05-14-2015, 08:21 AM
User Info
I have a Gillette NEW razor with the long comb, and I love the way it shaves. I was just wondering how the shaving abilities of these two similar razors (short vs long) compare.

Anybody got both?
Euro

5 395
 05-14-2015, 09:40 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have the short and was wondering about the long. Waiting for those with both.  

Thanks for starting the thread. 

By the way I really like the short. 

7 450
 05-14-2015, 11:23 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Maybe others can, but I honestly don't notice much of a difference. I find them both pretty aggressive. I've never done an A-B comparison, but blindfolded, I don't think I could tell them apart. 

60 843
 05-14-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
I've got both too. I agree with jtmke. Its hard to tell the difference.
Awesome shavers

1 171
 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM
User Info
I only have a New LC and I love it!!  I don't find it aggressive as its so smooth. YMMV

3 218
 05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
I find the LC a bit more agressive than the SC. Both give a fine shave.

18 194
 05-15-2015, 05:47 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
I had a short comb and found it to be harsh so I got rid of it.
Picked up a long comb to try and it's one of my favorites, very nice, I use it frequently.
Gillette NEW Long Comb with an Astra SP, lathered up with Tabac, it just doesn't get any better! Smooth, Smooth & Smooth.
As you can see, some don't feel a difference, some prefer the short comb & some prefer the long comb.
The only way you can know for yourself is to try both, but then I think you already knew that.
It all comes down to that YMMV thing.

0 136
 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
The LC NEW is a great shaver. 

I am currently using a British Raised Flat Bottom NEW, and it's just like the LC NEW but smoother.  One of the best shavers I've ever used.  My other recommendation for the NEW family is a NEW Deluxe.  A little harder to come by, but for me, worth the effort.  In comparison to the LC NEW, the New Deluxe is more efficient and at least as smooth. 

Can't really go wrong with any of the NEWs, IMO.  I always pair them with aftermarket handles that are longer, usually wider, and heavier than the original handles, which makes these razor heads shine even more. 

2 1,455
 05-18-2015, 07:24 PM
  • jarobe
  • Auckland, New Zealand
User Info
I use my short comb at least once a week. I love it. I tried a long comb, it may have just been the one I tried, but I found it terrible. Each to their own I guess.

0 40
 07-02-2015, 07:48 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
I've used the NEW LC, SC and British raised flat-bottom SC. For me the best balance of efficiency and smoothness is the American SC (I sold the other two). Try them all, keep what works, and you can probably re-sell what doesn't fly with little or no loss. Having said that, they are all great razors.

12 165