05-13-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
It's been awhile since i really posted and let you guys know my shaving endeavors, so this post will cover a few things.

Firstly, thanks to Steve, (Steve56), i have been enjoying the wonderful world of the Straight Razor Experience. I have used it a couple times for my headshaves, which is a bit of a challenge for certain angles in the back. Overall, it has been fairly easy for me. It's been said that it'll take almost 100 shaves before I'm comfortable with a staight razor, but i have proven this assumption and theory incorrect. Maybe in my blood, deep down, I'm as old school as my grandfather, because honestly, there hasn't been any issue with the blade angle, razor pressure, and technique for me the last couple of months. I do however, prefer to use my wonderful DE's for shaving my head, but i will be on the hunt to find a really great straight razor, to add to my collection and treasures that i plan on passing down to my son. Actually, i want a lot of them!

I bring this up to state that i wanted to truly experience this tradition the "traditional" way of my peers and actually use it on my face: which resulted in a face shave!

Yes, i shaved the beard off, but left a pretty thin goatee, as I'm not the type of gentleman to go without a manly moustache or facial hair of some sort. It was very meaningful to do this.

Most of you guys know that I love having a beard, and have stated that i won't be shaving it. So, since that's the case, I'm growing it back as we speak. The beard was becoming very wiry, so i figured, it was time to regrow it and what better way to do this than to use this borrowed beauty to shave it off.

[Image: 257616bcc17b96005e71a0dd13198ab6.jpg]

All of this actually happened last week, but work and getting over a really bad stomach flu has taken me away from TSN. Some what better now, and getting a couple days off from work, I'm back to being able to enjoy you guys and the information given here and will be posting some new finds. I happily want to share in the monthly haul and SOTD as well.

Take care gentlemen.,
Bryan

1 1,975
 05-13-2015, 02:06 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Wow .. pics of the clean face please. Biggrin

102 18,552
 05-13-2015, 02:09 PM
User Info
Nice pic but I have to agree with Ravi on another!  Biggrin

Glad to see you back and feeling better Bryan! 

147 3,460
 05-13-2015, 03:36 PM
User Info
Lol, you guy's are funny.
I didn't take any right after i shaved, but i have an older picture of me, that looks like how i did a week ago when i shaved.

Without my beard:

[Image: 4bf9eb83a2bdae2c13eb11d1ea487cde.jpg]

After a week of shaving of beard: (this past weekend in Seattle)

[Image: 2f13e94fba74864698895b42a81ac7cc.jpg]

1 1,975
 05-13-2015, 03:46 PM
User Info
Wow!  It's amazing in the difference a little bit of hair makes! Looking good my friend! 

147 3,460
 05-13-2015, 03:48 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed.

Bryan's a handsome fellow, with or without the extra facial hair. Biggrin

102 18,552
 05-13-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
Heh, thanks you guys. I appreciate you two.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 05-13-2015, 04:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice Bryan.  The clean shaven picture reminds me of some NFL player but I can't recall the name right now.

175 23,752
 05-13-2015, 04:39 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Glad your getting better Bryan. Sounds like your really a natural with the straights. Enjoy!

59 4,382
 05-13-2015, 04:53 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Lookin' good. Keep up that straight razor shavin'.   Biggrin

38 5,030
 05-13-2015, 06:34 PM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
Looks good. Looked good before, too, but very different.

Which face does your wife prefer?

11 517
 05-13-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
Look at that handsome young man! You look great with your goatee, Bryan! Congratulations and a benefit to keep shaving that beard now since you are comfortable with straights. Therefore, you can use them every day on more areas of your face! Once your wife sees you wielding that straight razor around, she'll completely forget about your beard and just see how manly you look!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-13-2015, 07:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Bryan, glad to hear you're feeling back to more normal. I admire how you've taken to the straight razor. I'm not ready to try yet; still having too much fun with DEs... I feel as you do about the connection to your Grandfather. I think of my Poppy often when changing blades and painting lather on with a boar brush. It's a treat to share this bond with him. Thanks for bringing it up  Cool. Nice face hair, btw!

4 1,915
 05-14-2015, 05:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Glad to hear you're feeling better my man. I feel you on the connection to your grandfather, I have some DEs that belonged to my pop and gramps and I always think of them when I use them.  Anyways, you look GQ, and in the prime of your life. Keep on keeping on.

7 2,279
 05-14-2015, 08:36 AM
User Info
(05-13-2015, 04:27 PM)Johnny Wrote: Very nice Bryan.  The clean shaven picture reminds me of some NFL player but I can't recall the name right now.
Hmmm, not sure who, but about 2 years ago, a young girl at the grocery store saw me with a fresh goatee and clean shaved head and asked if anybody told me that i looked like The Rock! Lol, i am kinda muscular, but that was unexpected.
(05-13-2015, 04:39 PM)eengler Wrote: Glad your getting better Bryan. Sounds like your really a natural with the straights. Enjoy!
I really think i might be, Ed! It's awesome to be able to look death in the face and tell him, heh, go find someone else!
(05-13-2015, 04:53 PM)evnpar Wrote: Lookin' good. Keep up that straight razor shavin'.   Biggrin
Thank you Richard. I surely will!
(05-13-2015, 06:34 PM)robk Wrote: Looks good. Looked good before, too, but very different.

Which face does your wife prefer?
Thank you Rob. I appreciate you. She loves it all, but wants me to keep a full beard. She likes to play with it and thinks it looks great with a bald head.

(05-13-2015, 06:38 PM)celestino Wrote: Look at that handsome young man! You look great with your goatee, Bryan! Congratulations and a benefit to keep shaving that beard now since you are comfortable with straights. Therefore, you can use them every day on more areas of your face! Once your wife sees you wielding that straight razor around, she'll completely forget about your beard and just see how manly you look!  Biggrin

Heh, she was freaked out when she came home from her meeting at church one night, and saw me whisking away the hair on my face with no problem. She thought i was playing, telling her I'm actually going to use these while i have them! She thought it was a myth that men use to use these!

(05-13-2015, 07:56 PM)chazt Wrote: Bryan, glad to hear you're feeling back to more normal. I admire how you've taken to the straight razor. I'm not ready to try yet; still having too much fun with DEs... I feel as you do about the connection to your Grandfather. I think of my Poppy often when changing blades and painting lather on with a boar brush. It's a treat to share this bond with him. Thanks for bringing it up  Cool. Nice face hair, btw!

Thank you Chaz. Much appreciated! That stomach flu was no joke. I was even holding back tears because of the pain i was in. There is nothing like the connection with the Greatest Generation.

(05-14-2015, 05:00 AM)Mouser Wrote: Glad to hear you're feeling better my man. I feel you on the connection to your grandfather, I have some DEs that belonged to my pop and gramps and I always think of them when I use them.  Anyways, you look GQ, and in the prime of your life. Keep on keeping on.

Ken, that's awesome! It was very disheartening when my grandfather passed away in 08. People up in Alaska ran sacked his place, (he was a pillar and mason in the community in Fairbanks), and only a couple of my relatives have some things of his for remembrance. Sad to say, not much for us grandchildren, but none the less, memories are far greater!

1 1,975
 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
Good to see you enjoying yourself , I appreciate you sharing this story with us as well. Straight razor shaving is a love of mine and a beautiful experience altogether.

59 1,406