:27 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(05-17-2018, 08:30 AM)Gig103 Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 06:40 AM)Nero Wrote: Too many acquisitions to commit to a SAW! Some day though!

Haha, but you started this!
I know... It's ironic especially if you read the OP again Smile

82 3,434
 05-19-2018, 05:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-16-2018, 09:27 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 07:37 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 09:40 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Over the last week I learned that the DRH is much happier with a synthetic brush over a natural boar. New week though, time for Palmolive cream. It is roughly on par with Proraso, possibly a little less quality and not as bold a scent. But I only paid €2 for it in Vienna!

I enjoyed my weeks with Palmolive. It was the European version in the red tube.

Hrm - mine is a green tube; I checked another forum which says the red is from Italy and may be a different formula for the harder water. I have hard water here in AZ and the green has been fine. In general I really like Palmolive (the sticks even more than the cream).

What are you shaving with these days, Gabe? Nero? Anyone else doing a S-A-W?

I'm still here.  Smile  I've been going 2+ weeks with soaps/cream. This week I am using TOBS Sandalwood/CF Lavender mix. I added a big scoop of CF Lavender to my TOBS Sandalwood cream. The mix is awesome. It changed the scent so it feels like a new cream. TOBS performs great, but I always get bored with the scent (any soap actually). This took care of that problem without adding more stuff to my shelf.

90 1,670
 05-23-2018, 10:58 PM
User Info
I almost skipped my list for Mike's (a thread got me thinking about it) but I stuck with my plan (the no-repeats) and am on WSP Barbershop this week.

6 992
 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It's been a while since I posted here, or anywhere, but I'm still sticking with the plan!

I'm currently using I Coloniali Rhubarb Softening Shaving Cream which is nice, but not quite as nice as the soap.

Other recent weekly choices were: 

Trumper Sandalwood (Potassium Palmate first version) - Great soap, but not quite as good as the old tallow formulas.  Leaps and bounds ahead of their modern offerings.

Strop Shoppe Black Tie - This is my last soap from SS and it is a true gem.  It takes a little more time to load than I would expect of a soft soap, but it does reward with the most stable lather I could ask for, a killer scent and it makes my skin feel smooth as silk.

156 2,878
 05-31-2018, 05:52 PM
User Info
I started with Mystic Waters today. Last time I used it I was amazed by the post-shave but not crazy about the lather itself. Today, though, it was a successful lather! Yay, maybe this week won't be so bad and maybe I'll learn this soap well enough to buy more - because the post-shave is unparalleled, even compared to GLIDE (which has the better slickness during the actual shave).

6 992
 06-01-2018, 07:14 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-31-2018, 05:52 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I started with Mystic Waters today. Last time I used it I was amazed by the post-shave but not crazy about the lather itself. Today, though, it was a successful lather! Yay, maybe this week won't be so bad and maybe I'll learn this soap well enough to buy more - because the post-shave is unparalleled, even compared to GLIDE (which has the better slickness during the actual shave).

Please figure this soap out as I've given up on it. I love the post shave, slickness and her scents. However, it's a hassle to lather in our water. As I recall I live down the road from you. I'd love to read your technique and if you're doing something I'm not. I even had a little help from Celestino who has a couple of pucks of MW.

90 1,670
 06-03-2018, 05:11 PM
User Info
(06-01-2018, 07:14 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 05:52 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I started with Mystic Waters today. Last time I used it I was amazed by the post-shave but not crazy about the lather itself. Today, though, it was a successful lather! Yay, maybe this week won't be so bad and maybe I'll learn this soap well enough to buy more - because the post-shave is unparalleled, even compared to GLIDE (which has the better slickness during the actual shave).

Please figure this soap out as I've given up on it. I love the post shave, slickness and her scents. However, it's a hassle to lather in our water. As I recall I live down the road from you. I'd love to read your technique and if you're doing something I'm not. I even had a little help from Celestino who has a couple of pucks of MW.

What I'm learning so far is that less water is better. My first shave was rushed before work and that's when I reported a successful shave. The second time I was trying to add more water to improve the slickness, and instead the lather went foamy and collapsed. I started from scratch, and kept it a little more pasty and it stayed stable, including for a second pass. Definitely not B&M or CRSW slickness, probably because it doesn't like our hard water, but for my skin it was passable. No aftershave needed.

6 992
 06-03-2018, 08:15 PM
User Info
Not less water, but water added slowly...

29 1,500
 06-12-2018, 10:04 PM
User Info
I'm done w/ MW and no longer have collapsing foamy lather, but it's still not in top for slickness (except post shave). My synthetic brush helped too.

This week is Arko Moist cream - I had a good shave but it seems to have lost even the mild menthol it used to have.

6 992
 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM
User Info
A week just finished with B&M Diamond. Like everything about this soap. The scent was not the “ballpark” I was expecting. Smells more like the bleachers than the grass. Truly has grown on me though and I find myself anticipating my shave. Perhaps I’ll stick with it as it looks to only have about a week left.

6 323
 06-15-2018, 05:16 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Caties Bubbles Italian Barber Tonsorial Parlour, the big 8oz tub from the original release. I transferred it to another container for easier loading. 

[Image: XtKPvVM.jpg]

90 1,670
 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM
User Info
(06-12-2018, 10:04 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I'm done w/ MW and no longer have collapsing foamy lather, but it's still not in top for slickness (except post shave). My synthetic brush helped too.

This week is Arko Moist cream - I had a good shave but it seems to have lost even the mild menthol it used to have.

I've decided to keep going with the Arko. The shaves are fine, nothing exemplary, I may even 3017 what's left of this tube just for the sense of satisfaction. It's pretty darn close to Palmolive, both are cheap 100mL creams (TSA safe), and both have a basic "soapy" scent. But if they were both on the shelf side by side, I'd grab the Palmolive.

6 992
 06-20-2018, 08:52 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
This week it's CRSW Savon No1. Awesome performance and a great scent. Very French. I wish I had LPL Traditional on hand to compare it to, as the scent is very similar if I remember correctly.

90 1,670
 06-21-2018, 12:07 AM
User Info
(06-20-2018, 08:52 PM)Gabe Wrote: This week it's CRSW Savon No1. Awesome performance and a great scent. Very French. I wish I had LPL Traditional on hand to compare it to, as the scent is very similar if I remember correctly.

Do you have Agua Balsamica from Myrsol?

83 1,589
 06-21-2018, 04:34 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(06-21-2018, 12:07 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 08:52 PM)Gabe Wrote: This week it's CRSW Savon No1. Awesome performance and a great scent. Very French. I wish I had LPL Traditional on hand to compare it to, as the scent is very similar if I remember correctly.

Do you have Agua Balsamica from Myrsol?

Nope. I've never tried a Myrsol product. Is it similar?

90 1,670
 06-21-2018, 11:03 PM
User Info
(06-21-2018, 04:34 PM)Gabe Wrote: Nope. I've never tried a Myrsol product. Is it similar?

The aforementioned bottle uses Alcohol (Denatured) , Water, Rosmarinus officinalis, Thymus vulgaris, Lavandula latifolia, and sorbitol. It is something that you may like. Think of a simple a refreshing splash with an herby finish which would be a nice finish after Savon No. 1 from CRSW, Mike's Hungarian Lavender, Barrister and Mann Lavanda, Speick, Le Pere Lucien Traditionnel, MDC original or Fougere, SV Felce Aromatica as well as many more I am sure! Wink

I would say in my use it was very versatile and I did end up finishing up a bottle. The altered flask glass bottle is worth noting. Very classy and fun to hold while you get ready to shake and pour out your aftershave.

83 1,589
 06-24-2018, 11:11 PM
User Info
I'm starting my third week with Arko Moist. I have it pretty well dialed in and had a very good shave tonight.

6 992
 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM
User Info
It's been a long time since I've gone a week with one soap. For years it was one soap for months, until it was all gone.
I used C.R. Salter, Indian Sandalwood this morning....so that will be the one I use all week.  Rolleyes

0 755
 07-01-2018, 12:27 PM
User Info
It's been over two weeks with Arko. I took a day off for some DR Harris, but back to Arko the rest of the week - still trying to finish it off.

6 992
 07-07-2018, 12:53 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I did 2 1/2 weeks with Savon No. 1. It is a fantastic soap. Dare I say the BEST soap... Number_one  Obviously, this is subjective. 
From website:
A classic scent comprised of French Lavender, Atlas Cedarwood and Rosemary essential oils. Timeless, earthy and herbal, a scent a man can use every day!

For reference, my top soap is Valobra triple milled. It has the best overall performance in my book. Here is my comparison of these two soaps. 

To start, the scents on Valobra don't hold a candle to Larry's scents. There really isn't a comparison to be made. 

In terms of performance, CRSW is equally as slick and has comparable cushion. Each holds their own in these areas. 

The icing on the cake is the post shave feel of CRSW. This particular formula has awesome post shave feel. This is another area where CRSW surpasses Valobra. It is very nourishing. After my shave, I applied the leftover lather onto my face while I cleaned up. After rinsing, I did not need any aftershave. Of course, I splashed on a healthy amount as I like to smell good.  Biggrin

I can not keep up with formula variations. This particular soap is Select and has organic goat milk as the first ingredient followed by tallow. I included a picture as some labels are different and this may be a clue to formula. 

This was an enjoyable two weeks with CRSW. Before we start disagreeing about the "best soap", this is MY comparison to a highly regarded soap (Valobra). This is just my opinion, and this review is just for funsies. If any of you have this formula, I would love to read your thoughts. Afterall, this is what this thread is about. (funsies) 

[Image: 4Q8zSOk.jpg]

90 1,670