05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
User Info
Last week, I was returning home to Boston from Milwaukee after visiting a sick relative. I decided that this would be a fantastic opportunity to do a shaving shop tour on the way home. My main focus was aftershave splashes, as I only had two. I started in Chicago at Q Brothers. This shop was excellent. I was reminded instantly of my trip to DR Harris in London as soon as I walked in the door. I was greeted by a nice gentleman (not one of the Q Brothers) and informed him I was looking for a bottle of Myrsol Blue to sample (I did not see one on the shelf with the other testers). He told me that they were no longer able to stock that product. I was a bit disappointed, but still enthused to try the other Myrsol offerings. I picked up the Formula C and the F Extra (which I now have found I do not particularly care for the scent), as well as a bottle of the DR Harris Pink Aftershave. When I went to the counter to pay for my selections, the gentleman that had greeted me was waiting for me with a new tester of the Myrsol Blue. I gave it to me free of charge. And I must say, it smells fantastic. So big thumbs up for Q Brothers. I was never expecting such a kind gesture.

I got on the road a bit late and Chicago traffic was unforgiving, so I was unable to make it in time to Maggards in Adrian, MI. I really wanted to see their new shop, but it was late and I needed to get to my hotel in Cleveland. On tap for the following morning was a trip to Imperial Shaving (straightrazordesigns.com) in Medina, OH. While a little out of the way, the visit was absolutely worth it. I had never tried Xpec, but was interested in giving it a shot, especially since they were advertising it online for $59. I arrived at the location and made my way downstairs to the shop. This place was huge. Everywhere I looked I saw something I wanted to try. I went through the store twice over the course of about 45 minutes. But where was the Xpec? I asked the gentleman behind the counter and he pointed me to the one shelf I didn't look at. I told him I had never tried it but was interested. There was no tester to sample the scented version, so I played it safe and picked up a tub of the unscented, only to turn around and find the gentleman holding a tub of the scented. He informed me that they had just gotten in a recent shipment and the tub he was holding had some minor damage to the outer wall (some of the plastic had broken away). I took a sniff. "Smells great," I thought. He offered it to me for $30. I never thought I'd have this much luck in such a short span. They also had a DR Harris Almond shaving cream without a box as well as some bottles of Fine aftershave in the "scratch and dent" area. I took the scented tub and bought the unscented as well. I also picked up a bottle of the TOBS St. James Cologne (couldn't ignore the rave review from PaulHFilms). I also decided to purchase a Wee Scott shaving brush for my son who will be arriving in October, so he can "pretend" to shave with me in a few years time. Almost bought the Oxford and Cambridge soap, as it smelled fantastic, but decided to hold off and purchase in the future. They also loaded my bag with samples. I hope to return to this store in the future. It was amazing.

So the moral of the story, if you happen to be anywhere near either of these shops, you owe it to yourself to pop in and have a look. You will not be disappointed. Note to the moderators, I am fairly new here, so if this thread is in the wrong section, feel free to relocate it. Apologies in advance.

160 1,037
 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The two places you visited I hope to visit someday.  Thanks for the review.  Hope the health of your relative is okay now.

178 23,808
 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like a great time!

59 4,492
 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM
User Info
(05-20-2015, 10:56 AM)eengler Wrote: Sounds like a great time!

+1 and you got some very good deals!  Thumbsup

83 21,077
 05-21-2015, 04:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sounds like a great road trip. Thanks for sharing. Many of us (I and me) live vicariously through experiences others (you) so graciously share. I've been in 3 brick and mortar shave shops, the 2 pasteur Pharmacys in Manhattan and an AoS in New Orleans. I'm glad they're there and that I went, but I didn't get all warm and fuzzy either - made me appreciate even more the awesome online vendors I enjoy visiting. Seems like you got more out of your visits than I did mine. You certainly picked up a nice selection of product. Enjoy!

All the best to your relative in Milwaukee. May s/he heal quickly  Smile

7 2,140
 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
(05-21-2015, 04:05 AM)chazt Wrote: Sounds like a great road trip. Thanks for sharing. Many of us (I and me) live vicariously through experiences others (you) so graciously share. I've been in 3 brick and mortar shave shops, the 2 pasteur Pharmacys in Manhattan and an AoS in New Orleans. I'm glad they're there and that I went, but I didn't get all warm and fuzzy either - made me appreciate even more the awesome online vendors I enjoy visiting. Seems like you got more out of your visits than I did mine. You certainly picked up a nice selection of product. Enjoy!

All the best to your relative in Milwaukee. May s/he heal quickly  Smile

Yes I did have some good luck with the retailers I visited. Thanks for your good wishes.

160 1,037