05-01-2019, 06:08 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(04-30-2019, 09:10 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 01:06 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 09:56 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I wrapped up the remnants of my AOS Sandalwood cream - still consistently awesome.
I grabbed my Palmolive Stick for the next week or two; it's also pretty creamy lather. I'm glad I have 7 or so sticks in a closet since it was apparently discontinued.

Are you planning on stocking up?

I considered it when the post first came up because I could shave with it almost full-time. But no, I think 7 sticks will suffice for me, considering the size of my 'inventory'. I mean, I have 7 B&M tubs and 3 AoS tallow pucks, plus 26 other soaps/creams.

Very true. I see the prices have increased dramatically since the announcement. One of the appeals was the budget friendly price tag.

100 1,967
 05-01-2019, 10:07 PM
User Info
(05-01-2019, 06:08 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 09:10 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 01:06 AM)Gabe Wrote: Are you planning on stocking up?

I considered it when the post first came up because I could shave with it almost full-time. But no, I think 7 sticks will suffice for me, considering the size of my 'inventory'. I mean, I have 7 B&M tubs and 3 AoS tallow pucks, plus 26 other soaps/creams.

Very true. I see the prices have increased dramatically since the announcement. One of the appeals was the budget friendly price tag.

I agree about it being formerly budget friendly. I can't think of a better soap at under a dollar (I paid £0.49 at a London Tesco in 2014). Some would tell me Arko but I was never a fan, even putting aside the scent.

6 1,082
 05-27-2019, 07:40 PM
User Info
Today was my last day with Palmolive... Not because it's gone, but because after a month I finally am ready for something new.

I think it's time to hop from one favorite directly to another -- B&M Latha Oceana.

6 1,082
 05-28-2019, 03:54 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I'm still plodding along with RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore. I like the scent and the light menthol kick. The menthol i done absolutely right. The performance is just okay. I find that using it with a DE, I get good results. For my straight razors, I could really use better performance. The lather also has some small pieces of soap. No matter how much I work the lather, I always have a few pieces.

I am also ready for something else. I will be using a big boar for the rest of it's shaves. That should speed things up.

100 1,967
 06-09-2019, 05:52 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-28-2019, 03:54 PM)Gabe Wrote: I'm still plodding along with RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore. I like the scent and the light menthol kick. The menthol i done absolutely right. The performance is just okay. I find that using it with a DE, I get good results. For my straight razors, I could really use better performance. The lather also has some small pieces of soap. No matter how much I work the lather, I always have a few pieces.

I am also ready for something else. I will be using a big boar for the rest of it's shaves. That should speed things up.
I honestly believe the RR and TFS soaps with lanolin have NO slickness whatsoever.
Much better without. Ymmv.

91 3,778
 06-28-2019, 11:14 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I finished RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore today. It lasted two months. I has trouble with little granules in the soap. I fixed that by using less pressure when lathering. After that issue was solved, it turned out to be a good soap. I would say better than average.

Up next is DR Harris Twenty Nine cream.

I went with Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet cream. The scent of BB is perfect for a hot summer day.

100 1,967
 06-30-2019, 02:55 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Nice call on the BB cream, Gabe.
Excellent scent!

91 3,778
 07-11-2019, 09:02 PM
User Info
(06-28-2019, 11:14 PM)Gabe Wrote: I finished RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore today. It lasted two months. I has trouble with little granules in the soap. I fixed that by using less pressure when lathering. After that issue was solved, it turned out to be a good soap. I would say better than average.

I went with Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet cream. The scent of BB is perfect for a hot summer day.

You inspired me to switch to Penhaligon's too, even though mine is Sartorial which is a deeper scent and not very summery. Apparently (according to the thread) I was using B&M Latha for over a month :o

6 1,082
 07-13-2019, 06:30 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(07-11-2019, 09:02 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 11:14 PM)Gabe Wrote: I finished RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore today. It lasted two months. I has trouble with little granules in the soap. I fixed that by using less pressure when lathering. After that issue was solved, it turned out to be a good soap. I would say better than average.

You inspired me to switch to Penhaligon's too, even though mine is Sartorial which is a deeper scent and not very summery. Apparently (according to the thread) I was using B&M Latha for over a month :o

Shame he discontinued the Latha line. They were a great value. The Pens performance is average. The Latha performs better IMO. The scent is where Pens really shines.

100 1,967
 07-15-2019, 10:08 PM
User Info
(07-13-2019, 06:30 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 09:02 PM)Gig103 Wrote:

Shame he discontinued the Latha line. They were a great value. The Pens performance is average. The Latha performs better IMO. The scent is where Pens really shines.

I'd be more generous and say Penhaligons is slightly above average. I would say it performs more like AOS than TOBS, and definitely better than Proraso. But Latha was top tier so it's a tough comparison. It's also new to me, I am still dialing it in. I have the Sartorial puck too in the closet, bought it here on TSN but am not sure when I'll open it.

6 1,082
 08-07-2019, 12:12 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Finished off the Pen's BB. Next up is Valobra Lavanda. First impression was a good one. 

[Image: sM3rT1J.jpg]

100 1,967
 08-07-2019, 04:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Where did you find Valobra Lavanda? Never seen it before.

91 3,778
 08-07-2019, 05:21 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-07-2019, 04:32 PM)Nero Wrote: Where did you find Valobra Lavanda? Never seen it before.

From a very generous member here. It was a limited edition from 2011. There is little information about it. 

One thread on TSN.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=94&highlight=valobra+lavanda

100 1,967
 08-09-2019, 10:00 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(08-07-2019, 05:21 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 04:32 PM)Nero Wrote: Where did you find Valobra Lavanda? Never seen it before.

From a very generous member here. It was a limited edition from 2011. There is little information about it. 

One thread on TSN.

Cool, thanks.
How do you like the soft soap compared to the hard pucks? (It's been a LONG time since I used those Almond or Menthol soft soaps.)

91 3,778
 08-09-2019, 11:28 AM
User Info
I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned what I am writing here, but I just found this post / forum and though I would mention that apart from learning more about the qualities of a soap/cream, by using it for several days in a row, it is also a very good way for people with sensitive skin to determine if a new soap is hurting your skin. A while ago, I wrote a post about having issues with Body shop maca root shaving cream. After using it exclusively for a few days and then following that up with using another known (to me and my skin) cream for several days, I was able to determine that the Body shop maca root cream was doing significant harm to my skin and causing terrible acne and skin rashes. Eliminating the maca root from use removed most of acne and rashes I was experiencing. 

Now when I buy a new soap / cream that I have never used, I start its use by using it exclusively for several days until I feel comfortable with it. I use the same principle with aftershave balms as well. I have had bad skin reactions to stirling soap company shaving balms and also crown shaving company shave balms.

0 68
 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-09-2019, 10:00 AM)Nero Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 05:21 PM)Gabe Wrote:

One thread on TSN.

Cool, thanks.
How do you like the soft soap compared to the hard pucks? (It's been a LONG time since I used those Almond or Menthol soft soaps.)

Too early to tell. I love the performance of the hard pucks. The scent however goes to this soft soap. It does not have that base scent, that some compare to wet cardboard paper, that the hard pucks has. I have not used other Valobra soft soaps.

100 1,967
 08-09-2019, 12:52 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(08-09-2019, 11:28 AM)meshave Wrote: I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned what I am writing here, but I just found this post / forum and though I would mention that apart from learning more about the qualities of a soap/cream, by using it for several days in a row, it is also a very good way for people with sensitive skin to determine if a new soap is hurting your skin. A while ago, I wrote a post about having issues with Body shop maca root shaving cream. After using it exclusively for a few days and then following that up with using another known (to me and my skin) cream for several days, I was able to determine that the Body shop maca root cream was doing significant harm to my skin and causing terrible acne and skin rashes. Eliminating the maca root from use removed most of acne and rashes I was experiencing. 

Now when I buy a new soap / cream that I have never used, I start its use by using it exclusively for several days until I feel comfortable with it. I use the same principle with aftershave balms as well. I have had bad skin reactions to stirling soap company shaving balms and also crown shaving company shave balms.

I do not believe that benefit has been mentioned, but it does make sense.

100 1,967
 08-15-2019, 05:19 PM
User Info
I haven't posted much lately but I'm moving onto Mike's Hungarian Lavender for the next few weeks - my current bath soap is a "sea salt and lavender" so it's nice to have that consistency.

I have noticed that one of the oils is starting to smell slightly rancid - something I found in a BST Mike's soap but I had hoped it was a one-off. Maybe I will be 3017'ing it?

6 1,082
 08-16-2019, 10:59 AM
User Info
Gents,

I used Stirling Iced Pineapple Soap and Aftershave all week, and I like it so much I am going to continue into next week as well! Who knows how long this goes...probably to the middle of next week I imagine!

Also, used the same Star Model 100 razor, vintage Gillette Platinum Plus blade, and Thater three band brush for face lathers all week as well!

The shaves have been nothing short of SUPERB!

I hope that everyone has a nice weekend!

Vr

Matt

32 1,557
 08-16-2019, 07:40 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(08-09-2019, 12:51 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(08-09-2019, 10:00 AM)Nero Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 05:21 PM)Gabe Wrote: From a very generous member here. It was a limited edition from 2011. There is little information about it. 

One thread on TSN.

Cool, thanks.

Too early to tell. I love the performance of the hard pucks. The scent however goes to this soft soap. It does not have that base scent, that some compare to wet cardboard paper, that the hard pucks has. I have not used other Valobra soft soaps.

Just wondering how it went on the whole last week with the soft soap? Feel more comfortable making comparisons with the hard puck?

91 3,778