User Info
Sounds fun Gabe!

6 776
 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Last week with Old Spice was just plain fun.  I have several pucks and noticed there is different formulations so that will be another interesting long-term experiment to see if I can notice the difference (if there actually is any, ingredients list could have been changed due to regulations rather than formula changes).  Vintage soaps as a whole are always a pleasure and I have been lucky enough to purchase several.  I have a drawer full of NOS soaps and I should pull them out for a photo shoot one of these days, similar to what I've been doing with my shaving brush collection. 

This week I'm returning back to some modern soap, or cream I guess.
[Image: XTPbPOl.jpg]

While Queen Charlotte sold this as a cream it is definitely more in the soft soap category.  The Vetiver cream was my first exposure to vetiver as a fragrance and I fell in love immediately.  QC's take on Vetiver is woody and has a touch of citrus mixed in with the earthy version of the vetiver scent.  As always the lather is slick, protective and has top shelf post-shave qualities.  It's a shame that they left the soap making business, but fortunately there is no shortage of good artisan soap makers.

145 2,808
 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 05:23 AM)Nero Wrote: Mike, I think you need a full tub to load from. I've used probably 500 items by now and I can't think of one dozen things that do what you're looking for better than Reserve does: thick lather and post-shave.
Its one knock is that it's "difficult" (not automatic/hyper-obvious) finding the right amount to load (due to its consistency)... and that sounds like your actual issue too... I know what you're feeling/referring to.

I think you may be onto something, I'm maybe not loading enough. My B&M Latha & Glissant loads are in the 2-3g range, but I'm on shave 5 of your 13.4g sample and it isn't gone yet. Swirling over a 1.5" diameter 'pile' won't load as fast although it looks right to the eye. I did load more on shave #5 and it was thicker and accepted more water, although my trouble spot (chin stubble) didn't glide with Reserve as well as Glissant.

I had issues (meaning I wasn't impressed as most are) with a CRSW sample too, using the same bowl to load from. That 10g sample lasted 6 shaves (but I don't know what a 'typical' load would be for that soap). I will try to load a lot more Friday morning and see how it goes.

6 776
 11-19-2017, 11:27 PM
User Info
I wrapped up my 2 weeks with B&M Reserve, and I won't be ordering my own tub of it. I had protective shaves, it was fine, but didn't impress me as much as Will's Glissant base as I said above.

Next up is Geo F. Trumper Eucris.

But I'm already planning ahead, and in December I'm going to do a Sandalwood tour, and y'all are welcome to join me. I have both AOS tallow and cream, plus Proraso and Haslinger.

6 776
 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The last week with Queen Charlotte Vetiver shaving cream was pleasant, but I'm not as in love with the scent as I was when I first tried it.  It is no doubt a first class product though.

This week, for Thanksgiving, I figured it was time to break out something special:
[Image: tNeC906.jpg]

145 2,808