05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
User Info
I know there is no "best" but what soaps/creams would you recommend for someone with sensitive skin? Nothing to heavily scented, good post-shave feel, soothing ingredients, etc.

0 54
 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM
User Info
Without knowing your allergies it will be hard to judge. For me Arko and Pre de Provence work wonderfully and they are part of my rotation.

A lot of artisan soaps I will have issue with because of their fragrance or essential oils. Mystic Water does make a special soap for sensitive skin but I have never tried it. Some big brand main stays are Proraso White for sensitive skin and Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street for sensitive skin.

If you can buy small samples before you buy a whole tub it really helps.

2 106
 05-18-2015, 08:52 PM
User Info
When I first started wet shaving I avoided soaps with scents but have found that the scents don't bother my skin very much. Some of the first soaps I bought were Proraso white and TOBS Jermyn Street because they are marketed for sensitive skin, both work well but Jermyn Street was not what I was expecting. It is heavily scented and is probably still one of the most heavily scented soaps/creams that I own. I just got a puck of Mystic Waters Sensitive but haven't used it yet but if its like the other Mystic soaps I have tried it will be amazing. I would recommend Latha from Barrister and Mann, it has a very neutral/medicinal scent but is not unscented. Most soap/cream makers will have an unscented variety you could try but ultimately you have to experiment to find something that you like and works well for you.

3 78
 05-18-2015, 08:54 PM
User Info
Mystic Water has a Sensitive Skin soap with no FOs/EOs added that has great post-shave properties and you'll also find some of the other artisans offer a scent-free soap. 
Good luck. 

82 21,056
 05-19-2015, 12:56 AM
User Info
I'm rather sensitive to heavily perfumed items. I have found that my skin isn't as sensitive as my nose, but some things do still bother me. Can't use MdC at all in any of the 3 scents.

Proraso Blue cream is great. Scent is awesome and performance is great for the price. 
Haslinger Schafmilch soap is a fantastic performer IMO and has nearly no scent.
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cream is my new favorite. No skin irritation and post shave is great. Scent isn't overwhelming, though is much stronger than the other two I mentioned.
CO Bigelow/Proraso green is great too. Very soothing and great shave. But the scent is strong. Menthol is not easy on the nose, but I find it pleasant personally.

Ultimately, you'll have to try things out to decide. I'm severely allergic to a number of things and take shots for it every week, but honestly, knowing all that made little to no difference with choosing soaps/creams, because the ingredients are often chemical in nature and not something you are normally tested for by an allergist.

4 63
 05-19-2015, 03:12 AM
User Info
I to have sensitive skin but I've noticed that my bread is a lot thicker then most folks so i normally need to go with more cushion then anything and found catties bubbles to work perfectly. Soaps like mickey lee's, Soap Commander & PAA just give irritation. Does anyone suggest any other soaps i also MDC to work pretty well for me skin as well. 

9 270
 05-19-2015, 04:04 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(05-18-2015, 08:02 PM)Justino_14 Wrote: I know there is no "best" but what soaps/creams would you recommend for someone with sensitive skin? Nothing to heavily scented, good post-shave feel, soothing ingredients, etc.

Sapone di Paolo unscented and Catie's Bubbles le Nude might work for you. 

Regards,
Alex

111 1,400
 05-19-2015, 04:10 AM
User Info
Baume.Be shave cream and their shave balm are both excellent. It was actually made by a wet shaver who had the same problems as yourself. It is definitely top shelf stuff, but a little pricy. You get what you pay for and comes in an all black glass container. It has a very nice and clean smell to it and the post shave feel is out of this world. 

49 356
 05-19-2015, 04:31 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Try MWF, Proraso Blue and ToOBS Avocado.

49 1,938
 05-19-2015, 10:47 PM
User Info
There is a fine balance between what is offered in "sensitive" products and what a really good product can do.

Mike's natural and B&M are great soaps that give amazing cushion and protection.

Proraso blue has aloe which helps heal the skin and Vitamin E. While it performs well my skin is less irritated, has fewer nicks, and feels better after using Mike's.

Keep track of what does and doesn't work and try to find a common ground.

4 146
 05-20-2015, 03:01 AM
User Info
 my two cents:

skin care comes first. If you cannot shave with the soap base in the long term, because it drains your epidermis off the oils then be sure you get that right before talking about scents-
 A healthy skin barrier will long term  improve your sensitivities and may 
prevent new allergies from happening and exacerbating.

Avoid substances you know you are already allergic to, anyhow.You may find an improvement in sensitivity if you use good soap. Simple as that. Avoid modern highly effective skin cleaning agents. Instead, try primitive and cheap soap with a overdose of fat. tallow soap preferred, olive oil may work well)

I tend to avoid hot process Coconut based soaps, and can recommend Mystic Waters among other soaps. Quite a fewFellow shavenookers have substantial experience with sensitivities and soap choice. Looking forward to what they will say myself!

Philipp

21 1,175
 05-20-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
I believe I fall in that sensitive skin category. My current favorite is Mike's unscented. It has a very nice tallow base and produces a very uneventful shave with all of my razors. Some may not like the way Mike's soaps lather, but I find it to be just fine, albeit a bit thinner than some. But talk about a slick, protective shave experience and Mike's soaps stand out. 

6 34
 05-20-2015, 01:06 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
Esbjerg Grapefruit, end of story.

56 2,538
 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM
User Info
What does sensitive mean to your face?

For me, I have sensitive skin in the sense that I am very nick prone and the skin on my neck is easily irritated. Plus, my beard is pretty hard as well.

79 1,295
 05-20-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
Are you sensitive to certain scents or ingredients or just suffer from razor burn very easily. For me my neck gets razor burn super easy, my beard is like an overgrown forest on my face. The best soaps for me are PAA,TOBS avacado ,cella,proraso. Probably in that order. I really suggest going to maggards and getting a sample of some soaps. You can get I believe the whole TOBS line for around 25 bucks. They also have many other samples of soaps as well. Do your research, if certain scents or ingredients bother you steer clear. For me I went for a type of soap or cream that worked best for me performance wise first, and only after I found a soap I got good shaves with did I go back and find a better scent. There are certain brands you always here in peoples favorite list, I suggest trying the first. Cella is super easy on my skin, the smell is tolerable and doesn't linger and it performs well. Most soaps scents won't linger that long anyway,especially if you use a post balm or aftershave which with sensitive neck an Alum Block  has kept me irritation free since I started using it. A good aftershave or balm is ok,but for me alum is the most helpful and important. YMMV

3 1,356
 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
(05-19-2015, 04:10 AM)jhawlz Wrote: Baume.Be shave cream and their shave balm are both excellent. It was actually made by a wet shaver who had the same problems as yourself. It is definitely top shelf stuff, but a little pricy. You get what you pay for and comes in an all black glass container. It has a very nice and clean smell to it and the post shave feel is out of this world. 

+1

0 12
 05-20-2015, 03:38 PM
User Info
Truefitt & Hill: Ultimate Comfort, it's a little pricey but it's a really nice unscented shaving cream which is great for sensitive skin. Provides excellent cushioning and glide for you razor.

7 783
 05-20-2015, 04:36 PM
User Info
I've tried most of the soaps mentioned here already and none of them come close to Provence Sante. Pre de Provence a distant second. The scent of PS is mild and light. The soap itself is mild and isn't only nonirritating but it is anti-irritating because of the talc. By far the best thing about PS is the post shave. Not even MWF beats it.

18 713
 05-20-2015, 05:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have very fair, standard irish issue skin. I am theoretically sensitive but oddly can handle heavy lanolin wools, perfumes and any blade sans MERKUR and FEATHERS.
There is such a plethora ( Say with The Three Amigos accent) of ingredients a strategy of finding a possible culprit may be daunting. My mainstay soap is DITTMARS.
 It comes in humble packaging and has no scent worth talking about. What it DOES have, or doesn't is a product stripped of all those variables that many people have various issues with. It gives an excellent shave; hot or cold water( another potential for skin irritation) and lasts forever with some milling process that must involve a circus elephant stomping the pucks. AND, if you don't get along with it you can SELL it at little loss to it's quiet band of fans.

2 3,171
 05-20-2015, 06:55 PM
User Info
(05-20-2015, 05:15 PM)kav Wrote: I have very fair, standard irish issue skin. I am theoretically sensitive but oddly can handle heavy lanolin wools, perfumes and any blade sans MERKUR and FEATHERS.
There is such a plethora ( Say with The Three Amigos accent) of ingredients a strategy of finding a possible culprit may be daunting. My mainstay soap is DITTMARS.
 It comes in humble packaging and has no scent worth talking about. What it DOES have, or doesn't is a product stripped of all those variables that many people have various issues with. It gives an excellent shave; hot or cold water( another potential for skin irritation) and lasts forever with some milling process that must involve a circus elephant stomping the pucks. AND, if you don't get along with it you can SELL it at little loss to it's quiet band of fans.

I would not recommend Dr. Dittmar for people with sensitive skin. It intentionally has a very high PH in order to soften the beard better than other soaps, says so in the booklet they give. This also makes it harsh on the skin because a high PH dissolves the skin. The soap is the same as Gold Dachs which alot of people experience burning with. I know Dittmar itself gives me burning. It would be a good soap for me if it wasn't for that. It is very stable, easy to lather, slick, softening and overall very balanced.

18 713