05-20-2015, 05:23 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
The problem discussed in this message will be better understood if one sees this post.  

The first line and a half of my reply (in the posting above) displays in a tiny point size; I did not select a tiny font.  The site will not allow me to increase the size to match the reminder of my reply.  It simply ignores all attempts to make the first two lines of the paragraph match (in size) the remainder of the paragraph.

1 1,109
 05-20-2015, 05:35 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Go back and hit "Reply" to the post you cite above. Then click on the furthermost icon directly above the type box--it looks like a page (View Source). This shows the "under-the-hood" coding that results in the formatted text you see (bold, italics, type size and color, etc.).

You will see that there is a lot of extraneous html coding intermingled with your text. Delete all of that and start over. 

60 849
 05-20-2015, 05:59 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Check out your above linked thread and let me know if that looks better to you.  It is all the same now.

Doing what greyhawk said except, instead of clicking on reply, click on edit, then the icon he mentioned.  I deleted anything that had to do with font type and font size.

179 23,927
 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(05-20-2015, 05:59 PM)Johnny Wrote: Check out your above linked thread and let me know if that looks better to you.  It is all the same now.

Doing what greyhawk said except, instead of clicking on reply, click on edit, then the icon he mentioned.  I deleted anything that had to do with font type and font size.

Good work--thanks, Johnny!
My thought was to show him a way to see the coding in a post, but as the author, of course he could actually edit his own post  Tongue

60 849
 05-20-2015, 07:37 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(05-20-2015, 05:35 PM)greyhawk Wrote: Then click on the furthermost icon directly above the type box--it looks like a page (View Source). This shows the "under-the-hood" coding that results in the formatted text you see (bold, italics, type size and color, etc.).

That is very helpful.  I much prefer coding with the codes visible, but did not know heretofore how to make the codes show since this site was reworked a few months ago,  The icon does not, in fact, show as a page on my screen (if you care, the reason why is later in this reply).  

Quote:You will see that there is a lot of extraneous html coding intermingled with your text. Delete all of that and start over.

Those extraneous codes were the residue of my repeated attempts, while working blind, to get the line and a half of text not to show as teensy tiny.

Tangent:  The reason why I do not see the icon displayed as you describe is that I always override the display "font" (technically, "typefece") when I visit ShaveNook.  If I could not override the typeface, I would never visit the site, because my eyes tire quickly -- very quickly -- reading text in sans serif typefaces.  Western typefaces evolved over three millennia for both beauty and legibility.  The culmination of that evolution sits on the shelf of every library:  every book in your library that is mostly text is set in a serifed typeface.  Every newspaper (remember newspapers?) in the Western world is set in a serifed typeface.  Dedicated book-reading electronic appliances, like Amazon Kindle, default to serifed typefaces.  There is a reason:  serifs aid legibility.  It is as simple as that.  With a serifed typeface, you can easily distinguish "corn from "com" and "I11inois" from "Illinois"; you can spell NBA guard Arron Afflalo's name correctly; a lot of people screw it up using a sans serif typeface.

Again, thank you for telling me how to make the codes to show.

1 1,109
 05-20-2015, 07:42 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(05-20-2015, 05:59 PM)Johnny Wrote: Check out your above linked thread and let me know if that looks better to you.  It is all the same now.

I deleted anything that had to do with font type and font size.

Thank you, Johhny, but in the process of deleting the font type, you uglified Tongue  and reduced the legibility of the reply that I had written.  I could not easily read my own words; so I changed it back to the Georgia typeface in which I originally had written it, and it is once again legible.

1 1,109