05-19-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
has me considering one. I currently shave about every other day with my Fatip, but sometimes get some irritation on my neck, when I go for the BBS, where my whiskers grow in flat cowlicks. I am not convinced that the slant concept applies to shaving, or would make a noticeable difference. I really don't need to spend money another razor...

Talk me into or out of one!

0 24
 05-19-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
You do not NEED a slant razor. 
You can achieve the same effect by angling the head of your DE razor to simulate the guillotine. That's what I do. I call it the "Primo Glide".  Biggrin 

Now, if you want a slant razor, that's a different story and there a number of excellent slant bars. I also have one, the Merkur 37C. It a good all-around slant bar razor.

Check out this thread: http://shavenook.com/thread-who-needs-a-slant

39 3,955
 05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
And don't forget to take a look at this one: http://shavenook.com/thread-the-slant-concept

2 5,548
 05-19-2015, 03:31 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
For me - trying a Slant was one of the best things I did since starting this hobby. I sold all my non-slants over time and now only use Slant DEs. Of course YMMV.

17 535
 05-19-2015, 03:56 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Primo has a great thought there-using the glide. I bought a Merkur 37C and loved it. I've got th ATT S1 and S2 slants in my quiver. all tightly strung with worthy blades

19 753
 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
 I love my slants but not more than my others.  I don't think that a slant is necessarily the logical answer to your Fatip-redness problem.  Why not try an adjustable or simply a less aggressive razor.  However, if you are set on a slant I would consider Ikon's 102 model - I think this is my favorite slant.

1 796
 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM
User Info
You'll never know until you at least try one! The Merkur 37C is a good one to try as they are readily available and adequately priced. 
Good luck and have fun. 

83 21,115
 05-19-2015, 07:09 PM
User Info
(05-19-2015, 06:54 PM)celestino Wrote: You'll never know until you at least try one! The Merkur 37C is a good one to try as they are readily available and adequately priced. 
Good luck and have fun. 

I agree with Celestino here. 

I do like slants, and I think that there is a bit more to it than the guillotine stroke or whatever you want to call it. Is it a big difference from regular DE razors? No. Does it make a noticeable difference? I think so. Will it be 'right' for you? Nobody can determine that besides you. 

37 1,743
 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM
User Info
I suggest the 39c over the 37c, for me it shaves better with the added weight under the head, and the length of the handle. I also think it has more to do with more than a slide technique,maybe it's the way the blade is torqued ,along with blade gap and exposure. For me at least I get a lot better results with a slant razor,than doing the gillette slide. YMMV. For the most part most people who try a slant love them,I used my 39c earlier to give a little variety since I've been shaving with the r41 exclusively. I got a very nice shave that was just as good as with the r41 but not as harsh. It did take a 3rd pass. The 39c will always have a place in my bathroom, I also have a 37c that never ever gets used,due to the 39c being that good.YMMV

3 1,356
 05-20-2015, 06:23 AM
  • rzedan
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Slants are awesome. You should definitely try one and start with a merkur. Either 37 or 39
BUT be cautious about pursuing a BBS on your neck. I've tried many different heads, slants, blades, angles, etc. what will mandate this will be the technique and for some of us (many of us) the attempt at a neck BBS is not worth it. Skin type and hair thickness and all. Find what works for you to give you a great experience and one you truly enjoy.
I'm happy with a DFS but........ Obligatory YMMV.
Happy shaves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 164
 05-20-2015, 06:40 AM
User Info
To me there is very little difference between a slant and a regular head however, I like the cutting action. My 102 Shavecraft slant is a very smooth shaver and cuts fairly close.

122 13,217