05-17-2018, 01:27 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-17-2018, 08:30 AM)Gig103 Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 06:40 AM)Nero Wrote: Too many acquisitions to commit to a SAW! Some day though!

Haha, but you started this!
I know... It's ironic especially if you read the OP again Smile

80 3,322
 05-19-2018, 05:28 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-16-2018, 09:27 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 07:37 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 09:40 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Over the last week I learned that the DRH is much happier with a synthetic brush over a natural boar. New week though, time for Palmolive cream. It is roughly on par with Proraso, possibly a little less quality and not as bold a scent. But I only paid €2 for it in Vienna!

I enjoyed my weeks with Palmolive. It was the European version in the red tube.

Hrm - mine is a green tube; I checked another forum which says the red is from Italy and may be a different formula for the harder water. I have hard water here in AZ and the green has been fine. In general I really like Palmolive (the sticks even more than the cream).

What are you shaving with these days, Gabe? Nero? Anyone else doing a S-A-W?

I'm still here.  Smile  I've been going 2+ weeks with soaps/cream. This week I am using TOBS Sandalwood/CF Lavender mix. I added a big scoop of CF Lavender to my TOBS Sandalwood cream. The mix is awesome. It changed the scent so it feels like a new cream. TOBS performs great, but I always get bored with the scent (any soap actually). This took care of that problem without adding more stuff to my shelf.

87 1,549
 05-23-2018, 10:58 PM
User Info
I almost skipped my list for Mike's (a thread got me thinking about it) but I stuck with my plan (the no-repeats) and am on WSP Barbershop this week.

6 923
 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It's been a while since I posted here, or anywhere, but I'm still sticking with the plan!

I'm currently using I Coloniali Rhubarb Softening Shaving Cream which is nice, but not quite as nice as the soap.

Other recent weekly choices were: 

Trumper Sandalwood (Potassium Palmate first version) - Great soap, but not quite as good as the old tallow formulas.  Leaps and bounds ahead of their modern offerings.

Strop Shoppe Black Tie - This is my last soap from SS and it is a true gem.  It takes a little more time to load than I would expect of a soft soap, but it does reward with the most stable lather I could ask for, a killer scent and it makes my skin feel smooth as silk.

155 2,878
 05-31-2018, 05:52 PM
User Info
I started with Mystic Waters today. Last time I used it I was amazed by the post-shave but not crazy about the lather itself. Today, though, it was a successful lather! Yay, maybe this week won't be so bad and maybe I'll learn this soap well enough to buy more - because the post-shave is unparalleled, even compared to GLIDE (which has the better slickness during the actual shave).

6 923
 06-01-2018, 07:14 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-31-2018, 05:52 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I started with Mystic Waters today. Last time I used it I was amazed by the post-shave but not crazy about the lather itself. Today, though, it was a successful lather! Yay, maybe this week won't be so bad and maybe I'll learn this soap well enough to buy more - because the post-shave is unparalleled, even compared to GLIDE (which has the better slickness during the actual shave).

Please figure this soap out as I've given up on it. I love the post shave, slickness and her scents. However, it's a hassle to lather in our water. As I recall I live down the road from you. I'd love to read your technique and if you're doing something I'm not. I even had a little help from Celestino who has a couple of pucks of MW.

87 1,549
 06-03-2018, 05:11 PM
User Info
(06-01-2018, 07:14 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 05:52 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I started with Mystic Waters today. Last time I used it I was amazed by the post-shave but not crazy about the lather itself. Today, though, it was a successful lather! Yay, maybe this week won't be so bad and maybe I'll learn this soap well enough to buy more - because the post-shave is unparalleled, even compared to GLIDE (which has the better slickness during the actual shave).

Please figure this soap out as I've given up on it. I love the post shave, slickness and her scents. However, it's a hassle to lather in our water. As I recall I live down the road from you. I'd love to read your technique and if you're doing something I'm not. I even had a little help from Celestino who has a couple of pucks of MW.

What I'm learning so far is that less water is better. My first shave was rushed before work and that's when I reported a successful shave. The second time I was trying to add more water to improve the slickness, and instead the lather went foamy and collapsed. I started from scratch, and kept it a little more pasty and it stayed stable, including for a second pass. Definitely not B&M or CRSW slickness, probably because it doesn't like our hard water, but for my skin it was passable. No aftershave needed.

6 923
 06-03-2018, 08:15 PM
User Info
Not less water, but water added slowly...

29 1,378
 06-12-2018, 10:04 PM
User Info
I'm done w/ MW and no longer have collapsing foamy lather, but it's still not in top for slickness (except post shave). My synthetic brush helped too.

This week is Arko Moist cream - I had a good shave but it seems to have lost even the mild menthol it used to have.

6 923
 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM
User Info
A week just finished with B&M Diamond. Like everything about this soap. The scent was not the “ballpark” I was expecting. Smells more like the bleachers than the grass. Truly has grown on me though and I find myself anticipating my shave. Perhaps I’ll stick with it as it looks to only have about a week left.

6 291
 06-15-2018, 05:16 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Caties Bubbles Italian Barber Tonsorial Parlour, the big 8oz tub from the original release. I transferred it to another container for easier loading. 

[Image: XtKPvVM.jpg]

87 1,549
 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM
User Info
(06-12-2018, 10:04 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I'm done w/ MW and no longer have collapsing foamy lather, but it's still not in top for slickness (except post shave). My synthetic brush helped too.

This week is Arko Moist cream - I had a good shave but it seems to have lost even the mild menthol it used to have.

I've decided to keep going with the Arko. The shaves are fine, nothing exemplary, I may even 3017 what's left of this tube just for the sense of satisfaction. It's pretty darn close to Palmolive, both are cheap 100mL creams (TSA safe), and both have a basic "soapy" scent. But if they were both on the shelf side by side, I'd grab the Palmolive.

6 923