05-16-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
Out of my non slants, my 2 favorites are the R41 and the DLC OC.  I absolutely love both.  Of course I should just be happy with them.  Are there others that people have tried and really enjoyed that are in the same camp as one or the other?  I'm always up for trying new razors and would like some suggestions.

95 193
 05-16-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
Hi buddy!
On two ends of the price spectrum, I recommend:
Merkur Progress
ATT H2

Both are favorites in my lineup...

Happy Hunting!!!

18 194
 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM
User Info
R41 is my favorite razor, my newest purchase was a merkur futur. I'm really liking the futur on 4-5 you really can't feel the blade in the razor and it gives really good shaves.

3 1,356
 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
Don´t own a Futur.
My most liked razors right now are

Merkur progress, for a complete shave
Mühle R41, for a two pass shave with only little corrections

For finishing passes I want a mild razor, the R41 cannot do that on a daily basis
With the Progress I can start in a medium setting and then tune it down to a very mild setting, as needed. Also, the blade angle is very easy to find.

21 1,175
 05-16-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
I would recomend the Ikon Safety Bar... and since you already have the open comb you only need to buy the baseplate. A blemished baseplate is $20.00 on there website. All of my Ikon razors have been "Blemished" and I have never been able to find any obvious defects. Great deal IMHO.

3 78
 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
I like my R41 and my 37C slant but I was wanting something in between the R41 and like a DE89 head. Did a little research and purchased c a Matador Toro Mastiff. It's said to be in between the two.  We shall see if this is comfort with aggression.

49 356
 05-17-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
I love the iKon Standard bar razor -- bit of a beast, like the R41. I am very keen to try the ATT H plates.

FaTip is another razor that gets a lot of love on the net -- great aggressive shavers, but I'm not impressed with their quality control. By many accounts, the percentage of mis-aligned posts in the top cap is high, resulting in uneven blade exposure. The cost of FaTip razors is low, but I'd rather pay Mühle prices and get a FaTip with Mühle plating and QC.

That said, my FaTip piccolo gives such a good shave, I'm considering getting it re-plated. Rhodium maybe.......

Other than that, I find myself using a slant, more often than not. I also enjoy some of my milder razors with a shim (or two) under the blade -- some old friends get back in the rotation.
Euro

5 395
 05-18-2015, 05:21 AM
User Info
Have you tried the Gillette NEW?

8 98
 05-18-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
For me the futur can go as mild or aggressive as I like in a razor. When it's turned down to the lowest settings it gives a very mild shave. When you turn it all the way up it is pretty close to r41 aggressiveness. I shave with an r41 most of the time. However just to mix things up a bit I'll do a 3 pass shave with a futur on 4 or 4.5. For me at least I get the same results from a futur than I do with the r41. The difference again for me is the futur isn't as picky with blades as the r41 is,and of course you can turn the futur down if need be. 

I also have a fatip,but I prefer the r41 to it and it never gets used (my wife uses it). Also own a 37c and 39c and they don't get used since I bought a futur. I'll be honest when I first got the futur I didn't like it all that much,it's a lot different from other razors. However after about 3-4 shaves with it I really started liking it. I own some gillette adjustables as well but no other razor can compare to the futur l when it comes to having a setting for everybody.

3 1,356
 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM
User Info
I personally found the H2 not nearly that smooth, just gave me a rough kinda shave.  If I were gonna get another one to go with the two you have, I would look at the Wolfman WR1-OC.  Very sweet razor!

2 116